Blank screenSupport

Last Updated:

1. Risuquin

Risuquin New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so. I picked up my evo on Monday. Everything was fine and dandy until Tuesday night when I noticed an odd behavior. Ever once in a while the screen will go blank. The unit's not "Off" off, only the display. It can still receive input from touching it though. The four buttons on the bottom will stay on (if it's dark enough for them to need to be on) and those still vibrate when I touch them. So something is causing my screen to turn off, or at least not be lit. If I hit the power button, the phone goes to stand by. When I hit it again the phone and screen turn on as usual. I've also learned that if I go to the home page and tap where the brightness widget on the power bar would be, the brightness will change triggering the screen to turn on again. Weird.

The only patterns I have discerned from these episodes is I have the screen turned all the way dim (for battery-saving purposes) and I'm in dimly lit areas. Sometimes it only happens once, and sometimes it happens repeatedly and I have to fight it and try to change the the settings before it cuts out quickly. It could give me as little as one second to change.

The case I have doesn't cover any sensors, and I'm not using any task killers. At the time the problem started I hadn't downloaded any apps. I have since, but that hasn't made it worse or better. It has no other problems and I really hate to take it back to sprint just because of this. I'd also would rather not have continuous worry about dimly lit areas or having the brightness too high. Right now I've found a happy medium keeping it on auto-brightness.

So has anyone else seen this problem, or better yet know the cause and solution to it? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Risuquin

Risuquin New Member This Topic's Starter

Update! It did it again today and I've found another part to the puzzle. It happens after I've made a phone call. Probably something to do with the screen powering down due to the proximity sensor. Also, the screen isn't turning off, the backlight is. If I look closely enough I can still see the screen.
    Any suggestions?

3. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

have you pulled the battery yet?

I had a weird intance where I had turned the phone completely off but the bottom four buttons would light up if I tapped the volume keys. It kept doing that until I pulled the battery.