Blue LED on Moto car charger...

Last Updated:

1. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any idea if this could cause battery issues? I usually drive my car every day but I've never had anything like this stupid charger with a light that is PERMANENTLY on. My cigarette lighter port is powered 100% of the time, even when the car is turned off, locked, etc.

This also seems like a theft issue to me... it's just a stupid charger but that won't stop them from thinking "OMG SHINY BLUE LIGHT, MUST BE FANCY STUFF INSIDE!!!"

Any way to turn it off other than breaking it?

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I had the same question, frankly...my moto charger has a small blue LED on it, and my cig port it hot all the time as well (yours a BMW too?).

I figured that a tiny LED light can't hurt the battery, but I was paranoid enough that I always remove it...my commute is about 10 minutes each way, so it would be sitting there being blue w/out any engine running about 23 hours and 40 minutes a day....

3. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

My GPS has a blue led on the power plug, I haven't had an issue in 2 years, including when I had another charger with led plugged into another always-on cig lighter plug.

4. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Little black paint will fix that.

5. jimdibb

jimdibb Well-Known Member

Electrical tape.

6. PhishFunkadelic

PhishFunkadelic Member

The charger is always on in my VW and i was paranoid about keeping something plugged into it all of the time. I didn't want my battery to die on me. But after having something (usually an ipod with a radio transmitter) plugged in all of the time for about a year and a half now, i have never had to jump my car. I've actually jumped at least 20 cars in my work parking lot in the past six months alone. As for the light, i agree that electrical tape would be the best way to go.

7. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Cool...thanks for the info. I guess I'll not be worrying about that any more...

8. cb2000a

cb2000a Active Member

Unfortunately, Honda, in their infinite wisdom made the power plug on my Element go through the ignition. :rolleyes:

9. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member

If you don't like it always-on or if you don't like it on with the ignition, rewire it! It's pretty easy to find switched or un-switched 12V lines almost anywhere behind a dash, and as the charger will only draw .2 amps, doesn't add a discernible load to what ever circuit you connect it to...

--Bill

10. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with that. I also wired in a plug in that storage compartment by the map lights. Kept my gps up there. Though that would keep it safer since you can't really see it from outside the car, I was wrong.... In 17 years of having a car in Alaska I never locked it, move to Ohio and in 6 months it gets broken into, in my own damn driveway! :mad: