Blackberry Tour -> Droid Eris -- Some QuestionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. M.J.H.

M.J.H. New Member This Topic's Starter

1. How do I sync the USB and the computer correctly for contacts? Basically I want to be able accomplish the following-

a. To back up 100% everything so if I replaced my Eris tomorrow with another replacement phone all of the applications and settings I have taken weeks and weeks to set correctly would automatically update.
    b. I wanted like I had on my Moto Droid for a few days that I had it ALL of my Facebook friends as contacts, and NONE of my email addresses in Gmail as contacts.

2. Is there any turn by turn navigation application for this phone like Moto Droid had from the factory?

3. Is the general verdict on task killers for this phone that they waste battery life and really serve no purpose? Or is it that they're probably a good idea?

4. Is there anything that can be done for an unlock screen aside from the one from the factory that gives a little more security without having 2 lock screens?

5. Is there anything that can be done for the Facebook application? I am using the Bloo application now which I guess is a decent substitute but at the end of the day I would rather be using something that was intended for the phone similar to the Blackberry Facebook app.

6. Is there anything better than the "Better Keyboard" application to improve portrait mode typing on the phone? I have used it and ended up coming back to the default keyboard settings.

7. Is there any way to possibly get more than 7 screens on the home screen? I know this may seem like a lot but I can barely hold all of the widgets and applications that I have running.

8. Is there any kind of decent speed dial application for the phone?

9. Is ChompSMS probably the best SMS application? I tried Handcent SMS and then Chomp SMS and overall Chomp blows it out of the water in every category.

Advertisement
  2. M.J.H.

M.J.H. New Member This Topic's Starter

3. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

a. To back up 100% everything so if I replaced my Eris tomorrow with another replacement phone all of the applications and settings I have taken weeks and weeks to set correctly would automatically update.
    b. I wanted like I had on my Moto Droid for a few days that I had it ALL of my Facebook friends as contacts, and NONE of my email addresses in Gmail as contacts.

Structure this better so I can answer it better.

2. Is there any turn by turn navigation application for this phone like Moto Droid had from the factory?

There will be once the Eris get's the inevitable update to 2.0/2.1. I did hear they have something that will work with 1.5

3. Is the general verdict on task killers for this phone that they waste battery life and really serve no purpose? Or is it that they're probably a good idea?

Free Task Killer works for me.

4. Is there anything that can be done for an unlock screen aside from the one from the factory that gives a little more security without having 2 lock screens?

Try Lock 2.0...there are a few other Apps that can alter those settings, but none really have any good reviews.

5. Is there anything that can be done for the Facebook application? I am using the Bloo application now which I guess is a decent substitute but at the end of the day I would rather be using something that was intended for the phone similar to the Blackberry Facebook app.

Bloo is the best Facebook solution so far.

6. Is there anything better than the "Better Keyboard" application to improve portrait mode typing on the phone? I have used it and ended up coming back to the default keyboard settings.

I like what ever keyboard I have.

7. Is there any way to possibly get more than 7 screens on the home screen? I know this may seem like a lot but I can barely hold all of the widgets and applications that I have running.

No. You can create what are called "Scenes" though, which can be switched between. I have one for work, and then one for home, and one for on the go. When I'm at home, none of my mail/browzer apps are generally on their...since i'd most likely just use my computer instead.

8. Is there any kind of decent speed dial application for the phone?

It's built in. Press your green button to bring you to the "dialer" -> Press "Menu" -> Speed Dial.

Assign up to 9 speed dials. Then all you have to do to quick call is; Press your green button, then press and HOLD down the corresponding number. for example, I have my girlfriend set to 2. So i just hold down 2 and it will call her. I'm used to this from having a dumb phone for so many years. Will see if People changes me.

9. Is ChompSMS probably the best SMS application? I tried Handcent SMS and then Chomp SMS and overall Chomp blows it out of the water in every category.[/quote]

Handcent is better. Chomp cannot handle MMS (pictures, videos). You can do just as much customization of your fond style, bubble style, notifications, ect.

Think that answers most of them.

4. oodiannexx

oodiannexx New Member

Didn't want to start a new thread..but I'm considering dropping my Tour and picking up the Eris? Should I? I'm really torn, I'm a long time BB user.. and I'm scared! haha. My hubby just got the Eris (he had a BB S2) and I really love it! What do you guys think?

5. cap10mark

cap10mark Well-Known Member

I am coming from the Tour and love my Eris. I have been a BB user for years. It does take a little getting used to. I've had mine for 2 weeks now and am still learning. This is a great place to find information!