Bluetooth Keyboard for Droid X?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. tkdgaucho

tkdgaucho New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I just bought a Droid X (first chance to explore the Android OS). I'm a college student and I was thinking about using my Droid X as a netbook-like system to take notes. I was looking for bluetooth keyboards online, almost every review of them was horrid. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks a bunch.

Advertisement
  2. Fenotyp

Fenotyp Well-Known Member

I too am looking for BT keyboards. I found this article that says the Microsoft 6000 (Staples, $50) works well, but the Apple keyboard disconnected often.

I tried hooking up to an apple BT keyboard that was on display at Best Buy, but couldn't get it to connect, even after turning off the iMac it was paired to.

I'm hoping MS will come out with a BT version of their 2.4 GHz Arc keyboard, because it looks pretty sweet, is small, and comfortable to type on. I'm not holding my breath though.

3. tkdgaucho

I read that same article :) I wasn't too sure though, so I wanted to see if anyone had any experience on this subject. I also heard the apple one disconnects a lot with the android operating system and that it was over a foot wide, so that ruled it out for me haha. Let's hope we get some more responses.

4. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member

Yep! I can recommend one. The Freedom Pro Keyboard. It's an awesome folding little BT keyboard and you can download custom Android drivers for it. I tried for MONTHS to get it to work with my DInc but without success...then I find out HTC used the 1.6 version BT stack in the DInc because they couldn't get it compatible with SenseUI. Really upset me. BUT, I tried it on my DX and had it working in literally 5 minutes. Works great. Doesn't seem to drop out letters. Had some mistakes but I think that's down to my not being used to to keyboard and making silly errors. Then I typed for awhile error free! Love it, just love it.

Esp with the large DX screen, it's a great alternative to a netbook, smaller and always has internet!

Good luck!

cadcoke5 and iPhone2Droid like this.
  5. tkdgaucho

Thanks! I'll look into it! I just don't want to buy something expensive then have it not work, ya know?

6. noisygecko

noisygecko New Member

I bought the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth keyboard (from Staples), and kind-of works. It pairs and connects with my Droid X and then works pretty well. It disconnected once spontaneously.

But, once it disconnects for whatever reason, it will not reconnect. I have to unpair, and then pair and reconnect. The keyboard appears to try to re-pair with the phone since a notifier comes up, but then the phone gets confused and times out with an error.

Has anyone else tried this? Anyone succeeded with other keyboards? And when I say "succeed" I mean that it pairs and then reconnects easily, not that it works after an annoying pairing process each time.

7. g8rpal

g8rpal New Member

I (finally) got the di novo mini from logitech to work w/ droid x but it wasnt easy. (boy wish I could have gotten a droid 2)

Got it working w/ twistys (text adventures), quake4droid, doom, and opentyrian so far. I don't expect to have any problems getting it to work w/ NES, Snes or Gensoid either. The phone sits on top of the keyboard tray real nice too.

BlueKeyboardJP was what finally did the trick.

Also, when you are first trying to establish a connection, enter 0000 on the phone using the on screen keyboard, and also enter 0000 on the keyboard and press enter.

It took awhile to get it to work but it does work.

Seems to be reconnecting now pretty well.

Also tried to zeemote ime app and got it to work w/ the zeemote. I did not need gamepro drivers. but be warned it only has 3 buttons meaning you have to use the the onscreen keyboard ALSO for many emus.

All this w/ RealHDMI and it makes for a pretty cool portable game system.

(until my Pandora arrives...)

Still prefer my WiBrain or Gp2x but I always have my phone w/ me.

8. Bulaien

Bulaien New Member

Varaonaid, do you still think the Freedom Pro Keyboard is still a good choice for your Droid X since your July 26, 2010 message? I've seen other reviews that is contrary to what you had written and just want to be sure before I make the purchase.

9. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

I bought a Think Outside Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard XTBT01 (also sold under the iGo brand name) that works real well. It's similar to the Freedom Pro as it folds in half so is very portable. The only thing I don't like about it is because of its compact size, it's a bit of a pain for typing numbers as you have to hit a function key, then the number key. For letters, it works just fine.

10. simplicitous

simplicitous New Member

Got the Freedom Pro to work with Droid X by getting the driver from their site. "We strongly recommend that you install these drivers directly on to your Android device by going to OTAdrivers.com - Drivers for Freedom Input from your Android's internet browser. This will ensure that you have the latest version available."

The two things I had to do to pair, was make my droid discoverable during the pairing and pair on the HID side. It took some tries, but now it works great

11. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member