• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blackberry user thinking of jumping ship...

Chrispmoto

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Hi all, first post here!
I have an old Blackberry Tour, which, actually, I have liked, alot.
However, it is old now, and I have been looking at Android. I am very new to this, and have a few questions. I am leaning towards the Galaxy S2.
My main priority is email, but I am not a professional.
I like to play music.
I like to browse the internet.
I do NOT play games.

1) On my BB, as soon as I get an email, I am notified. By sound, and a flashing light. Can the Galaxy notify me when new email arrives, or do I have to manually go into a screen to check?
2)Itunes. I have been reading this forum and others, sounds like Itunes doesnt play well with Android. Can I make it work reasonably painless to download Itunes to this phone?
3)Is the keyboard OK? Can i download an application to give the keyboard a comma,or do I have to go into a different screen (shift) to get my comma for typing.

Is this a great phone for playing music and emailing, or should I look elsewhere?
Oh yeah, we have a Mac at home. My wife LOVES her Iphone, but I am wanting to try something different.
The phones I am considering are the Galaxy2, Blackberry Bold 9900, and the Iphone 5.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

1) On my BB, as soon as I get an email, I am notified. By sound, and a flashing light. Can the Galaxy notify me when new email arrives, or do I have to manually go into a screen to check?

The email app on my phone (Desire Z) polls periodically for emails. If you poll, then you won't get notified right away, but will at the next polling interval.

What I did was just forward everything to my Gmail account. The GMail app supports push emails and I get notified right away when I receive an email.

I think someone else can speak more about how to get push email with non-Gmail accounts. I believe it is possible.

3)Is the keyboard OK? Can i download an application to give the keyboard a comma,or do I have to go into a different screen (shift) to get my comma for typing.

You should be able to access any, commonly used symbol or punctuation with the on screen keyboard. Depending on the symbol, you may need to press a shift/alt/symbol key to access it. It is also possible to use alternate keyboards if you do not like the default ones on the phone.

Reactions: Chrispmoto
Upvote 0
I ditched my BB almost a year ago and have not looked back. I went with a Droid X to start with, then changed to 4G HTC Thunderbolt soon after. More/better apps, and the touchscreen only took a day or 2 to start feeling "normal". I use an iPod for music so I am of no help there, and all my emails are Gmail addresses (which is push - aka 'instant').

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0
Okay. I bought the new Bold 9900. Telus told me today that I can get the new Samsung if I want. I was having a few issues, and now I am thinking of going Galaxy.
I am worried about the learning curve to switch away from BB.though
How hard is it to relearn a new (Samsung) phone?

Nevermind people......
Just talked to my Telus store, they wont take it back, their store policy.
I am stuck with the BB.

So, did they say you can take it back and then the store refused, or did they say you could have the Samsung instead before you got the Bold?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones