Bluetooth GPSAccessories

Last Updated: 2011-01-30 23:39:52
  1. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Greetings everyone!

I own a bluetooth GPS receiver that I have used with my old phone (Nokia N95), and they worked great in tandem.

Now I got a new HTC Desire Z and I am wondering if it's possibe to to use the receiver with my new phone. The phone sees the GPS mouse, however, in the bluetooth settings I only see "paired but not connected". I don't see any option to connect, just unpair. Will the two devices be able to work together somehow?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member

In the Bluetooth settings where it says "Paired but not Connected" long press and you should get a menu that has options.
  3. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

I tried that. The only option I get is "unpair". Apart from the receiver I also see my old phone and my PC. Both of them are paired but not connected. And in both cases I only get "unpair"
  4. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

May I ask why you would want to do this? Your phone has a perfectly fine GPS itself.
  5. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

The simple answer would be - because I own it, and I'd hate to see it just sit around useless.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here :). I was hoping that maybe if I'm able to use them together I would get quicker lock on and better accuracy.
  6. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

I get the feeling, though I don't think there's much difference between the phone's GPS and the one you have. I think it would rather be a hassle for the phone and the GPS to work together because the phone might be like "WTH? I have GPS myself".

Since they're not pairing properly I don't think they will work.
  7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Seems like they should work but I've never tried this myself. As far as accuracy is concerned, I doubt you'll get much better unless your GPS receiver just isn't getting a fix and your phone is falling back on a less accurate method of determining your location. Quicker fix might be possible though, depending on how slow your phone's receiver is.
  8. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I seem to get a rather quick fix with the built in GPS on the Desire Z. It takes a few seconds for me.
  9. Fusion295

Fusion295 Member

Thanks for your input guys. I've had time o test the GPS since my last post, and it seems to be working well without the aid of the receiver.

cheers!