• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blackberry Torch? Seriously?

HustlinDaily

Android Expert
Apr 6, 2010
Sugar Land, TX
To all the many members on this forum who have been anxiously awaiting the Dell Aero, I have good news.

IT IS BETTER THAN THE BLACKBERRY TORCH!

Aero- 624MHz Marvell Processor, 3.5" 640x360 screen
Torch- 624MHz Marvell Processor, 3.2" 480x320 screen

I realize that I am not in BB's target consumer group (middle aged men stuck in 2005) but how do they expect to compete with Apple/Samsung/HTC/Motorola/Palm/Nokia with this?

I realize that I am not in BB's target consumer group (middle aged men stuck in 2005) but how do they expect to compete with Apple/Samsung/HTC/Motorola/Palm/Nokia with this?
I have been a Blackberry card holding member since 2005 :D But, I don't really see that the devices have changed much. They have been in 3 basic formats forever, I am currently using a 2 year old curve which wasn't a whole lot different than the 8700 before it. Yes, they have added cameras, wifi, 3g, but up until this new release of 0S6, not sure there have been much different. They also seem to be stuck in the Fruit war, ignoring the Android devices and marketing to the Apple crowd.

Where there seems to be a new Android device coming out every month or more, Apple and RIM are stuck on a yearly cycle that is going to leave them both in the dust.

For the record, the BB target is still corporate America, but that won't continue to sell millions of devices a year.

Upvote 0
My first smartphone was a Motorola Q (same form factor as BB) and have been using a Nokia N900 since Nov. While I love having the larger screen for web browsing, having to go back to the Q because I shorted my 900s screen (water), I do miss having those physical keys readily available and total 1-hand operation...especially for speed dial. Since most corporate BB users have them for mail, there isn't much need to change form factor, and the Torch seems to fit the bill for a stop-gap.

However if they want to really compete, I think RIMM should have come out with a full sized, 3.7"+ slider, in conjunction, or back fill with the Torch. Or they could have done like the Nokia which was a full slider but when closed, the one face had the form factor/hard keys of a regular BB.

nokia-e90-905.jpg

Upvote 0
Ill say this time and time again:

Hardware has nothing to do with the phone. Its all about the UI Experience. If blackberry can deliver an innovative and fresh experience while keeping things extremely smooth and seamless, then they have a great device.

The HTC Aria preforms better than the Sony Xperia x10 BY FAR and the aria is using a way lower powered processor.

Upvote 0
Ill say this time and time again:

Hardware has nothing to do with the phone.
That is your requirement. While some us really do believe "size matters". I do enjoy the Blackberry UI, but I just need a larger screen. 3 years ago, I would have loved the Torch, but now I am looking for something more in the 5-7" size.

UI is all software, which can be changed continuously. Hardware is fixed, if you don't have a front facing camera when you buy it, you never will.

Upvote 0
I agree that if the UI is seamless and fast it would be no problem. Although according to engadgets review the effects of the CPU is showing it's age. I'm very disappointed, Torch was a flagship BB that I was hoping to keep me on the BB though now I think I'm jumping to an Android phone.. just not sure if i want the captivate.

Upvote 0
I agree that if the UI is seamless and fast it would be no problem. Although according to engadgets review the effects of the CPU is showing it's age...

Any lag from page load/transitions, can be resolved via software revisions. Obviously a 1Ghz+ processor would be "better" but once optimized, I'm sure OS 6 could run smoother on the Torch going forward.

Upvote 0
Any lag from page load/transitions, can be resolved via software revisions. Obviously a 1Ghz+ processor would be "better" but once optimized, I'm sure OS 6 could run smoother on the Torch going forward.

Maybe, I've had my Bold 9000 with a shrinked OS 6.0 hybrid .. it's doing well so far although all the software revisions I've gone through.. the change in lag doesn't drastically change..

Perhaps I'm being picky? I've never really used my BB as to anything business like but I've always loved it (from pearl8100-bold9000) .. Although it seems I'm starting to want more out of my phone X_x.

Upvote 0
To all the many members on this forum who have been anxiously awaiting the Dell Aero, I have good news.

better? dont know...how about they both suck? :D

Upvote 0
our store got the torches early and i have been playing with them extensively.

I hate to say it, but the phone just doesnt perform as well as Id hope. It was very sluggish, and I know how to work blackberries, and this was the slowest Ive used, even slower than the storm I used to have.

I really do not recommend this phone. I hate to say it because I love BB, but they needed to up the hardware (which contradicts what I said earlier)

Upvote 0

Well its easy. People who are Blackberry users can keep the same keyboard they are used to with the Bold 9700, stay true to the BB operating system which is more familiar to them, in turn making them happier in the end then if they would have switched to another smartphone.

Also, the can now take advantage of a touch screen that doesn't suck (like the Storm's) with a lot of new features that make it easier to browse the web, and do social networking, better then they have been able to do in the past.

There is nothing wrong with this phone at all, and in my opinion it was a great move on their part, mostly because it might help slow the customer bleed that has been happening over the last few years because they have finally come out with something just familiar enough but with enough new technology keep their customers excited.

GG BB!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones