Blank screen for my HTC Magic CalendarSupport

Last Updated:

1. vantiveman

vantiveman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,
    I just upgraded to HTC Magic from Vodafone UK and I love it, but I seem to have a problem with the calendar app. When I load it I just get a blank (white) screen. The context menu button had no effect (apart from greying out for a few seconds) and I just have to exit the application.
    As I have always had Nokia before now I assumed that the app would still load a calendar and allow me to add appointments, to-do's, alarms etc.
    I have NOT tried to synch with Google as I use Outlook and was hoping to synch with that.
    Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the Calendar?
    Thanks,
    Al.

Advertisement
  2. itsmagic

itsmagic Member

Try a factory reset and see if that works.

3. vantiveman

Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have some apps loaded and don't yet have an SD card (one is waiting for me at home) so I will try a factory reset but only when I have re-installed the apps to SD so I can remove it before the reset. I assume I can install apps to the SD card, can't I. I think I saw something somewhere that indicated that there was no choice given. That just sounds wrong to me, but maybe it's true?

I'll update after the weekend.
    Thanks again,
    Al.

4. itsmagic

itsmagic Member

Hi,
    My understanding is your Magic has to be "rooted" to have the ability to save apps to sd card. I did a hard reset a couple weeks back just to clean it up and I had to re-load all my apps but it was easy, once back in the Market all the apps I had were all still listed under "My-Downloads".
    BTW what calendar are you using ?

5. vantiveman

Hi,

Well that makes it easier to reload the apps then :)
    The calendar I was trying to use was the 'default' one that came with the phone. Maybe there are better ones to install?
    I am amazed that apps can't easily be loaded to the SD card though, as it's always been an option with Symbian on my Nokia phones. What are HTC/Android thinking! I read about rooting and, to be honest, it scared the hell out of me. If it goes wrong the phone could be dead? Mainly it seems that the HTC magic could be different depending on where it came from, i.e whether it has a google label on it or whether it is a 'vodafone' magic. Doesn't seem that clear what version/type of the rooting software would be needed. My Magic was a vodafone upgrade, so may be a specific type/version that differs from others?
    Thanks for the info.
    Al.

6. itsmagic

itsmagic Member

Al,
    Yes it made the redowloading very easy, as a matter a fact from the time I did the reset and got everything back to where I wanted it, it was approx 25 min, doing that with a window based Diamond I had took me nearly 3 hours, but one advantage with the Windows based was saving almost everything on the sd card yet still took longer to get back to where I wanted it.

Im with you on the "rooting" i just leave that for the experts as I dont want to ruin my phone, yet I raed lots of people do it.

I use the stock HTC calendar as well and love it (since the update) but I also run Android Agenda Widget (free from the market and very customizable) and have that on my home screen.

Be sides a hard reset for your issue the only thing could suggest other, is go to Calendar-----> ---->Menu --->Settings----->Reminders------> and make sure "ALL CALENDARS" is "checked".

Steve

7. vantiveman

Hi Steve,

Well, the funny thing is that when I open the calendar I get an empty white screen with a Calendar name at the top, but nothing else. When I try the 'Menu' button nothing happens - no options, nothing opens. In fact the buttons grey out and I have to use the Return button to go back to the main start page.

I think the Calendar app is just screwed. I'll try a reset this weekend and see what happens. Maybe I can ask HTC to see if they will supply the Calendar App to re-install.

Thanks,
    Al

8. itsmagic

itsmagic Member

good luck let me know how things go.

9. vantiveman

Hi Steve,

It's all good. When I connected to my home Wi-Fi I received a notification about a software upgrade (I think firmware) so I let it go and afterwards the calendar worked fine!
    I didn't have to do a factory reset after all :)

All is now good, except I might have a problem with an App I downloaded but I will raise another post to discuss that.
    Thanks for your help and advice.
    Al.

10. itsmagic

itsmagic Member

Al,

Good all thing are working for you and ur welcome, nice talking to you.

Take Care,

Steve