Blocking OTA 2.2 update in Vanilla FRG22

Last Updated:

1. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the FRG22 vanilla rom installed (and obviously rooted). I believe SPRecovery should prevent the Verizon OTA 2.2 update from actually being installed, but I still get the "System Update Available" notice repeatedly. Is there a way to block this notification and prevent my phone from downloading the update in the background when using the vanilla FRG22 rom?

PS: I realize that most of the custom ROMs block OTA updates, but I'm not looking to switch ROMs.

Advertisement
  2. gsxr310

gsxr310 Active Member

i too am getting the notification but i'm running bb v0.4. would like to know how to block the notification as well.

3. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

It's not the roms that block the update, it's the recovery.

4. gsxr310

gsxr310 Active Member

so wat do i need to do w/ the recovery to block the ota notification?

5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

That's not entirely true. In CM6, there isn't even a section to see for system updates (they removed it in their ROM, but it's in others. Lithium for example).

6. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

You don't have to do anything. It should not let the update through. Unless something has changed since the eclair update.

Regardless of whether you can see it or not, the recovery blocks ota updates. That's just one example of how polished cm really is.

7. jimdibb

jimdibb Well-Known Member

I'm having this issue too. I'm running the 2.1SP recovery and BB v0.4. Now, I have the 2.2 OTA pending and prompting me. Given that nothing in the recovery or BB seem to be blocking the OTA, what is the recommended approach for dealing with this?

I only rooted last week after being unhappy with manually installing the first 2.2 update, then the second.

Can I
    1. backup with titanium backup
    2. allow the ota
    3. immediately re-install bb
    4. restore from backup?

Does taking the OTA unroot the phone, and is it believed that it is safe to take the OTA on a rooted phone? (Sorry, like I said I only rooted last week, so I'm pretty new(bish).
    Thanks.

8. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

I believe the recovery blocks the update from installing, but the ROM is what will check for/download it.

"SystemUpdater.apk : OTA updater for 'offical' ROMs (Not used by CM) "
    from the cyanogenmod wiki.. if you are feeling adventurous, use root explorer to rename systemupdater.apk to systemupdater.bak and see if the notifications go away.

9. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

also got the update message today when i woke up. running BBv04. i think i'm gonna let it try and install, but first i will do a rom backup just in case.

10. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat and would like to know this as well...

11. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member

How do you backup the ROM? Is that done with ROM Manager? If so, how? Thanks.

12. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

I believe it will fail on the install. If it does take, flashing BB 0.4 over it will just overwrite the install and it will prompt you again to update, repeating the cycle.

You can use ROM manager, or boot into recovery 'x+power' and choose advanced nandroid backup

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I could be wrong so dont quote me on this but I believe to get it to go away you only have to press install. Recovery will block the install and when you boot back up it will no longer be an issue.

jojo29, Mominator and jimdibb like this.
  14. jimdibb

I took the plunge and did this and it worked fine.
    Thanks!

(oops, I quoted you, sorry :) )

jojo29 likes this.
  15. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

yea i just did the update too under BBv04. it reboots, tries to install, then gives me that screen with the triangle and ! in it. i just hit power button so it backs out into the the recovery menu, reboot the phone, and done. update is gone.

16. Mominator

Mominator Well-Known Member

Yay, It worked for me too! I like my root (BB) and want to keep it... FYI I got to the yellow droid guy and recovery menu, not the triangle, but I just rebooted and it seemed to work fine. No update icon anymore.

17. patch

patch Well-Known Member

So it seems that FRG22 really is an earlier build than FRG01B?

I'm running FRG01B (from official android clients site on google.com, manually installed) and rooted with and have not gotten OTA update notification.

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Its not an earlier build but the build number is not what its supposed to be so the system wants to update it. Hell the build number probably isnt even in the system at all.

19. Mominator

I have gotten the system update request four times now. I just tell it to install, it fails, and I reboot, but it's getting tiresome. Anyone else getting it multiple times?

Running BB 0.4

20. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes. I've tried both SPRecovery and CLockworkmod. Both successfully block the install, and the update notice will go away for a day or more, but it seems to always come back.

21. Mominator

I have SPRecovery too. Any other suggestions out there?

22. jimdibb

Peter Alfonso has a fix on his blog.
    http://www.peteralfonso.com/

Sorry, lost track of the original thread. Of course this solution is for bb 0.4.

23. subsynth

subsynth Active Member

So does anyone have a solution for this yet (aside from Pete's Fix)

I'm running vanilla FRG22, just like the OP. I do not want to flash a rom right now. I'm happy with my setup, and I don't want to install Pete's fix because it changes your build.prop to reflect that you are running bugless beast (which I am not) and puts pete's signature all over the place, which I also don't want.

24. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation. I'm runnin rooted FRG22 with Smoked Glass theme and i hit install, it rebooted, blocked it, and now no more notification. Of course, that was 4 hours ago, so we'l see.

25. subsynth

subsynth Active Member

I've gotten the update notifcation, restarted and installed, had the installation blocked, three days later the update notification comes back, repeat, three days later the notification comes back.