• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bloatware Must Die! (My noob rooting journal)

cd..
cd..
cd SDK/platform-tools
adb shell (you should get a # after typing this in). If you didn't get a # type in this:
su (you should now get a #). Then type in this:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
(Note: Make sure you get the spaces right. If you get an error on the line above such as "file does not exist" ignore the error and keep going).
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (you should have a # after typing this in. You might get a long stream of almost identical looking code, thats ok as long as you get a # after). Then type in this:
reboot recovery (it should now boot into the recovery)

Ok, so I've got all the drivers installed, and the recovery files in place on the sd card. I have the adb path established in the computers system and everything is ready to go except the computer won't recognize when I plug the phone it. After I type in "adb shell" it returns "device not found" or "device not available". I am assuming this is because the phone won't boot past the LG screen so it's not able to deal with a connection from the computer. Am I correct in this assumption? And how can I get my computer to communicate with the phone?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, so I've got all the drivers installed, and the recovery files in place on the sd card. I have the adb path established in the computers system and everything is ready to go except the computer won't recognize when I plug the phone it. After I type in "adb shell" it returns "device not found" or "device not available". I am assuming this is because the phone won't boot past the LG screen so it's not able to deal with a connection from the computer. Am I correct in this assumption? And how can I get my computer to communicate with the phone?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!
It's probably because it's not in USB debugging mode. You might have to use the KDZ updater?

Upvote 0
Hi, new user here. I had a lot of fun following this thread, but boy do I wish I never went down this road.

I'm a total noob, and was also annoyed by all the bloatware on my phone, so I learned how to root with z4root, installed titanium backup, saw it wouldn't let me freeze anything, downloaded ant tek, and then went to town getting rid of all this crap I never noticed working for me.

Alas, when I was all done, I deleted something that caused my home screen to go black. The phone was still functional, but I couldn't access any of the apps. This was bad. So I spent the next three hours looking for a remedy.

It turns out I deleted LGhome.apk or something that included that.

These are the threads I pawed through. I even tried a hard reset and that didn't fix anything:

I tried the "Astro File Manager" solution here, but I couldn't open the application because I couldn't get to my applications drawer:

Since I can't post links yet because I'm a newbie, I'd just say it's on android central, with the url: "64011-optimus-t-rooted-now-missing-home-screen-other-issues"

I tried using the KDZ updater. Didn't work.

I tried the suggestions here:
In this forum, with a url "optimus-t-all-things-root/454906-need-hard-reset-assistance"

Finally, I learned enough from this thread:
Android forums "optimus-t-all-things-root/455670-how-i-unbricked-two-phones"

And from post #7 in the first forum link, that my operating system was a little old, and I could fix it by updating the OS. Phew!

Lesson learned. I'm not messing with rooting anymore. It's not worth the loss of time or inconvenience. I can just use a bigger SD card.

Maybe if I was younger, and all this learning was worth something to me. But the Optimus is a relatively cheap phone, and memory is pretty cheap too! Time is more important to me.

Not to disparage the original poster -- this was fun. But I'm also writing what I wish I'd known before I started this rooting business. Curiosity killed the cat -- or at least three hours that I could have used doing something else!

Upvote 0
Alas, when I was all done, I deleted something that caused my home screen to go black. The phone was still functional, but I couldn't access any of the apps. This was bad. So I spent the next three hours looking for a remedy.

It turns out I deleted LGhome.apk or something that included that.

That's what I was guessing.

Not to disparage the original poster -- this was fun. But I'm also writing what I wish I'd known before I started this rooting business. Curiosity killed the cat -- or at least three hours that I could have used doing something else!

A nandroid back up (as mentioned a few times above) would have saved 2hrs, 55mins of the adventure.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
A nandroid back up (as mentioned a few times above) would have saved 2hrs, 55mins of the adventure.

Well, getting nandroid set up seems to be a non-trivial task. But I'm wishing I'd done it now. I'm lucky that I've only caused myself a minor inconvenience!

I decided I wanted to try the Live Wallpaper thing, but way back at the beginning I got rid of the associated .apk's. No problem, I just told Titanium Backup to restore the appropriate package.

Except that Titanium hung up, and after a few hours I rebooted. Now, not only is the Live Wallpaper .apk not installed... it's gone from backup too. Oops! Wonder if I can get it back... but I'm not terribly worried, because I'd have probably just deleted it again after bringing my cheap lil' phone to a screeching halt yet again.

Upvote 0
Trying to install system .apk's from titanium isn't the best idea.
Have you tried downloading a ROM for your phone and pulling the LiveWallpapers.apk and the LiveWallpapersPicker.apk from the /system/app folder. There system .apk's so you won't need to resign them, just put in the /system/app folder.
Not all custom ROM's have the LiveWallpaers.apk you will know it when you see it. Download a ROM.zip that's for your phone and extract the files. Look in the folder mentioned. Move them out of the folder there in. Push them to the same location on your phone using shell commands from a command prompt and then reboot

Do you have ADB established in your system path? Do you know how to use shell commands thru said ADB? PM me if you need help.

Upvote 0
Okay, it's been a few months, and now I'm back to running out of Internal Memory again.

The biggest culprits are Skyfire and Google Maps. Especially Skyfire. Sometimes I look and it is taking up 30MB.

I would uninstall Skyfire if it weren't for the fact that I need it to watch flash videos.

I never changed the operating system. All I did was root, and I use Titanium Backup.

I still have to uninstall a lot of apps, but I have a backup saved on my phone so I love that I can always restore it.

For instance, when I update Google Maps, I uninstall it and then restore it using Titanium Backup so I can move it back onto the SD card.

Problem is that Google Maps has been crashing a lot. Also, my phone has been getting slower and slower by the day.

I'm with T-Mobile, and my software is Android 2.2 and LG-P509-V10I but I read that they are up to LG-P509-V10S but I am concerned that I will lose the root with the upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Okay, it's been a few months, and now I'm back to running out of Internal Memory again.

The biggest culprits are Skyfire and Google Maps. Especially Skyfire. Sometimes I look and it is taking up 30MB.

I would uninstall Skyfire if it weren't for the fact that I need it to watch flash videos.

I never changed the operating system. All I did was root, and I use Titanium Backup.

I still have to uninstall a lot of apps, but I have a backup saved on my phone so I love that I can always restore it.

For instance, when I update Google Maps, I uninstall it and then restore it using Titanium Backup so I can move it back onto the SD card.

Problem is that Google Maps has been crashing a lot. Also, my phone has been getting slower and slower by the day.

I'm with T-Mobile, and my software is Android 2.2 and LG-P509-V10I but I read that they are up to LG-P509-V10S but I am concerned that I will lose the root with the upgrade.

Any suggestions?

I use doubletwist media player to play online videos, it plays all your media and also works with your stock browser to play embedded videos. In my opinion, it's by far the best media player on the Play Store, and in my experience with Skyfire and DoubleTwist they perform about the same as far as playing online videos.

Rather than uninstalling and reinstalling you should be able to long press on a system app and then tap "convert to user app", after it moves the app to the user partition you can long press and tap "move to sd card". I have "Google Maps on my SD card and I have had no problems at all.

If T-Mo updates the baseband (that's what the 10I or 10S part is) is shouldn't mess with your apps or root. If it does just re-root. I've flashed the new baseband and it didn't remove my root. I'm running the LG Optimus T P509 with custom ROM for the Optimus One P500 (Their basically the same phone)

I believe what I wrote about the baseband is correct, if someone else could back me up on that I'd appreciate it.
Hope I helped!

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Hey guys, I am new to Androidforums... But, I do not consider myself a noob, as I am a senior member at XDA... I came to this site to see what my friend "droidgeek99" was up to.

When I had this problem on my HTC Aria, I used DT A2SD (instructions here)

Make sure you do
"a2sd cachesd" and "a2sd data2sd" as other options.

Upvote 0
couple of items:
First, THANKS to the OP and the hitchhikers making this a great thread for Optimus users! This is the "least attitudes" thread I've found for folks to hang on to and learn.

I have a question or two I bet one of you can answer:
- Is Nandroid the BEST way to backup/restore, or just the one the cool kids recommend? I guess I was thinking Titanium backed up the whole thing but I can see I'm wrong about that. I was hoping for a way to put something on my win7 laptop to run, back it all up, and have it ready to restore in case I brick it.
- Secondly, is there a set of notes somewhere that tells me what is to gain from moving from V10L to V10S ? I am one of those that DEPENDS on WIFI calling so I'm leery of custom roms... V10L has been stable for me, and there's something to say for stability. I'm hanging on to this handset until Google defragments android, AND win8 phones are out... then I'll do diligence. until then, i'm sticking with this humble device
- Third... this is the Simpleton question: what do you guys use to look at a 'map' of your ROM to see who is taking up what resource? I have Android Assistant but it does not do that trick. Is there a way I can get a look at it via usb/PC or can someone suggest a better app? I've killed a lot of baggage but I still have a lot of things that turn themselves on at random, and my ROM is about 75% consumed most of the time.

thanks gang
c

Reactions: RobertB-DC
Upvote 0
couple of items:
First, THANKS to the OP and the hitchhikers making this a great thread for Optimus users! This is the "least attitudes" thread I've found for folks to hang on to and learn.

- Is Nandroid the BEST way to backup/restore, or just the one the cool kids recommend? I guess I was thinking Titanium backed up the whole thing but I can see I'm wrong about that. I was hoping for a way to put something on my win7 laptop to run, back it all up, and have it ready to restore in case I brick it.
- Secondly, is there a set of notes somewhere that tells me what is to gain from moving from V10L to V10S ? I am one of those that DEPENDS on WIFI calling so I'm leery of custom roms... V10L has been stable for me, and there's something to say for stability. I'm hanging on to this handset until Google defragments android, AND win8 phones are out... then I'll do diligence. until then, i'm sticking with this humble device
- Third... this is the Simpleton question: what do you guys use to look at a 'map' of your ROM to see who is taking up what resource? I have Android Assistant but it does not do that trick. Is there a way I can get a look at it via usb/PC or can someone suggest a better app? I've killed a lot of baggage but I still have a lot of things that turn themselves on at random, and my ROM is about 75% consumed most of the time.

thanks gang
c
1-Nandroid is the best way to backup your entire device so that you can restore if you brick. Simply reboot into recovery and run the Nandroid backup. Then reboot and copy the "Nandroid" folder on your SD card to a computer for safe keeping.

2-I upgraded my Optimus T to the New BaseBand V20S and it works flawlessly with any custom ROM that supports it. CM7 is a great GingerBread ROM, and what I'm using right now is HepHappy's port of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich. It works with no bugs other than HD video playback, and panorama mode in the camera. However Wifi Calling isn't available on very many custom ROMs that I am aware of. If you must have VOIP try using GrooVe IP in conjunction with Google Voice. Try it out before you make the switch. A quick google search found this:

Flashing old/new baseband on LG optimus one P500 | Petiksmode

That is the method I used to upgrade my baseband. As far as a sticky listing the pros and cons, heres what I found over on XDA Old baseband vs new baseband? - xda-developers

[Q] [POLL] which base band and why? [Archive] - xda-developers

Also so a search for new baseband pros and cons

3-In Titanium Backup press menu, and select "overview of app storage use" that should do the trick!

Hope I helped!
Check out my blog www.androidrescue.wordpress.com

Upvote 0
couple of items:

thanks gang
c
1-Nandroid is the best way to backup your entire device so that you can restore if you brick. Simply reboot into recovery and run the Nandroid backup. Then reboot and copy the "Nandroid" folder on your SD card to a computer for safe keeping.

2-I upgraded my Optimus T to the New BaseBand V20S and it works flawlessly with any custom ROM that supports it. CM7 is a great GingerBread ROM, and what I'm using right now is HepHappy's port of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich. It works with no bugs other than HD video playback, and panorama mode in the camera. However Wifi Calling isn't available on very many custom ROMs that I am aware of. If you must have VOIP try using GrooVe IP in conjunction with Google Voice. Try it out before you make the switch. A quick google search found this:

Flashing old/new baseband on LG optimus one P500 | Petiksmode

That is the method I used to upgrade my baseband. As far as a sticky listing the pros and cons, heres what I found over on XDA Old baseband vs new baseband? - xda-developers

[Q] [POLL] which base band and why? [Archive] - xda-developers

Also so a search for new baseband pros and cons

3-In Titanium Backup press menu, and select "overview of app storage use" that should do the trick!

Hope I helped!
Check out my blog www.androidrescue.wordpress.com

Upvote 0
robertb-dc absolutly the best thread on optimus t rooting on the net,, thank you so much!!! this was sooo helpful that i registered to this forum just to say thank you. I think i have read half way down (long thread). I do have a question, has anybody experienced messaging not sending text.. this has happened several times,, the phone is functioning properly,, days go by,, then all of a sudden messaging starts hanging up,,,text messages just show "sending" but never switches to "sent(date time)". This happens to all text regardless of recipient, I tried power cycling, calling messaging from other apps, so on and so forth. I payed for TB pro after reading this thread, I back up before every major change i try.. last "MOD" i did, I ran a back up before. did what i had to do to my phone, and all was well. then days later the messaging stopped sending, btw i cud still receive. i even restored messaging with TB, thinking it will re-install whatever code may have been corrupted. No go,, which doesn't make sense, since messaging was functioning correctly at time of back up. so I just recovered android, and now i'm starting all over,, AGAIN. re-root, re-delete bloatware, re-clean the davnik cache, re-set, re , re. thanks to you I have a much clearer understanding of my phone and android, im an apple guy, but can't afford 800 buck for iphone. but quite honestly, If I have to keep re doing all this crap every time something breaks,, I think I may have to tighten my belt and spring for the Iphone. Does anybody know what causes messaging to stop sending and how to fix it without having to wipe my phone clean??
please advise, and thanks again ROb and everbody who has contributed to this thread.

Upvote 0
After my Optimus T took a swim in the washing machine :( I upgraded to a less low-end phone. Most of the problems that I had with the Optimus went away. In fact, I never bothered to root the new phone, because the new phone had so much storage (by comparison) that I never came close to a low-RAM condition.

So my advice would be to save the Optimus for playing around with, but get a newer Android for actual use. T-Mobile has some good options for about $360 (which you can divide by 24 months with 0% financing), and the low-end iPhone is even under $500 now. As much as I've ranted against the overpriced iThings, I recommended one to my non-techie mom. :)

Upvote 0
I don't know if this thread is still valid, but I have 3 lg optimus Android 2.2.2 two tmobile(1 busted LCD) and other is sprint. I do not have the money for a new phone at at all, I was intrigued by your thread and looking into rooting this phone I'm using to type with (Optimus T), you said have a spare phone in the last post, I in fact have the Optimus S 2.2.2, and want to find out if rooting it would be the same processes, and procedures to completing this task, just to do my first official root, and gain a learning experience, then move to my active phone.
Thank you in advance
P.s. I read the entire thread I just need a upfront list from a-z what to do and what steps first. I like all the details/info but I need just the right way to go, I read all the info and having a brain overload I'm a little tech savvy but this seems out of my understanding.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones