Blackberry Contacts to G1 Address book!??Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. porquepine

porquepine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I have learned that my Blackberry Curve does not have the ability to back up information on your Sim card. If I use the Blackberry desktop manager, I can 'backup' the Curve, but what good will that be when the file is specific for Blackberry?!:eek:

I did speak to T-mobile and they have a machine in their store that can take phones such as mine and copy the information onto a SIM card, so all hope is not lost.

Has anyone else ran into this problem with Blackberry and if so, did you find another work around to obtaining your contacts on to the G1 without having to manually type them in??

Advertisement
  2. mguthrie

mguthrie Member

If you have a Best Buy near you their Mobile department can help as well. They can transfer your contacts to your sim card too.

3. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

This is why I think I'm gradually going to start building my Google Address book, contacts, phone numbers and all that stuff... properly. There is more value in it than I originally give credit for.

Hopefully someone will make an Android Application at some point that allows you to export your contacts in whatever format your NEXT phone might require... if you switch to a Non-Android phone. Which... I may never want to do haha.

4. mguthrie

mguthrie Member

Speaking of which their should be an open contact standard where every phone keeps contacts in an xml file that you can just move between phones to switch contacts. That would be the best idea ever.

5. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the reason that hasn't happened yet is that carriers WANT you to have that 'but what about my contacts?' nagging doubt in the back of your head to keep you from getting a new phone (subsidized) or switching carriers.

6. grolen

grolen New Member

you have to save your contact list as csv file google it and you will find step by step how to do it... if you can backup your contacts from you bb to your comp and upload them to gmail account you will get them on your phone with no problem...

7. porquepine

porquepine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just went ahead and sat and worked on my Google contacts for 3 hours. Yes, it has value, but like you said, would have been much nicer to just have a program that did it all. I will admit, I now have more contacts then what I originally had: The reason for this is- I had contacts that I just used via Gmail and did not call them etc, and I had contacts on my phone that I knew that I needed on my phone. Now these two contacts are combined nicely with all the work I put into doing so.:cool:

robbiegreene508 likes this.
  8. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

To get the contacts from my Curve, I just synced my contacts with outlook, and then exported them into a excel looking thing, and uploaded that to my gmail. Took 3 minutes tops. I'll see if i can find those instructions.

9. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

BlackBerry Curve / Pearl to G1 (should work for most BB devices)

System setup:
    Windows XP & Outlook 2007

Steps:
    Sync contacts to Outlook using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.6:
    1. Connect your BlackBerry
    2. Open Desktop Manager
    3. From Desktop Manager, select Synchronize
    4. Select Synchronize
    Note: If you are using your BlackBerry with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) your contacts are likely wirelessly synch'd already. However, if you are not using a BES or your BES is not configured for wireless synch, the above steps should synch your BB to Outlook. You can also use the settings within the Synchronize section of Desktop Manager to configure what items are synch'd.

Note 2: If you need BlackBerry Desktop Manager, you can download it from: http://www.t-mobile.com/bbupgrade or here.

Export Outlook contacts to .CSV:
    1. From Outlook, select File
    2. Select Import and Export
    3. Select Export to a File and hit Next
    4. Select Comma Separated Values (DOS) and hit Next
    5. Select Contacts from the list of folders and hit Next
    6. Use the Browse... button to browse to a save location (I like to use my Desktop) and hit Next
    7. Hit Finish
    Import .CSV to GMail:
    1. From your GMail account select Older Version (extreme top right of page) **Thanks to jjmansell & jehlinger for the tip!**
    2. Select Contacts ( link is on the left hand side)
    3. Select Import (top right)
    4. Select Browse... to find and select your .csv file created above
    5. Select Import
    From the link

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f7/tutorial-importing-contacts-from-previous-phones-to-g1-3730/

10. Ebanga

Ebanga New Member

this only imported email addies, is there away to import my ENTIRE Address Book from my 8320 to my G1, without having to type them out individually? (i have over 300 contacts)
    Please help before i just send this G1 back to Tmo and keep my BB :confused:

11. Ebanga

Ebanga New Member

nevermind, i figured it out ;)

12. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

I don't use outlook so I did the same thing but used yahoo to sync to. You can create an account for free if you don't have one and then syn your BB to it. Then on yahoo contacts page look for export .csv and save the file to your computer then upload to gmail. Some of the incompatible fields were lost and I had to correct some of the numbers but it beats typing them all in. lol

13. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

just take the time to use the web interface phonebook. Google is the only phonebook that will survive after the apocalypse. it has to do with the cloud-computing they rave about.

14. bwillis17

bwillis17 New Member

if you back up your contacts into outlook then you can export them into a file threw outlook. once exported sign onto gmail and then import the file. and boom your done. i had to edit one or two there but it copied a majority of my contacts successfully

15. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Very helpful. Saved me tons of time.

16. jonsmith

jonsmith New Member

I use OS X (10.4.11) and I've always used PocketMac to sync between my BB Pearl 8100 and my computer. I just got a G1 and I wanted to import my contacts. The easiest way I could find was to export the contacts from Address Book (select the records you want, choose File -> Export), then convert the resulting VCF file to a CSV file (Online vCard Converter) to a CSV. I could then log into Gmail, go to Contacts, choose Import, and select the CSV file. The contacts showed up on the phone automatically.

Not a syncing method as such, but it should help migrate your BB stuff to the G1, which is the big thing.

cheers!

17. techprojim

techprojim New Member

Here's a procedure to export contacts from a Blackberry and import into the G1 / Android using a CSV file and GMail Import, without using Outlook or Google Sync (I don't use Outlook, and had read about limitations/problems with Google Sync for Blackberry). This initially works best when you have a GMail account with maybe some but not all of the same contacts as are in your Blackberry, and with your G1 phone contacts relatively empty (or cleared) to avoid duplicating contacts.

Basically, you create a CSV file using Blackberry Manager (free download from T-mobile, etc.,), edit it using Excel or other spreadsheet program to change the heading names, import the resulting CSV file into the Gmail, then sync it directly into the G1. There are a few tricks, but the result is your contacts will be displayed exactly as you want them.

The Export to CSV from Blackberry Manager (BBM) and the import of CSVs into GMail were not intuitive (at least not to me ;-), nor well documented anywhere I found. Here is how I did it using a T-Mobile Blackberry Pearl 8120, BBM vers 4.6 for Win XP, GMail as of 17-Nov-09, and T-Mobile G1 (Android 1.6):

1. Connect the Blackberry to PC and bring up the Blackberry Manager program. "Backup" all of your existing Blackberry data onto a file on the PC just in case.

2. To export your Blackberry contacts to a CSV file, click on "Synchronize", then on the next menu, left side, just under the word "Configuration", click "Synchronization". A configuration menu will appear. Click the "Synchronize" button next to "Set synchronization options for my desktop program". In a few seconds, a "Setup" menu will appear.

3. Select "Address Book" (only). An "Address Book Setup" menu/wizard appears, starting with "Select Desktop Application". Click on "ASCII Importer/Exporter". (Hint: If you don't see "ASCII Importer/Exporter", (for example, if you see "Outlook"), click on the words "Address Book", and a "Setup" button will then appear. You can then get to the "Address Book Setup" menu. This took awhile to figure out!).

4. Next, select the direction(s) you would like the sync to occur. I used "Device --> ASCII Importer Exporter" to create a CSV file without affecting the contacts in my Blackberry.

5. Next, enter the filename. The name should be something like "blackberry-2009-11.csv" (unless you already have a file you want to add to.) If it's a new file, the screen will ask if you want to create the file; click "OK". Use the default "Options". Click "Next", then "Finish".

6. From "Setup", click on "Advanced". You can then use "Map Fields" to select which Blackberry fields you want to export. Just select the Blackberry fields you normally use to make the CSV file easier to edit. You can also select other Setup options, like how to deal with conflicts when synch'ing. (I used the defaults).

7. After Setup, go back to Main Menu then click on Synchronize. Select "Synchronize Organizer Data" (only) to export address book contacts. Click "Synchronize". This operation will take up to a few minutes depending on the number of contacts and your PC.

8. If an existing CSV file is present, any conflicts will generate warnings. Afterwards, a "Confirm" menu will appear. You can preview the exported info using "Details", and then "Accept" them.

9. With Excel (or OO Calc), open the CSV file you've created. Notice the headings on the top row that define the type of field data in each column. Delete any columns that you do not plan to use (i.e., any that don't have any data under them).

10. Some of the phone numbers, esp. international numbers, may not be formatted properly, or appear in scientific notation (e.g. 1.20E+10). To fix, highlight all the phone number data fields in the spreadsheet (but not the headers), and change their format first to Number (Format/Cells/Number, with no decimal places), then to format Text. You may lose any leading zeros on phone numbers, but once they are formatted as Text, you can add them back.

11. To import the contact address CSV file into GMail, you must replace the Blackberry heading names (on Row 1 in each column) with heading names that GMail recognizes. Here are the heading names that you may have to change (if they are not the "same"):

CSV HEADING/FIELD NAME MAPPING

BLACKBERRY -> GMAIL

------------------------

Title --> (same)
    First Name --> (same)
    Middle Name --> (same)
    Last Name --> (same)
    Job Title --> (same)
    Company Name --> Company
    Work Phone --> Business Phone
    Work Phone2 --> Business Phone 2
    Home Phone --> (same)
    Mobile Phone --> (same)
    Home Phone2 --> Home Phone 2
    Other Phone --> (same)
    Fax --> Business Fax (or "Home Fax")
    Pager --> (same)
    PIN --> (not supported?)
    Email Address1 --> E-mail Address
    Email Address2 --> E-mail 2 Address
    Email Address3 --> E-mail 3 Address

[For Work Address in Blackberry:]
    Address1 --> Business Street
    Address2 --> Business Street 2
    Address3 --> Business Street 3
    City --> Business City
    State/Province --> Business State
    Zip/Postal --> Business Postal Code
    Country --> Business Country

[For Home Address in Blackberry:]
    Home Address1 --> Home Street 1
    Home Address2 --> Home Street 2
    Home Address3 --> Home Street 3
    Home City --> Home City
    Home State/Province --> Home State
    Home Zip/Postal --> Home Postal Code
    Home Country --> (same)

Birthday --> (same)
    Anniversary --> (same)
    Web Address --> Web Page
    Notes --> (same)
    User1 --> User 1
    User2 --> User 2
    User3 --> User 3

-------------------------------------------

12. Be SURE that ALL headings that are in Row 1 of your CSV file have a valid GMail heading name (i.e. change all Blackberry Names --> GMail Names for each of the fields listed above, replacing all heading names that are different from the GMail names.) Be sure that you type in the GMail heading name exactly as listed above. Delete any columns for Blackberry fields that GMail doesn't support. If the file you are creating has heading/field names that GMail doesn't understand or recognize, it may arbitrarily skip over some of your data. You don't have to use all of the above heading fields, but the ones you do you use must have a valid GMail heading name. Finally, be sure that your data fields (cells) in Excel don't have commas within them, or scientific notation in any fields, as this could cause problems importing your CSV file.

13. When done editing, save your file (use "Save As" to keep both your original CSV and your modified version).

14. Open your GMail account, click on "Contacts", then "Import" from the CSV file you created and modified above. Check your contacts to be sure they're as you expected. NB: First, I suggest trying out the CSV Import into a GMail account that only has a few contacts, in case this doesn't work well the first time -- then you can always Select All contacts, delete them, and try again if needed. Second, you may want to be sure that Auto-Sync is disabled on your G1 phone (Menu / Settings / Data Synchronization).

15. If you have contacts with the same First and Last name in both your CSV file and GMail, but different contact info, they will likely be duplicated in GMail. If you have duplicate contacts with different info, go to Contacts in Gmail and select each of the duplicates, then use GMail's "Merge Contacts" function, which works pretty well.

16. When your contacts have been imported and merged to your satisfaction, try step 14 & 15 on your "real" GMail account. When it has been set as you want it, with your Blackberry imports, and all contacts merged and edited as you prefer, use the Sync Contacts function on the G1 / Android (Menu / Settings / Data Synchronization / Contacts) to import to the G1 phone. You can (re)-enable auto-sync if you like.

Good Luck! Feedback welcome.

PS:

- GMail also supports some other useful fields that you can add as columns to your spreadsheet, including "Primary Phone", "Gender", "Location", "Spouse", "Suffix" (i.e. "Jr.",), "Department", "Account", etc. To find out all of GMail's latest heading names, you can create a sample contact in a Gmail account and "Export" it to a "Google CSV format" file, then open it with Excel. Notice the names of the headings on Row 1. You can add columns with these names and fill in the appropriate data before you import your CSV file into GMail if you like.

- If you still have problems, one final thing to try is moving the columns in the CSV file so that they are in the order GMail generates its data (using a the sample GMail contact export file as described above).

rowdymoose likes this.
  18. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Great post of info ... going to make it a FAQ and sticky...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.