• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Black White and Chrome Fission 2.3.1 Theme

bouchigo

Android Expert
Aug 10, 2010
Stockton, CA
I like the blkwhtnchrome theme modded by faber78, so I decided to port it over for Fission 2.3.1.

The usual disclaimer; please be sure you know how to apply themes properly, I don't want to be held responsible if something goes wrong. Always make a backup of your current setup in case you don't like this theme or something goes wrong.

The LauncherPro dock background and the custom LauncherPro apk modded by signals23 over at xda (I changed a couple of icons to match the overall theme) are both located in the folder called "BlackWhiteChrome" which should have been installed to your SD Card.

You have to manually install the LauncherPro apk called "LP_XTG_Clear_Mod". I did it like this for those who don't want to use LauncherPro and prefer another launcher.

Updated 12/15/10 @ 7:56a

Made some mods to make text more visible, more changes to dialer, some changes to the music apk, and changed boot animation. A lot of collaboration with faber78, thanks man.

New Download Link with Stock Animations: BWC_Fission_2.3.1_Final.zip

New Download Link with Fly In and Flip Animations: BWC_Fission_2.3.1_Final_FF.zip

Updated 12/13/10 @ 5:37pm; updated Dialer
New Download Link: Removed

Updated 12/13/10 Removed Gmail apk.
Here it is: Removed

If you want to install the modded Gmail apk, just know that when you update the Gmail app in the market, the current mods to the Gmail apk will be overwritten:

Here it is: Gmail.apk

If you want more pics or screenshots, look at the initial thread:
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/231281-blkwhtnchrome-fission-2-2-2-a.html

Screenshots:

3-1.png

2-1.png

1-1.png

4.png

5.png

man you rock!
this was the first one i was gonna do once i finish the update....awesome, now i dont have to. :)
(been sicker then crap all weekend and patience is so short, feel horrible, havent been this sick in years).

justintoxicated got blue moved over, though he needs to work on the bar colors. i may fix it for him once i can test it after update.

this one has become my favorite though, for sure.

Yeah, I haven't been feeling well since Friday either, I didn't even go to work. I just finised it up a few hours ago.

I put launcherpro in a folder on the SD card so people can choose to instal it or not if they don't want to.

I also added the ApeX fonts because I like those :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, I haven't been feeling well since Friday either, I didn't even go to work. I just finised it up a few hours ago.

I put launcherpro in a folder on the SD card so people can choose to instal it or not if they don't want to.

I also added the ApeX fonts because I like those :D

Nice work bouchigo!, Faber78, if you want I can do launcher pro and additional add ins for the blue theme, in the same way, or as two separate builds. Send me an email on your preferences.

Upvote 0
Nice work bouchigo!, Faber78, if you want I can do launcher pro and additional add ins for the blue theme, in the same way, or as two separate builds. Send me an email on your preferences.
bro, set it up however you like.
doesnt bother me a bit if anyone changes anything i do.
it def. isnt gonna bother me if you change something on a theme you were an insane amount of help on....

hoped you'd take it over at some point anyway :) (if you wanted to).

Upvote 0
@bouchigo
booted up great, looks good. dig the font.

-lost the icons in the launcher pro menu from being themed and dialer
not sure what else yet.
-gmail did immediate force close, but had an update in market that fixed it. maybe gmail in theme is old one or somethign? (may need to be just taken out/may have just been me?)
get a chance we can take a look.

you'll have to show me how you changed that install credits thing, that was sweet....:)

Upvote 0
@bouchigo
booted up great, looks good. dig the font.

-lost the icons in the launcher pro menu from being themed and dialer
not sure what else yet.
-gmail did immediate force close, but had an update in market that fixed it. maybe gmail in theme is old one or somethign? (may need to be just taken out/may have just been me?)
get a chance we can take a look.

you'll have to show me how you changed that install credits thing, that was sweet....:)

I downloaded the update to Gmail and it has a few more files in it than the older version. I just added the icons from the older Gmail apk you were using to the new Gmail apk and replaced it in the apps folder of the theme.

I did a wipe of my phone and fresh installation of Fission 2.3.1 and then applied the theme. The force closes are gone now, it opens right up to my gmail; I made sure "Sync Gmail" was checked in accounts settings first.

What icons are missing? I didn't really get to play with it much when I was on 2.2.2, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Changing the install credits is pretty easy to do, I can show you no problem.

I'll update the file in the first post once we get it all worked out.

EDIT:

Though you made a good point about just removing the Gmail app. The reason being that any time there is an update to the app the icons are going to get overwritten, so there may be no point in keeping it in the apps folder.

What do you think?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
yep scarlet johansson....so hot....:)

@bo:
here's dialer:
snap20101213_112846.png

snap20101213_112812.png

all farther ive got, still need to finish up, find appropriate gmail to port to, fix settings icons, etc.....do add ons you had.

here is link so far:
blkwhtchrome2.3.1TEST1.zip

was working on a color change thread from your help with learning that, tossed this together.

think the dialer theme part was in some weird folder like draw-hdpi-finger or something.

ill kick up a link to ya with the correct named menu icons for launcher menu and widget locker and ah....we'll finish her off....lol....no fun if we cant mess with it. :)

Upvote 0
yep scarlet johansson....so hot....:)

@bo:
here's dialer:
snap20101213_112846.png

snap20101213_112812.png

all farther ive got, still need to finish up, find appropriate gmail to port to, fix settings icons, etc.....do add ons you had.

here is link so far:
blkwhtchrome2.3.1TEST1.zip

was working on a color change thread from your help with learning that, tossed this together.

think the dialer theme part was in some weird folder like draw-hdpi-finger or something.

ill kick up a link to ya with the correct named menu icons for launcher menu and widget locker and ah....we'll finish her off....lol....no fun if we cant mess with it. :)

I didn't check the drawable-hdpi-finger folder, that may be why the dialer didn't carry over.

I removed widget locker because it's a paid app, don't know if it's a good idea to throw it into the theme???

EDIT:

There are five png files in the test1 file you posted that do not exist in the Phone.apk drawable-hdpi-finger folder in the Fission 2.3.1 Phone.apk. They are:

dial_num_1_with_vm_blk.png
dial_num_1_with_vm_wht.png
divider_vertical_dark.9.png
ic_tab_selected_friends_list.png
ic_tab_selected_starred.png.

I am guessing they are not used because they aren't defined in the .xml files, but I'm not sure if it will effect anything.

Upvote 0
I didn't check the drawable-hdpi-finger folder, that may be why the dialer didn't carry over.

I removed widget locker because it's a paid app, don't know if it's a good idea to throw it into the theme???
good point, is a bad idea....

hmmm.....may need to cut them out.
i only pulled over .png's so id assume if they arent called on then they wouldnt do anything.
wouldnt hurt to pull them though and try to keep it straight.
could try either way.

Upvote 0
They're not grayed out on mine. I changed my wallpaper too :D

I forgot to mention, the new modified Gmail apk is up in the first post.

LPiconsmatch.png
thats really odd, cause you have to put those custom icons in to the launcher setup or they stay stock....i wonder how come they didnt gray on yours?
---------------
how did you get gmail ported?

oh yeah, and how do you get the font change?
i want to try this comfortaa i keep hearing about....

Upvote 0
thats really odd, cause you have to put those custom icons in to the launcher setup or they stay stock....i wonder how come they didnt gray on yours?
---------------
how did you get gmail ported?

oh yeah, and how do you get the font change?
i want to try this comfortaa i keep hearing about....

I did put them in. There should have been a folder called BlackWhiteChrome installed to your SD Card and the modded LaunherPro is in there, along with the dock background. You have to manually install it; I didn't include it in the app folder of the theme.

Upvote 0
I did put them in. There should have been a folder called BlackWhiteChrome installed to your SD Card and the modded LaunherPro is in there, along with the dock background. You have to manually install it; I didn't include it in the app folder in the theme.
ahhh....crap, yeah that makes sense.

what about gmail/and fonts?

oh yeah, and while we're talking....lol....
can you give this a quick look over if you get a chance and see if you can catch any screw ups?

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...bar-notifications-color-change-pic-heavy.html

:) im off for a nap....lol....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones