1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Bluetooth file transfer

Last Updated:

1. dabicho

dabicho Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    I wanted to transfer files back and forth between my android pone and a laptop.
    Quite honestly I had never used bluetooth before, but since this phone has it I am playing around with it.

I tried Astro and ES File explorer, but those work only if I need to transfer files between phones.

I then found out Bluetooth File Transfer which lets me share files between my phone and my laptop.
    That app is very nice, and also by the same developer Dual File Manager.
    both free from the market.

But I supposed file transfer via bluetooth between a laptop or other devices and the phone was a given.
    Is an extra app absolutely necessary or did I miss something? What other File Managers with bluetooth support do you know of?

Also what other (app that ) uses (of) bluetooth are out there?

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Maybe you missed the fact that this is a smartphone and only the essential apps have to be loaded by default because you can install everything else yourself, some people need BT file transfer others don't.

3. dabicho

dabicho Member This Topic's Starter

Is there anything wrong with being new to smart phones and making an honest question that makes it deserve a smart ass answer?

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

It was not a smartass answer at all. It was simply an honest answer where I wanted you to realize how the smartphone world works. This is what we are here for, help.

5. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

No need to be rude. Given the bloat-ware and pre-installed apps that come in different combinations on different phones these days, there is no telling what is the default. Also, unless you've gone through EVERY function of EVERY app pre-installed on your phone, how would you know what you might have missed?

@dabicho: Like I said above, with so many manufacturers & carriers pre-installing apps in various ways, it's hard to tell sometimes what's available out of the box without going through every single app on your phone. As a result it's possible some phones come with an app pre-installed with BT file transfer ability. Mine did not.

I see a lot of posts on the forums where people say "why didn't X come with the phone in the first place" or "Why doesn't x a part of Android by default?"

The basic principle of Android is a very capitalistic one. In some cases, Google has created its own version of an app and pre-installed it, or made it available in the Market, and in some cases they''ve felt that given resources (or a lack of them) it's better to let a 3rd party come up with something amazing, rather than pushing out something mediocre because they can't devote a whole team to one app.

As for other apps that use BT for file transfer, I honestly haven't tried any of them yet, but there are many that use WiFi to do the same thing. I use "WebSharing" myself (there is a paid and free version) that lets you connect to your phone from your PC web browser over a WiFi network.

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]WebSharing File/Media Sync
    by NextApp, Inc.
    10,000 downloads, 976 ratings (4.6 avg)
    [/td][td]$2.99
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]WebSharingLite File/Media Sync
    by NextApp, Inc.
    50,000 downloads, 1049 ratings (4.6 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

I hope any rudeness has not put you off the forums. :)

6. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

The way you worded your reply seemed rude, which is why the user took offense. It suggests he is stupid for not already knowing how the "smart phone world" works.

And since, as I pointed out, there are so many different phones with different pre-installed apps, it is misleading to say that there are "essential" apps without explaining how one new to a smart phone should know which are which.