1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Blown speaker, warranty or self-replace?

1. LoPan12

LoPan12 Well-Known Member

I've just encountered this problem, if I need to warranty my phone for a blown speaker, I've got to unroot it, correct? Also, do you think I should warranty it, or replace myself, I've got one of the first AMOLED screens. I haven't been keeping up to know how much of a difference exists between the two screens. Any input would be appareciated!

Advertisement
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I had a warranty replacement last month and received alomed.

I believe if you have alomed then they will ship you alomed.
  3. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

In my opinion amoled is better. Also yes, you NEED to unroot and go back to stock. I would send it in for a warranty.
  4. shred1

shred1 Well-Known Member

I had the blown speaker and un-rooted and got a nice refurb. I have since blown my speaker twice but was able to fix it with a very strong magnet.(hard drive). Remove the cover battery and the screen covering the speaker and use the corner of a very strong magnet to pull all the fine metal shaving from the speaker. Its worked twice for me,your results may very. I've also bought two replacement speakers for when the magnet doesn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O8OmRtyrZA&feature=player_embedded
  5. acidarmitage

acidarmitage Well-Known Member

the speakers not blown, save yourself time and trouble by getting the metal shavings out of the speaker with a strong magnet
  6. funkpod

funkpod Well-Known Member

hello, i think i have this problem as well. just happened last night, weird. what does pulling the metal shavings off of the speaker do, is that what is causing the static sound?
  7. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Right. I don't know if you're hearing the metal 'dancing' on the speaker, or if the metal actually effects the way the speaker works. In any case, removing the metal will make the speaker sound right.
  8. Dandapani

Dandapani Well-Known Member

I swapped my blown speaker out myself. $5.00 off eBay and 5 minutes of time using the video above. I did have the micro-torx screwdriver on hand already. That would have been the difficult part. I think I got mine at RadioShlock.
  9. itbedave

itbedave Well-Known Member

Same thing here - $5 replacement speaker off eBay - old one pops out, new one drops in. No soldering or anything. Just need to driver to remove the red cover and you're there.
  10. Dandapani

Blown again. Must be the same batch of cheap speakers. Any ideas on how to get a quality one?
  11. Dandapani

I found a USA supplier and bought 3 more speakers. Gotta make this dang DINC last until October before I can upgrade. :)