1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Bluetooth keyboard for EvoAccessories

1. cyberpine

cyberpine Well-Known Member

Anybody using a bluetooth keyboard and or mouse on the Evo.

Which one?
    How well does it work?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

This is all I heard so far.

3. igzekyativ

igzekyativ Well-Known Member

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. Neitherfanboy

Neitherfanboy Well-Known Member

5. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

it sucks that we have to root to get HID Bluetooth to work
  6. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

+1

If we wait for OTA 2.2, can we expect all this new functionality while preserving warranty/TEP ins ??
  7. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

IOW, FroYo. All those things are standard in FroYo. If you don't want to root, wait for HTC to finish up their 2.2 release to get 360 degree rotation, wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, etc. etc. except with the benefit of having Sense on top.
    stainlessray likes this.
  8. TambourineMan

TambourineMan Well-Known Member

The Freedom Pro BT keyboard works - there are several threads on it. My EVO is not yet rooted. I did have some initial problems getting it to connect once paired, but now it seems to be quite reliable.
  9. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Thanks...off to search.
  10. igzekyativ

igzekyativ Well-Known Member

Sprint will probably block the wifi tether since they currently charge you for it
  11. mynamewastaken

I don't know.. maybe if they don't have very many people paying for it, they'll start allowing it for free for the better press. They already give away Sprint Navigation (it's not free on other phones, or rather, it's part of the $10 extra, depending on who you ask) because no-one with an EVO would pay for it separately given Google's already integrated nav app. Maybe they will take the same approach with wi-fi tethering.

Or maybe not. I just can't say for 100% certain that Sprint will simply disable/remove the FroYo wi-fi tethering until I see what they end up doing.
  12. tjwoo

tjwoo Well-Known Member

Hrm? Sprint navigation has been free on every smartphone i've had since over two years ago, including all blackberrys, samsungs etc.
  13. henbone11

henbone11 Member

agreed, sprint nav has always been free on my smartphones as well. I would guess that sprint will block wifi tethering in the rom. even though its a feature of the OS sprint ultimately does what they want with the rom before releasing it to customers (touch pro fm radio disabled). and since they are generating some revenue from those who actually pay for wifi tether, I doubt they will allow those who simply upgrade their OS to get it for free.
  14. mynamewastaken

Sprint will have to decide if the revenue they're getting from users paying for tethering is greater than the customers they can attract by offering tethering for free.
  15. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

So what is the status on BT keyboards post OTA 2.2? Does this "Freedom Pro BT keyboard" still work? Is it the only thing that works?
  16. pominnz

pominnz Member

Apparently not, I was hoping that 2.2 would allow me to use my Stowaway iGo BT keybaord, but no :-(

Although I've been singing my Android phones praises over the iPhone 4 to my colleagues, I was able to successfully and painlessly get my keybaord working with both the iPhone 4 and iPad.

It really does bug me that something so simple hasn't found its way into the 2.2 build.
  17. CaCa2

CaCa2 New Member

I picked up an HID bluetooth keyboard thinking I could easily connect it to my Sprint EVO 4G. I tried BlueInput and KeyPro, but neither works. I do not want to root my phone because it will void the warranty/insurance. What is OTA 2.2, do I have it, or where can I get it? Will it solve my connection problem?
  18. TambourineMan

TambourineMan Well-Known Member

Any updates on what bluetooth keyboards work with what versions of Android?
  19. bgibson135

bgibson135 New Member

I bought an HTC Hero phone & waited... for Bluetooth keyboard connectivity.
    I got an HTC EVO & waited... for Bluetooth keyboard connectivity.

I have a Logitech Revue system (full-sized keyboard). I installed the free "WIFI Keyboard" Android app on both the Hero & EVO, went to the Chrome browser on my Revue system, and entered the unique URL listed from the app, and "Connected"... I was able to type on the Revue keyboard to either phone (I have Exchange email on the phones.). I can change the input to TV, and continue to type to the phone, while I watch TV. This isn't Bluetooth, its WIFI. And, the app only works where you have a keyboard attached to a laptop, PC, or in my case the Revue. But, if the Android OS programmers ever provide the appropriate Bluetooth keyboard driver(s), it will be sweet to plop my phone down, pick up a full-sized keyboard and start actually being productive from my smart phone.
  20. redraiduzz

redraiduzz Member

I bought a BT mini keyboard several months ago with much anticipation and excitement! NO JOY!

I had found a few BT drivers to alternate putting on the phone, and those aren't even just readily available on the market.
    But after perusing several other forums and researching this matter deeply, the upshot on this mess is that at the very least, HTC Androids do not come equipped with the BT HID stack needed.

Note, I have a rooted phone running MikGB 2.5 and it still doesn't matter.
    I ran CM7 about a year ago and switched back to sense. If I'd stayed on the CM build, I could have utilized it.
    The difference in essence is this:
    Sense, which is the ROM Mik and HTC for stock builds use, doesn't support BT HID.
    CyaongenMod is an AOSP ROM, and it WILL support the BT HID or does come with the BT HID stack in it.
    I think Vaelek might be an AOSP ROM if he's still doing anything with it. Not sure.
    But that's the bottom line -AOSP ROMs can do the BT keyboard and Sense ROMs, at least pre-ICS, cannot. I don't even know if an ICS build can do it either. :(