• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth (HID) Keyboard?

RabidWolf69m

Mar 21, 2012
Let me just start out that this is my first post here.(oops, just noticed it was my 4th, guess that's what happens when stressed...phone, cars, family...etc... LOL)

The reason I'm posting, as the title says, is that I'm wondering how I can get a Bluetooth (HID) Keyboard (or really any HID Device) to work with the ZTE-Z990. I tell myself I did a through search for this topic, but found flat zero on it for these phones. When I try to connect any HID device I get the message "Sorry but HID device is not supported on this phone."

Is there a work-around for this?

My phone is rooted, with SuperUser, CWMv5.0.2.0, and Android 2.3.4

Yes try getting the same version of bluetooth Keyboard as u have on the phone. it should work.

Yeah, that is of no use what-so-ever, as are most the other posts you've left today since you've joined. Did you join just to spam these awesome forums?

There has to be a file that I can modify, change, etc. to add this HID keyboard to my ZTE?

Upvote 0
I read through a few threads about HID for other gingerbread phones, and it really seemed to be hit or miss if it would end up working.

There was an android wiki i read that used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teksoftco.android.blueinput off the play store.

But reading the reviews its about 50-50 if it ends up working. i think it might be a little pricey, but thats a link to the demo so you can see if it works or not.

If you end up searching more just look up like "HID bluetooth support GINGERBREAD" or something that is general, then see what works for other people and go from there.

I think i read something about it being a kernel mod, but I just glanced at it, so don't quote me on that. Maybe some other enterprising dev will look into it.

Reactions: RabidWolf69m
Upvote 0
I read through a few threads about HID for other gingerbread phones, and it really seemed to be hit or miss if it would end up working.

There was an android wiki i read that used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teksoftco.android.blueinput off the play store.

But reading the reviews its about 50-50 if it ends up working. i think it might be a little pricey, but thats a link to the demo so you can see if it works or not.

If you end up searching more just look up like "HID bluetooth support GINGERBREAD" or something that is general, then see what works for other people and go from there.

I think i read something about it being a kernel mod, but I just glanced at it, so don't quote me on that. Maybe some other enterprising dev will look into it.

Tried the one from the play store, no-go. Tried several others from the play store, again nothing.

Did a little more research and seems this version (2.3.4) does NOT have a full bluetooth stack and does not support HID devices of any kind (except headsets). It's a kernel issue with this AT&T Avail.

Finally, last night, did what I've been needing to do for a long time, partitioned my SD and freed up mucho internal memory. I think my SD partition is actually faster than the internal memory on this phone.

Anyways, back to topic... I need to modify the kernel to fix this blasted bluetooth stack (HID) issue, well, more WANT TO, now that I've found out it has one...

Edit: Read that I can use a keyboard in SPP mode, but this keyboard (and none of the cheap ones) support SPP mode, I'd have to pay more than I did for the phone brand new.

Upvote 0
I have done a little digging in my free time, which isn't much...
I have discovered that 2.3.4 does, in-fact, support HID devices; however, it's optional and was not included in the AT&T Avail series, I do not know about the Merit series.

Can anyone actually confirm this, and if so, where can I "add" this optional support which I desire so much?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones