• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps [BlogPost] Android developer guidance on user experience and process thinking.

Kamajabu

Lurker
Jan 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm working as "fresh meat" in android development, and trying to learn as much as I can from as many people as possible :) In my opinion best way to do so is by discussion that focuses on talking about your experiences. So I wrote my first blog post about working with our little, green fella. Purpose of it is not only to share some knowledge, but also to learn from readers. It would be great help for me if you could look into it, and tell if you have similar experiences to mine. Or even point some error in thinking like "hey, you could easily solve it by using abc()!" or even "man, that's way too long, nobody have time for that" :p

http://naturaily.com/blog/post/firs...dance-on-user-experience-and-process-thinking

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I agree with your comments about usability. For me, simplicity and clarity is key. The user should be able to intuitively figure out how to use the app.

Thanks! I've finished another post recently that is about clarity of an app, in particular about help screens and more "designish" approach (how to show to a user what do you have to offer without scaring him away). I am really curious what people have to say in that matter, because feedback from others is even more important in UX design ;) And there are so many approaches to that topic from soooo many angles (from clear statistics and empirical research by psychology studies to special libraries giving you ready solutions).

Upvote 0
I know what you mean about not overwhelming the user with help, but yet making it clear what to do.
In one of my apps, the first thing you have to do is enter some basic data. So I tried to offer some help by making it pretty obvious that you need to click on a button to add some new items.
This only gets displayed by default on app first start, so when there's some data in there, then the user doesn't see the green overlay. However the help system can be activated from the menu bar, if the user needs it.

setlisthelp.png

Upvote 0
Ah, showcase approach, I've described that too :) But sometimes that one can be tricky too, currently i am working on an app that lets you share the list of gifts you would like to get. They are added by using "share by" on internet browser while you are searching for something in online stores. So basically, main functionality is outside the app, and highly depends on what browser user has.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones