• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help block text messages from unknown senders

A

Android Question

Hello;
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini and I can't figure out how to block text messages from unknown senders-I have turned on the Spam Filter and this doesn't help. I had a Nokia Lumia before this and I did have this setting and all of my text messages from unknown senders would go into a separate spam folder so that I could check there if need be and ignore if i didn't.

Sorry, I figured it would be similar to my S4
On the screen displaying the list of texts, press the three dot menu button on upper right of screen, tap select, then select the text message from the list and then tap the circle symbol in the upper right of the screen.

Upvote 0
When I select messages the only option I get is to delete. There is no circle symbol in the upper right of the screen.I am attaching photos incase they help. Screenshot_1.jpg.png Screenshot_2.jpg.png Screenshot_3.png

Upvote 0
If that doesn't help clear the cache partition. You won't lose data

1. Power off your smartphone
  2. Press and hold "Volume up", "Home" and "Power" at the same time
  3. After the phone vibrates, release the "Power" button but continue to hold "Volume Up" and "home"
  4. Once the "Android System Recovery" screen appears, release all the hardware buttons
  5. Using the "Volume Down" button, navigate to and highlight "wipe cache partition"
  6. Press "Power" to select the option
  7. Once the cache partition has been wiped, "Reboot System Now" should be highlighted
  8. Press the "Power" key to reboot your device

Upvote 0
I removed the battery that didn't work. Then I cleared the cache partition that also did not work. Here is what happens when I press the button on the left. My friend also has the samsung galaxy s4 and she sees what you are seeing but I can't. I believe this is because of the below issue but even when I keep pressing on it nothing happens.
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-menu-button-hidden

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-23-15-31-38_resized.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-23-15-31-38_resized.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
OK Can you try rejecting calls and blocking SMS from Watsons?

Block Calls from a Phone Number:
1.While viewing the home screen, tap "Phone"
2.Press the "Menu" button and tap "Call Settings"
3.Tap "Call rejection" > "Auto reject mode"
4.Tap "Auto reject numbers" and press "Back"
5.Tap "Auto Reject List"
6.To add a number to the block list, tap the "+" sign
7.Enter the phone number you want to block
8.Select the blocking method. Tap "Exactly the same as" to block the specified phone number, or tap "Starts with" to block numbers from a particular area code or network etc.
9.Tap "Save"

Blocking Messages:
1.Launch the "Messaging" application
2.Tap and hold the conversation thread from the number you wish to block
3.Tap "Add to spam numbers" > "OK"

Block Messages via the "Messaging" App's Settings Menu:
1.Launch the "Messaging" application
2.Press "Menu" and tap "Settings"
3.Mark the "Spam Settings" check box if necessary
4.Tap "Add to spam numbers" and touch the "+" button
5.Enter the number you wish to block, or tap the "Contacts" icon and select a contact from your phonebook
6.Tap "Save" when ready

Upvote 0
Sorry, I missed that! OK for SMS
open Messaging app.
Tap and then select Settings.
Scroll down to find Spam filter and then tap it.
If the spam filter is off, tap the ON/OFF switch to enable it.
Tap Add to spam phrases.
Add a phrase to the spam list:
Tap .
Enter the required phrase WATSONS
Tap Save button.
Tap OK button.
The entered phrase will be added to the spam list and all messages contains with this phrase will be blocked.

For calls

Open from the homescreen of your Samsung galaxy S5 the menu and then the Settings. Here you will find in the section "Applications" the button "Call". Tap this and then navigate in the menu next to "call rejection".

Tap at first "Auto Reject Mode" and checke in the new window, if "Auto reject numbers" is activated. If it is not marked yet, activate it now.

At next step go to "Auto Reject List", which now gives you the opportunity to put numbers on the so-called blocking list for calls. You already find here an entry with "Unknown". Set the flag in the checkbox behind it in order to automatically reject incoming calls on your Samsung Galaxy S5 received by unknown callers.

Upvote 0
"However, I would like to inform you that we can block incoming calls on the phone and there is no such option on Samsung phone to block text messages. At this point of time, I request you to contact your service provider and check if they have an option to block the contact itself"
UNBELIEVABLE!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones