• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gigg423

Jan 25, 2011
OK I'm a little confused regarding bloatware. Is there any real performance benefit to removing bloatware? I can see getting rid of it just because it clutters up the application list. But I am wondering if it provides any real performance benefit, or frees up memory for installing things you might actually use.

Yes, uninstalling will free up storage space (not such an issue yet on the Exhibit II) but RAM is very limited so FREEZING it will help plenty.

Freezing the basics will leave you about 35-50MB additional of the 350MB in the RAM of the phone - or about a 20% increase in performance. You'll probably only need this after installing quite a few Apps, but it never hurts to do it early.

Upvote 0
I have dozens and dozens of apps on my phone and alot of storage space left. System memory, I am using 280mb and have 812mb left. Storage, 168 MB and 1.45 GB left. Can't see the advantage to rooting the phone, when it seems to be working fine. My thing is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The storage space is definitely not the issue. The active memory, MENU

Upvote 0
besides getting rid of or freezing bloatware, one of the things I love about rooting is being able to use an autostarts type of app that allows you to turn off an app's autostart commands to keep some of these apps that you dont need running from starting over and over especially after a fresh reboot. seems almost every app wants to start after boot for some reason. for me, I have no need to have an app waiting in memory for me to open it , except for a few that I tend to use most often. Gemeni app manager is a pretty slick app that is especially useful after root for all it can do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones