Blue tooth tethering?Support

Last Updated:

1. JeveStobs

JeveStobs New Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to the android world and so far I like my backflip. Even as total noon I've been able to install google voice and non approved apps by following tutorials here. Is there an app that works on the backflip that will allow me to use my phone as a blue tooth modem? I tried pdanet but the blue tooth feature was not available for the version of android on my phone. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Advertisement
  2. JeveStobs

Great Googlie Mooglie 115+ views and not a single reply. Does anyone use a tethering app that does blue tooth or wifi?

3. moosefist

moosefist Member

pdanet does bluetooth or at least it is supposed too. you can use the pc based client installer to get it on your phone. ffor some reason it doesn't show up in the market anymore

4. maciel310

maciel310 Well-Known Member

I just installed pdaNet on my device, and just so everyone knows the Bluetooth option in there requires Android 2.0 or higher, which obviously rules out our devices. I am not sure if it is because Android 1.5 doesn't support the Bluetooth DUN profile that pdaNet uses, or if it is a lack of a level of control in the Bluetooth APIs in 1.5 that prevent this from being possible. All that is to say it might not even be possible at all to have Bluetooth tethering until our devices get upgraded to 2.1 (or higher). Hopefully by then though a root becomes available and we can just use wifi tethering for a fast and wireless connection.

5. JeveStobs

Thanks to everyone for some replies. The reason I was looking at blue tooth was so that I could tether my ipad to my existing data plan. I don't want to pay ATT for another data plan.

I was also trying to see if there as any kind of wifi tethering, but have been unable to find anything that looks promising.

Thanks,

6. maciel310

maciel310 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that the iPad allows connecting to a bluetooth dailup networking profile? I would be surprised if it did. And with how they lock down their devices, that would be pretty much the only way you could do it is if the OS natively supported it (no chance of another application running in the background providing a passthru service, like pdaNet does). The exception might be if you Jailbreak your iPad, but I am not sure about the progress on this front and what all it would unlock for you.

As I said, WiFi tethering is available for any device that is rooted, so once root comes for our phones that will definitely be an option. Until then it looks like it may not be possible to tether your iPad to your Backflip.

7. JeveStobs

maciel310 Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to wait until the root happens. I think you may very well be right that the blue tooth tethering won't work. However, I know when I purchased my Ipad that they were also selling Sprint Wireless 3G hotspots, and that they worked with the ipad. Again, I just didn't want to pay for another data plan.

So I guess I jsut need to wait until the root for the phone. Hopefully this does occur before too terribly long.

Thanks again,