Blank Screen During/After a CallSupport

Last Updated:

1. johnjrubadub

johnjrubadub New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everybody!

I have an HTC Desire and I managed to break the LCD. I had the LCD and touchscreen replaced (don't ask long story) and now I have the following issue:

When I make a call and even before I lift the phone to my ear the screen goes blank. None of the buttons work but the call is fine - I can be heard/hear the other person. When the other person ends the call the phone bips to tell me the call is over, but the screen stays blank. I can re-activate the screen by receiving a missed call - ie calling my phone and then hanging up re-activates the screen. In addition, when my phone rings the screen is fine, but as soon as I answer the call and lift the phone to my ear the screen goes off as before. The only other way to bring the screen back is to remove the battery. Whilst the screen is blank I loose all touch-screen capability too.

Everything else on the phone works perfectly, sync to email, text, GPS, camera, internet etc all not a problem.

Any ideas or have I truely rodgered my phone?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. gr8bovall

gr8bovall New Member

I think I know what this is. It's the proximity sensor, when you place the phone near to your ear, it goes blank (may be to save the battery). If you have a plastic cover or something that is blocking the sensor, that could be it. You can press the power button and will bring up (don't have to remove the battery).

HTH,
    Pav

3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

The screen goes blank when in close proximity to your ear/head so you can't inadvertently make button presses, was a major problem with an older touch screen phone i had.

4. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

Download a sensor test app. The value for the proximity sensor should change when you put you finger over the screen surround to the left of the HTC logo. If it doesn't your screen protector is stopping it working or its fubar'd. If it changes, problem is something else.

5. johnjrubadub

johnjrubadub New Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers peeps. I will try downloading a diagnostic. None of the buttons work and I don't have a screen protector. It's weird as the phone is blank unless I remove the battery or if I get a missed call. Will let you know how I get on.

6. FlashG

FlashG New Member

And it is a brand-new phone.

A.

7. pafletch13

pafletch13 New Member

I also have the same problem with the screen.