Bluetooth- Can't uncheck "media audio"Support

Last Updated:

1. cdavis1381

cdavis1381 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

(I'm sorry if I say anything stupid. I've never used bluetooth before.) I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback and the dealer showed me how to use its bluetooth feature with my htc incredible. I want to use it for "phone audio" but not "media audio". To access these options, I long-click on the device name (Mazda) and then click on Options. I then uncheck the "media audio" box, but within a few seconds it checks again automatically. I called and talked to Mazda and they said my phone is "fully compatible", so it should be possible to use it for only phone audio, and that something in the phone was having it connect automatically. I called htc and they basically said bluetooth is really complicated and doesn't work very well. Do any of you know better than the (admittedly friendly) htc representative what I can do? (The car stereo displays both a phone symbol and a media symbol when the bluetooth is paired, so it is able to differentiate between the two.)

Maybe this isn't possible. My goal is to be able to:
    1. Listen to the car stereo
    2. Have spoken navigation from my phone
    3. Have phone calls routed through the car's stereo.
    Is there an ad hoc way to accomplish this? Of the three, the third is the least important, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I'm sorry to write so much.

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I don't think you can do that because I think it routes navigation through whatever channel is playing music. For example, I have an FM transmitter in my car and I use a BT headset for hands free. My music plays over my FM transmitter. My navigation instructions play over my FM transmitter as well. Phone calls come over BT. This is all by default. I didn't have to make any configuration changes to make this happen.

If I'm in my car and I don't have my BT headset on me, it routes everything over the FM transmitter (plugged into the headphone jack of course) and if someone calls, my phone goes into speakerphone mode and the caller can be heard over my car stereo.

If I unplug the transmitter, I can stream the audio directly to my BT headset, but navigation instructions still come directly to the headset and not through the phone speaker. In any case, navigation instructions always seem to come over whatever is playing my music. Why do you not want navigation instructions to come over the car speakers?

3. cdavis1381

Thanks for your quick reply. I would love to have the navigation come through the car speakers, but I'm pretty confident I can't have both that and music through the car speakers (unless the music is coming from the phone).

4. A.Nonymous

You can actually. How it works depends on the app. Some apps will mute the music, play the navigation instructions and then unmute the music. Other apps pause the music, play the nav instructions, then start the music again. There are a few poorly coded apps that don't pause or mute the music and continue to play it through the navigation instructions. In all of these cases, both the music and the navigation play through the speakers on the car.

5. cdavis1381

That would be great. Could you recommend one? I'm not sure how to search for these apps. Is something like "Super BT Mono" the right app? Muting the music seems like what I want. (I'm often listening to the radio, so pausing wouldn't make as much sense.)

6. A.Nonymous

Wait, you're listening to the car radio or you're listening to Internet radio over the phone?

7. cdavis1381

I'm listening to the car radio through the car's antenna, not streaming radio over the phone. There is a noticeable drop in quality when listening to it over the phone.

I can think of two possible solutions to my problem. One solution would be an app or setting which would cause navigation commands and other "media audio" to be treated the same way as "phone audio", so that it could interrupt the car stereo. The other solution would be to uncheck the "media audio" bluetooth box, which would cause the media audio to be played through the phone's speakers, as usual.

Maybe I'll try the Super BT Mono app right now and see if it does what I want.

Thanks again for the advice.

8. A.Nonymous

Not sure how useful my info is then. I was thinking you were playing audio from your phone to your stereo via bluetooth.

9. kpslick

kpslick Member

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem.

I have a HTC desire S and a 2010 Ford mondeo with the Sony DAB stereo. When it connects to the car via Bluetooth, both options automatically check. When i uncheck the media option, it automatically re checks a few seconds later. Drives me mad.

I used to have the original HTC Desire and could until this box and keep it un ticked. It did use to automatically tick on connection, but it did let me un tick it and it would stay unticked. It didn't used to at first, but after a while it would let me. I could then have all sounds from the phone through the phone speaker except for the calls, which would be routed to the car stereo.

From the little I have found on the subject, some people recommend installing astro Bluetooth from the market. Might be worth a try.