Blackberry charger for Incredible?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. BrainZblown

BrainZblown Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that my BB Storm charger and car charger work on the Incredible. Is this ok? I did a search on here and read that people are using it on their Eris. Would it be safe to say its ok to use on the Incredible?

Advertisement
  2. Litre

Litre Member

I used mine last night with no ill results. I also used another one at work today with no problem.

3. trojanchick99

trojanchick99 Well-Known Member

Should be fine. I was excited because now I have an extra charger and cable for work.

4. BrainZblown

BrainZblown Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright. cool. thanks. It sucks tho that I bought a new car charger before I even tried the car charger. Oh well, now i have a car charger for each car.

5. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

maybe double check the voltage and mah on the label to make sure it's the same?

6. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

I am using my BB Storm charger here at work.

No problems yet.

7. fastcarsspeed

fastcarsspeed Member

charged my Inc last night without issue. She is showing fully charged this morning.

8. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

take it back...you got 30 days

9. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Any REPUTABLE USB charger will work fine.

10. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

The A/C charger the came with the phone is only 5V 1 amp which is the same as the usb on your computer. They should all work.

11. This_Is_Kyle

This_Is_Kyle Well-Known Member

I'm really excited that my Storm chargers work - now I dont have to buy extra HTC ones.

12. WPerry66

WPerry66 Active Member

I use my BB charger all the time. Nice that I now have a charger for every room of the house, and I don't have to go get a new car charger.

13. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

A standard USB port only guarantees a minimum of 100mA, not 1A, which is why it takes for-f*cking-ever to charge the phone off the USB port. This varies computer to computer though.

Keep in mind that all the micro USB chargers will output 5.1V but will vary in amperage which will change how quickly it charges the device. Higher amperage will charge faster.

14. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

In looking at the details of my BB Tour charger and my Inc charger, here is the difference:

BB Tour
    Input: 100-240V ~ 200mA 50-60 Hz 11-17VA
    Output: 5V = 700mA

Inc
    Input: 100-200V ~ 200mA 50-60 Hz
    Output: 5V = 1A

I know my other BB charger has different input (100-200V ~ 150mA 50-60 Hz).

So, is it really ok to use either of my previous BB chargers with the Inc, even though they have some voltage/amp difference?

15. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

Whenever I use my BlackBerry Storm charger on my Incredible it locks up the screen. I can't swipe. Once I unplug the charger everything works fine.

16. BiggShooter

BiggShooter Active Member

I've been using my BB Storm charger to charge my Incredible since launch day with no problems.

17. bbonox

bbonox Active Member

Yes. The input voltage will -always- be about 120V for American wall sockets (I believe 220 or 240V for European, but I'm not positive). The only thing that matters is output voltage, 5V is what's needed. The current (mA or A) determines how fast the phone will charge.

18. InfoJester

InfoJester Member

Hmmm, The output voltage should always be 5v or very close as that's the usb standard. I'm not sure it's true to say the only thing that matters is the output voltage though is it?

I notice that everyone here is using a BB chager about .5 or .7 amps to charge their HTC phones. HTC all seem to take up to 1 amp so that should work fine it might just take longer. I wonder though, what would happen if you plugged a 1 amp HTC charger into a BB that normally receives .5 amps from it's standard charger? Would it just draw the .5 amps or would it blow up? :eek: That's the way round i'd like to try as I have loads of HTC chargers but only one BB charger.

PS. Point of interest. A usb data connection (charging from your computer) gives a maximum of .5 amps which is what most of these phones will draw from it when it is connected. I timed it (I was that interested) and it took nearly exactly half the time to charge my HTC with it's 1A charger than using a .5 amp data connection. I would expect you would find the same comparing charging times from a HTC 1 amp and BB .5 amp charger.

PPS. Wall sockets are 230 volts in Europe now.

19. mtollin

mtollin Well-Known Member

I've also asked this question in several forums, but not for BB, but for my Nano. I too only want to carry one charger. Nobody has responded to any of my posts. I hope someone has an answer here.

20. InfoJester

InfoJester Member

Well my BB belongs to work so I'm tempted to try it and see, nah maybe not. :D

21. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

Your BB would draw what it needs to charge. Whether that's 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, etc. who knows what is best for the Blackberry, but it will draw what it needs. I used to charge mine all the time with a wall charger that put out 1 amp. And in the car, I often used a 1 amp charger instead of the one that came with the Blackberry - that is because I had adapters on it for micro and mini usb for other accessories. At this point, I am using my Blackberry charger in the car for the Incredible simply because the coiled cord on the charger is easier to manage.

InfoJester and nightfishing like this.
  22. shaggymatt

shaggymatt Well-Known Member

Devil's Advocate here. I got rid of my Storm in favor the Droid. I used my Storm charger in the Droid for a few months. Eventually, I ended up with totally random screen movements, being jittery and then randomly selecting icons. My buddy had the same problem with his Storm and using a non-OEM charger, that is when I put things together. Ended up getting a new device from VZW. Never used the charger again and never had the problem again. It's been several months, so I can't recall which amps or mAh but one was significantly higher than what the base unit put out for the USB adapter of the Droid.

I'll stick with OEM, especially with the backlogs for getting a device. Not a big deal since my car has a 110 volt inverter built in, between the front passenger seats. :cool:

23. andreyua

andreyua Active Member

hahaha! This is funny, I use my BB charger at work too. The battery life sucks so badly that I ussually charge it in the morning and before I go home in the evening.

24. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Same here I've been using my Storm charger at work since Apr 28th. No problems here.

25. cozzywozzy

cozzywozzy Member

When I was buying my inc. a few days ago, the verizon sales rep. said that a new charger was not necessary if I still had my blackberry storm chargers. So I think all should be fine. However, as noted by shaggymatt, I'll probably use the charger they ship with the device--just to be safe.