• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Block Calls

No way at this time to block calls. I had some idiot trying to fax me something every 5 minutes for about 3 days. T-mo said the only thing to do was "send to Voicemail" and they gave me 50 rollover minutes for my trouble.
Making a call blocking app would seem like a no-brainer, but it might not be that easy to do since hitting the red button does send calls to voice-mail rather than just disconnecting them. This might be something that could only happen thru something like PF voice-mail, where we could tag something that would play a recording saying that you are not accepting calls from that person and would disconnect them instead of going to VM.

Maybe we should petition PF to add this feature.

Upvote 0
HI barqw,
I am new to Android, am doing R&D on "HOW TO BLOCK INCOMING CALL FOR SOME SPECIFIED NUMBERS" but unable to find it.could you please tell me technique,how to block the incoming call for some specified numbers.

Thanks&Regards,
Poorna Chandra.

I have tried a block incoming call app which names GBlocker.
You can use it to block all #,block unknown # and block a special #, and you can set reply a text message when someone calls you which is very useful.
If you have any question you can email the developer, he is a very kind person and solved my problem.
I highly recommend it.

Hope that app can help you. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's possible to block calls properly - ie: stop them ever showing up on your phone. Apparently the iphone can do it, but not Android (currently).

I've been doing some hunting for insurance lately, and foolishly entered my real phone number. I've been getting sales calls all day while I'm at work, so I've been hunting for ways to block calls. I don't want them filling up my voicemail either, so directing to voicemail isn't an ideal alternative.

The best I've found so far is 'Blacklist Free'. It has the option to automatically answer and hangup calls, meaning they can't leave voicemail. I'm not sure if it works yet, though, as the sales calls have stopped. I guess I should be pleased about that.. :p

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's possible to block calls properly - ie: stop them ever showing up on your phone. Apparently the iphone can do it, but not Android (currently).

I've been doing some hunting for insurance lately, and foolishly entered my real phone number. I've been getting sales calls all day while I'm at work, so I've been hunting for ways to block calls. I don't want them filling up my voicemail either, so directing to voicemail isn't an ideal alternative.

The best I've found so far is 'Blacklist Free'. It has the option to automatically answer and hangup calls, meaning they can't leave voicemail. I'm not sure if it works yet, though, as the sales calls have stopped. I guess I should be pleased about that.. :p

yeah, blacklist has been working well for me.

Upvote 0
You can add any number that calls you to the "auto reject" list. After you receive a call you don't want, just view it in the call log. Then click the "menu" button, and a choice will pop-up to "ADD TO REJECT LIST".

Any calls from that number in the future will be automatically rejected (at least on firmware 2.2).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I'm just a moron (very possible), or maybe my phone (Samsung Epic) does not have this option, but I have failed to find the "reject list" or "send to voicemail" options Android users keep suggesting on teh int0webz. I've looked in Call Settings, I've tried bringing up the menu when viewing the number I want to block in my call log - I've even tried adding the number as a contact to see if that was the only possible way to block it.

If anyone would like to point out my profound stupidity and tell me what I'm missing, that would be great, kthnxbai.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I'm just a moron (very possible), or maybe my phone (Samsung Epic) does not have this option, but I have failed to find the "reject list" or "send to voicemail" options Android users keep suggesting on teh int0webz. I've looked in Call Settings, I've tried bringing up the menu when viewing the number I want to block in my call log - I've even tried adding the number as a contact to see if that was the only possible way to block it.

If anyone would like to point out my profound stupidity and tell me what I'm missing, that would be great, kthnxbai.
How to configure call filtering on the Samsung Epic 4G

Upvote 0
I have tried almost all apps, there is one bad feature in all application is when the caller try to call us, he would be able to hear a single ring on his mobile though his number is in blacklist. I guess there is no app to block the call completely.

You could forward your phone to voice mail. That should be a feature you can turn on by dialling a star-code on your phone. It varies from provider to provider.

If you are blocking a specific number, I know that my HTC Desire Z has that feature built-in. You add the number to your contacts and then configure the contact to block calls from it. Not sure if it causes a ring. Generally, if it forwards into voice mail, the ring back may be played by the phone system.

Upvote 0
For those of you who have already given out your real phone number and you're being bothered by marketers and/or psycho stalkers, it's too late unless you find a nice app that handles call-blocking. I know nothing about those apps, but that's not why I'm posting...I just wanted to pass along a little tip that works wonders for me.

Get yourself a Google Voice account, pick your own number (you can get really creative), and then setup call-forwarding to your cell phone (or any other phone for that matter). When anyone asks for your number (marketers or otherwise) you give them your Google Voice number. Google Voice provides unlimited FREE call blocking. I never give out my real phone number anymore, only the GV #.

Upvote 0
+1 for Google Voice. It has several options for handling unwanted callers which is one of the major reasons I started using it long ago.

Keep in mind that calls blocked at the app level still count against you for billing purposes. An app can't block a call until your device receives it whether it rings or not.

Since GV uses forwarding and GV does the blocking, blocked calls via GV do not count against you in that manner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones