• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloo - The Facebook App For Android

RozzaC

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2009
London, UK
So....has anyone here bought this?

What are your thoughts on it?

I haven't got around to buying it just yet as I was a little skeptical.

But it seems he's doing well, especially with making quick fixes to bugs and stuff....so I may buy it if he continues this level of work.

I thought about it, but I can't rationalize paying for an app. It takes about a week or two before I decide if I like an app, so there goes the "return policy". Plus Facebook is free, due to ad support. Thus he's cutting facebook's advertisers out by making his app ad-free. I doubt facebook is getting a cut of his profits, either. That's only going to last for so long before it starts to affect FB's bottom line and forces them to make a handful of un-fun decisions (like making you pay for facebook access).

Upvote 0
I thought about it, but I can't rationalize paying for an app. It takes about a week or two before I decide if I like an app, so there goes the "return policy". Plus Facebook is free, due to ad support. Thus he's cutting facebook's advertisers out by making his app ad-free. I doubt facebook is getting a cut of his profits, either. That's only going to last for so long before it starts to affect FB's bottom line and forces them to make a handful of un-fun decisions (like making you pay for facebook access).

Isn't m.facebook.com ad-free anyway?

Upvote 0
At the moment, yes, but that won't last forever. Expect that to change as more people use the mobile web version and fewer use the full site. The revenue generated from the ads make facebook possible.

Well perhaps, but your point was that he's cutting their support by cutting out the ads. Facebook themselves offer an ad-free version, so it doesn't matter which you use, you're still not seeing ads. You made it sound like he was actually doing something that Facebook themselves aren't doing.

Upvote 0
Some people don't want to use the mobile Facebook site. It's interface is lacking. Making a native Facebook app like what was done with Twitter is a step in the right direction.

The first one out was Babble (now Babbler). Both the same price. I like Babbler more, but I have Bloo as well and it isn't bad. It takes a long time to load the feed though, which is why I went back to Babbler.

edit: also the paid version of Babbler has a widget

Upvote 0
Now I have a Hero, I can see what you mean. Mobile site renders great but lacks much needed features such as commenting on posts, liking, etc. Shame that Facebook have not added those to the mobile site.

The full version works OK but rendering isn't too great - the bottom bar appears half way down the page and you can't click on the notifications bubble.

May have to try out that app!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones