Bloatware Removal

1. jonmspaz

jonmspaz Active Member

To all those rooted users, what bloatware can be safely removed ?

Advertisement
  2. ODGeek

ODGeek Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised there isn't really much bloatware on the phone...Just the "Boost Zone" and "Qualcomm Enhanced Location" apps...Virgin Mobile could learn something...

I've "disabled" twitter*, gmail, Friend Stream*, talk with no bad effects...
    LilBit likes this.
  3. sqwerl

sqwerl Well-Known Member

Widgets
    Email
    Exchange Services
    Chrome is a huge app
    Weather widgets, apps, and services
    LilBit likes this.
  4. shinru2004

shinru2004 Well-Known Member Developer

lol all of HTC sense is bloatware, im working on a sense free rom which is trimmed from 900mb on system to around 500. :p will try to trim it a bit more
  5. Bocephus87

Bocephus87 Well-Known Member

My phone should be in come Tuesday. Enjoyed much of your work from the N860 and looking forward to seeing more with this one :D
  6. jonmspaz

jonmspaz Active Member

awesome, i am totally looking forward to that!
  7. shinru2004

[​IMG]

That's after removing sense with oc
  8. Guspeed

Guspeed Well-Known Member

What??? Stock with your kernel and all the sense bloatware!!!

Attached Files:

9. shinru2004

/whats the score on your sd? im sure its way higher then my class 4 which probably put you up over 12k
  10. Guspeed

Guspeed Well-Known Member

I'm a cheap bastard too, lol
    Write, 4.1
    Read, 8.7
  11. sqwerl

sqwerl Well-Known Member

How do you remove HtcLinkifyDispatcher.apk and use the default ICS application chooser/link handler?
    I've removed the app and edited /system/build.prop with ro.da1.endable=false and also added ro.da1.method=false as a last ditch effort. Cleared cache and dalvik cache, cleared all app defaults but I'm still not prompted for the default app.
  12. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I just got this phone today, had an EVO Design 4G. I'm rooted and loving this phone, but i have a little issue maybe someone can help me with it.
    Whenever I uninstall a system app or bloatware using Titanium Backup, after a reboot it is re-installed. I don't understand how or why this is happening. I've rooted and flashed roms on 4 different Android phones, and this one has me stumped.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  13. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

Have you tried freezing the app with TiBu instead of deleting it. This way it will still show installed in system/apps but will not show on the device. I don't have your phone and unsure of the root method but I know that some devices reset things when rebooted such as recoveries and apps that are part of the system apps.
  14. Heloguy

that worked! thanks buddy.
    OutOfPhase likes this.
  15. smith058

smith058 Guides Guide

The system is somehow write protected ... You need to flash new kernel.
  16. Rally 517

Rally 517 Well-Known Member

Now just need busy box after flashing shin kernel. Then apps well stay uninstalled
  17. Heloguy

Thanks Rally, i'll give it a shot. also found that my speakerphone doesnt seem to work.
    P.S. havent heard from you since the Prevail days!
  18. Rally 517

@Helo yeah is been a while since then. Maybe three phones ago. I used the busybox off xda. So how ya been?
  19. Rally 517

My speaker phone works
  20. Heloguy

Been doing well. Coming off the HTC Evo Design for Boost. That was light years better than the prevail, but I have to say.....The prevail was truly "The little phone that could"!!

so let me ask you,
    I unlocked this phone and then i flashed recovery. From there I flashed SuperUser in CWM.
    That is all I did. Do I also need to flash Busybox? or is that part of the SuperUser?
  21. Heloguy

yeah, mine does too. i tried to switch to speaker while listening to a voicemail, and didnt realize that i had to let it play to the end before i can switch.
  22. sqwerl

sqwerl Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to run a dependency analyzer for apps that let you know what apks not to remove that a particular app needs to run properly? Obviously, there are many apps that are easy to recognize and can be removed but some HTC apps take the place of stock ICS apps that don't need to be removed.
  23. Rally 517

Did you fish Shinru kernel? That's the only way I was able to install busybox.
  24. Heloguy

No, I didn't. I flashed the 2 files from XDA post 220. That is all.
  25. Rally 517

Only way I got busybox to install was after installing shin kernel