• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloatware Thread

jamo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2010
SC
Ok, I thought I would go ahead and start a bloatware thread. I'm loving the X so far, but I'm pretty turned off by the pre-loaded software that came on the phone. I thought we could start a thread about what we do and don't like, and if anyone finds out something that we can do about it, like disabling or uninstalling. Looking at my running apps list, there is ALOT running in the background compared to my old Droid. I'm not that worried about it since my phone is running soooo fast compared to the Droid, but I'd just like my phone to be efficient. So, here are the applications I don't like and would love to uninstall:
Backup Assistant (not needed since Google backs up my contacts anyway)
Blockbuster (seriously?, and I hate that it's always refreshing movie list in the background)
City ID (just stupid)
Media Share (the updates that a network is available is reallly annoying)

Finally, checking my Running Applications, I have around 15 processes running for apps I don't even have widgets set up for, like News, Skype Mobile, and the Motorola Weather Widget.

Again, I'm loving the phone, but I'd love it if anyone finds out what we can do about all this. At least on an HP or Dell pc, you can uninstall all the crap that comes loaded on them.

Ok, I thought I would go ahead and start a bloatware thread. I'm loving the X so far, but I'm pretty turned off by the pre-loaded software that came on the phone. I thought we could start a thread about what we do and don't like, and if anyone finds out something that we can do about it, like disabling or uninstalling. Looking at my running apps list, there is ALOT running in the background compared to my old Droid. I'm not that worried about it since my phone is running soooo fast compared to the Droid, but I'd just like my phone to be efficient. So, here are the applications I don't like and would love to uninstall:
Backup Assistant (not needed since Google backs up my contacts anyway)
Blockbuster (seriously?, and I hate that it's always refreshing movie list in the background)
City ID (just stupid)
Media Share (the updates that a network is available is reallly annoying)

Finally, checking my Running Applications, I have around 15 processes running for apps I don't even have widgets set up for, like News, Skype Mobile, and the Motorola Weather Widget.

Again, I'm loving the phone, but I'd love it if anyone finds out what we can do about all this. At least on an HP or Dell pc, you can uninstall all the crap that comes loaded on them.

Yep...you shouldn't be forced to have app on your phone if you don't want it. Skype? I will never use it. Why is it running in the background? There is alot of it; even if it doesn't impact the speed of the phone, would it be faster without? How would we know?

Other than that, love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones