Bluetooth GPS?

Last Updated:

1. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know if the Hero supports Bluetooth GPS?

I've read where this is only supported in 2.0+ devices. If you're running a 2.0+ ROM, would this mean you can run a Bluetooth GPS or does it also need to be supported by the Bluetooth hardware in your phone?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

Check out the Blue Ant T1. It's on there website but has not been releaed yet. It is supposed to have GPS come through the headset plus other benefits and doesn't say a thing about 1.5, 2.0, 2.1, etc. I've had a Z9i over a year and love it. TC

3. JDuc

Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately I'm not looking for a headset, I'm looking for GPS. :)

4. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

Please excuse my confusion, but can someone please explain to me why Bluetooth GPS would be desired, when the Hero comes already equipped with a very capable GPS module? Or am I misunderstanding something? :confused:

5. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I think the question is a bit ambiguous, but I think the question is, "How can I connect the GPS in my phone via bluetooth to a laptop/netbook?"

This would be beneficial if you have maps on the PC, in order to be able to use GPS whether on the network or not. This can be accomplished theoretically because the PC would hold the maps.

However, I could be misunderstanding the intent of the question...

6. Whiteicedmstech

Whiteicedmstech Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is in the same boat, but with switching from my BB Curve 8330 to the HTC Hero, the bluetooth on my phone doesn't do the same thing for me that the bluetooth on the curve did. Let me explain: I have a Parrot kit in my car so the phone calls and what not come through my stereo system. On the BB Curve, when using the Sprint Navigation, I could press the bottom right button on the curve "The Speakerphone" button and it would then output the GPS navigation through my Parrot Kit. Now with the HTC hero, I am not able to do this. When I hit speakerphone on my HTC Hero, it just outputs the navigation through the speaker on the phone and won't sync up via Bluetooth to my Parrot kit to allow me to have the GPS output through my stereo system. This is one thing that really made me disappointed with moving from the Curve to the Hero. I wish there was a way to fix this as the GPS on the Curve and the Hero are both the Sprint Navigation program provided by Sprint. Whiteice

7. JDuc

Phones with GPS only have a 1 HZ refresh rate. External GPS devices have upwards of a 5HZ refresh rate. When you refresh more often, you have a much more accurate GPS path.

When you're using GPS for things OTHER than just navigating through traffic - let's say as a GPS lap timer for racing - then having a much more accurate GPS tracking option becomes critical.

A PRIME example: Racing motorcycles - if I had a bluetooth GPS device that I could mount on my bike and keep my phone stashed elsewhere - having a BT device that updates at 5HZ instead of the laggard phone at 1 HZ would provide me with MUCH more accurate data to determine where I'm slow around the track and would in turn be much more beneficial to me.

Also, when you're in a very busy area, or an area that's congested with streets that are packed on top of each other, having a GPS that's slower to update compared to one that's faster to update, can make all of the difference in the world.

Regardless of my use for such an application and others lack of an understanding for said use - which, IMHO shouldn't determine whether they should provide an answer or not, I'm still stuck in the same boat...without a clear answer to my question. :)

8. tkkg

tkkg New Member

@OP: Check out the bluetooth gps app in Market. I tried it with my milestone and i-blue 747 gps. It's to check if your Hero works with bt gps or not. Sadly the application can't record log or share gps info with other apps.

9. dominicanyor

dominicanyor Well-Known Member

can someone tell how can i listen to pandora in my car, is there a wire that i need to buy to connect from my hero to the radio in my car?

thanks.