• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Blocking OTA 2.2 update in Vanilla FRG22

RTAdams89

Mar 8, 2010
I have the FRG22 vanilla rom installed (and obviously rooted). I believe SPRecovery should prevent the Verizon OTA 2.2 update from actually being installed, but I still get the "System Update Available" notice repeatedly. Is there a way to block this notification and prevent my phone from downloading the update in the background when using the vanilla FRG22 rom?

PS: I realize that most of the custom ROMs block OTA updates, but I'm not looking to switch ROMs.

so wat do i need to do w/ the recovery to block the ota notification?

You don't have to do anything. It should not let the update through. Unless something has changed since the eclair update.

That's not entirely true. In CM6, there isn't even a section to see for system updates (they removed it in their ROM, but it's in others. Lithium for example).

Regardless of whether you can see it or not, the recovery blocks ota updates. That's just one example of how polished cm really is.

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue too. I'm running the 2.1SP recovery and BB v0.4. Now, I have the 2.2 OTA pending and prompting me. Given that nothing in the recovery or BB seem to be blocking the OTA, what is the recommended approach for dealing with this?

I only rooted last week after being unhappy with manually installing the first 2.2 update, then the second.

Can I
1. backup with titanium backup
2. allow the ota
3. immediately re-install bb
4. restore from backup?

Does taking the OTA unroot the phone, and is it believed that it is safe to take the OTA on a rooted phone? (Sorry, like I said I only rooted last week, so I'm pretty new(bish).
Thanks.

Upvote 0
It's not the roms that block the update, it's the recovery.

I believe the recovery blocks the update from installing, but the ROM is what will check for/download it.

That's not entirely true. In CM6, there isn't even a section to see for system updates (they removed it in their ROM, but it's in others. Lithium for example).

"SystemUpdater.apk : OTA updater for 'offical' ROMs (Not used by CM) "
from the cyanogenmod wiki.. if you are feeling adventurous, use root explorer to rename systemupdater.apk to systemupdater.bak and see if the notifications go away.

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue too. I'm running the 2.1SP recovery and BB v0.4. Now, I have the 2.2 OTA pending and prompting me. Given that nothing in the recovery or BB seem to be blocking the OTA, what is the recommended approach for dealing with this?

I only rooted last week after being unhappy with manually installing the first 2.2 update, then the second.

Can I
1. backup with titanium backup
2. allow the ota
3. immediately re-install bb
4. restore from backup?

Does taking the OTA unroot the phone, and is it believed that it is safe to take the OTA on a rooted phone? (Sorry, like I said I only rooted last week, so I'm pretty new(bish).
Thanks.

I'm in the same boat and would like to know this as well...

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat and would like to know this as well...

I believe it will fail on the install. If it does take, flashing BB 0.4 over it will just overwrite the install and it will prompt you again to update, repeating the cycle.

How do you backup the ROM? Is that done with ROM Manager? If so, how? Thanks.

You can use ROM manager, or boot into recovery 'x+power' and choose advanced nandroid backup

Upvote 0
So it seems that FRG22 really is an earlier build than FRG01B?

I'm running FRG01B (from Google.com, manually installed) and rooted with and have not gotten OTA update notification.

Its not an earlier build but the build number is not what its supposed to be so the system wants to update it. Hell the build number probably isnt even in the system at all.

Upvote 0
So does anyone have a solution for this yet (aside from Pete's Fix)

I'm running vanilla FRG22, just like the OP. I do not want to flash a rom right now. I'm happy with my setup, and I don't want to install Pete's fix because it changes your build.prop to reflect that you are running bugless beast (which I am not) and puts pete's signature all over the place, which I also don't want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones