• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Block download of google apps updates

am65

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
Hello, I have an "old" Android device (less than two years old) with Android version 2.2.1. And an internal memory of 128MB.

My problem is that I don't have enough space in my internal memory for the applications that I use most often, so I had to remove the updates of preinstalled google applications like Google Search, Google Street View, Google Play, Google Play Services,... etc to make room for the applications that I really need.

These updates are anyway automatically downloaded (without asking for my permission) any time it wants (ripping off my mobile data plan). So I find myself having to uninstall them several times a week which is starting to go into my nerves.

I have been suggested to save the applications in the SD card instead of the internal memory, I also tried that with a software called Apps2SD, but there are certain applications that cannot be saved in the SD card (the google apps updates and some of my core apps).

I have also been suggested to make some kind of technical tweak to create a partition in the SD card to work as internal memory and so cheat the system and have a much bigger internal memory. I'm not a technical user and I'm obsessed with security, and this solutions seems to involve technical knwoledge, downloading dubious files from internet forums in the SD card and, in my case, a lots of time and patience.

Help! Could anybody help me to find a solution to my problem, or at least give me some words of sympathy?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones