Bluetooth DisconnectsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MrBojenglz

MrBojenglz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ever since the first OTA update in early December my Bluetooth hasn't worked right. It never connects automatically in my car and it frequently disconnects on it's own and doesn't reconnect unless I turn it off then back on. The worst part is it's GUARANTEED to disconnect when I'm making a phone call. The bluetooth cuts out and if I pick up the phone the other person still can't hear me. I have to end the call and call back. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it? I haven't found a thing about it on the forums.

Advertisement
  2. purcyp103

purcyp103 New Member

I had a similar problem with my Samsung Note II after a OTA to Kit Kat. I noticed that the range of the bluetooth was diminished by over 90%. In other words from 30' to 2'. I scoured a lot of the bluetooth forums and noted that I was not alone. You can check your range by pairing a set of bluetooth headphones or speaker to the phone then fire up some music with the headphones or speaker next to the phone, while listning carry the headphones or speaker away from the cell phone with no walls between. You should be able to go at least 30' before the signal degrades. I was hoping in my case that at&t would come out with another update to correct the issue but that never happened. Well I bought for Christmas a Gear 2 watch and unless I had the phone in my pants pocket next to the watch on my arm it would lose bluetooth connection.
    I finally had an online chat with Samsung tech help and they never would admit that there was a problem but they were aware of the issue that I was experiencing. They suggested that I carry my phone to my Best Buy store, find the "Samsung Experience" booth and talk to their tech person and that they would refresh the OTA download at no charge and that should take care of my issue. I told her that I did not buy this phone from Best Buy and that it was well out of warranty. She said that won't matter as long as the phone is not rooted. I did what she suggested, it took about 20 miutes since they were not busy and not only did it correct the bluetooth range issue but also an issue I had with battery consumption. The tech guy at Best Buy told me that when you download a large file like an operating system upgrade over wi-fi or using your carrier's data, the chances of loosing the tiniest bit of bytes or bits of data are very high. Best Buy hooked my phone up directly to a laptop so it was a wired download. I am now a happy camper. I hope that this helps those of you out there that are also exeperiencing this problem.

(O^O)

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, the tech guy was wrong about that. OTA files are delivered in signed packages, with a sort of checksum, and if even one byte is wrong the signature will fail and the update will not be installed.

I have no explanation for why BT stopped working, but that explanation was incorrect.