***Blackberry to Evo or Epic??***

Last Updated:

1. goblue42

goblue42 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am a blackberry user for about 10 years now. I have a decision and I have no idea what phone to get HTC EVO or the SAMSUNG EPIC? I am reading mixed reviews and the important part I need a phone to:
    1. Sync with my Work Outlook and Contacts
    2. Be able to reply via my work email address using my work email address as the sender.
    3. Be able to setup email from my personal accounts
    4. Be able to accept outlook meetings and view the location and the person who sent it. I need to have the email icons separate for each email address so I know where the email is coming from like on the Blackberry.
    I do not want to use GMAIL Contacts as my main contacts, I want to keep the contacts in my outlook accounts.
    Also, is there security like a firewall on the devices to secure and encrypt my contact list.
    Is there an option to syn with NOTES, TASKS in outlook, can I secure them also. I do not see any of these talked about or in the documentation.
    Does anyone know these answers? I want to similar functionality as I do on my BB, but I do not want to get another Blackberry because they cannot compute with the new phones, plus BB does not have Outlook / Exchange interface.
    Also, do I have to sync up via the desktop connection to the PC for Outlook/exchange for Calender, task and notes?

Advertisement
  2. jfenton

jfenton Well-Known Member

Just having done the same thing here are my thoughts

Got an EPIC the day it came out. Great screen. Honestly, while I thought I needed the slide out keyboard but after using that and the on screen keyboard, I must tell you..I can type was faster with the on screen and found myself wishing I( had a thinner phone without the slide out. The biggest note here is that I truly believe the EPIC has such major issues (GPS especially after this past update) really bad battery after the last update and slow internet speeds (especially the UL which I'm guessing will force a lawsuit).

The EVO simply is a more solid phone, especially if you want to use it as a phone, as an email device and as an internet device. I could care less about playing games and watching video on it. I have my company email on it as well as 2 personal accounts and it works like a charm. I don't use Exchange or outlook so I can't comment on those two specifics.

It's an entirely eye opening positive thing coming from bot a BB 9630 and 9650.

goblue42 likes this.
  3. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

I came from a Curve 8330 to an EVO and my wife has the Epic. I'd pick the EVO again because while I do miss the keyboard, it's not a terrible adjustment for everything else you get with the EVO. It's a pretty neat switch because all of the sudden all the things you wanted to do on the blackberry you can do on the evo, like full web browsing, solid apps, changing things around, etc.

4. tamaramarrero

tamaramarrero Well-Known Member

I just switched from A Blackberry Curve 8330 to an HTC Evo and I love it.

5. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Responses in Red.

1. Sync with my Work Outlook and Contacts - Yes, I have exchange at work and it uses Activesync. You can also connect using POP/IMAP
    2. Be able to reply via my work email address using my work email address as the sender. - Yes, I do this all the time.
    3. Be able to setup email from my personal accounts - Yes, I also have a gmail and a hotmail setup.
    4. Be able to accept outlook meetings and view the location and the person who sent it. I need to have the email icons separate for each email address so I know where the email is coming from like on the Blackberry. - There are two icons that come with the phone, one for gmail and one for everything else. You can get another app so you can have a different icon.
    I do not want to use GMAIL Contacts as my main contacts, I want to keep the contacts in my outlook accounts. - Ok, don't sync your gmail contacts, simple.
    Also, is there security like a firewall on the devices to secure and encrypt my contact list. - There are firewall apps, but in regards to encrypting your contacts, I don't know.
    Is there an option to syn with NOTES, TASKS in outlook, can I secure them also. - Yes, there is an app for that, I don't remember the name but I have seen it. I do not see any of these talked about or in the documentation.
    Does anyone know these answers? I want to similar functionality as I do on my BB, but I do not want to get another Blackberry because they cannot compute with the new phones, plus BB does not have Outlook / Exchange interface.
    Also, do I have to sync up via the desktop connection to the PC for Outlook/exchange for Calender, task and notes? - It syncs over the air.

Hope this helps

that_maynard likes this.
  6. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

I don't use outlook, but I do have a few email accounts set up. The Evo does not combine email and messages in to one box like the BB. I think this is a good thing and the one thing my wife always complains about on her BB.

The Evo will give you the blinking led to let you know there is a message and there will be a mail icon or text, whatever on the top info bar. When you drag this down it will inform you what email box has received mail and how many per each mail box. when you open the mail program it defaults to your last used box I think, but you just click menu-accounts and it drops down all your email boxes with a notification by each box that has new mail and how many.

I feel the Evo handles email leaps and bounds above BB's, though this is from a personal perspective and not work related.

7. SoSickSilvia

SoSickSilvia Active Member

this post on this forum. i just went from a blackberry 8900 to my Evo. i had my 8900 for almost 2 years. let me tell ya, i hope you have an understanding girlfriend or wife because my girlfriend tries to get me to put the evo down and she fails haha.

8. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I am kind of sorry to be the party pooper here but a major difference between blackberry and Evo is the fact that blackberry's email servers are way better. If u have special corporate email u have to check if you can get the server info from your administor. I am still unable to add my school email to my phone so make your pick after you do some more research.