• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth headset mutes in the middle of the call

denarced

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Hi,

I have a Galaxy S3 4g (I9305) and Jabra Wave bluetooth headset.
The problem:
  1. Call someone or someone calls me.
  2. The headset always works in the beginning of the call.
  3. Randomly the headset mic mutes.
  4. I can hear what the other guy is saying but they can't hear me.
  5. The problem can be fixed by turning off the headset from the phone and then turning it back on.

Suggested fix
I read from somewhere that the issue should be fixed by
  1. Reseting the headset.
  2. Removing the headset pairing from the phone.
  3. Switching off the headset.
  4. Restarting the phone.
  5. Turning on the headset.
  6. Repairing the headset.
That actually sounds more like a general procedure. It could probably fix quite a few issues but it didn't fix mine :(

My questions
First, is there a way to figure out which device is to blame? Is there some error log somewhere that I check? Is there a debugging mode which can be turned on so the logs would be more verbose? If I have enough confidence that the bluetooth headset is to blame then I can return it. So far I haven't tried another headset.

Second, have you heard of some other instances where a problem like this occurred. I checked "similar threads" suggestions and some of those were similar but none of them muted the headset during call.

All input and participation is appreciated :thumb:
Cheers

What version of android are you running and can you check for a software update for your Jabra Wave

Thanks for your response.
I originally ran the stock Android 4.1 and recently updated to 4.3. The Android version does not appear to have any effect on the issue at hand.
Haven't updated Jabra Wave yet. Never thought about it actually :D

Upvote 0
yep, same exact problem for me but different headset. Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.4.2, with LG Tone+ HBS730. All worked fine for years until the last couple months. At first I blamed the headset, bought another one, and it happens on that one too. Same symptom as reported, all works fine on the call for a while, then suddenly I can not be heard on the other end, like on mute, but I can still hear them.

I really would love to find a fix for this. This seems like such a basic function for a phone and it is very disappointing that it is problematic.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,
Chad

Upvote 0
yep, same exact problem for me but different headset. Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.4.2, with LG Tone+ HBS730. All worked fine for years until the last couple months. At first I blamed the headset, bought another one, and it happens on that one too. Same symptom as reported, all works fine on the call for a while, then suddenly I can not be heard on the other end, like on mute, but I can still hear them.

I really would love to find a fix for this. This seems like such a basic function for a phone and it is very disappointing that it is problematic.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,
Chad

I used to have this issue with my former S3, I found out that my headset was interfiering with the car bluetooth. If you have other BT devices paired and on in the vicinity of the headset this will cause all sorts of problems with the BT connection. I suggest you unpair all devices and try it with only the headset to pin point the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones