• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth not working with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata

BigSlick

Jun 20, 2010
I just purchased the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. My wifes phone is a Samsung Rogue and works great with the BT without any problems at all.

My Incredibe, however, doesnt work with it for shit. I get it to pair and connect right away. It says it's connected to voice and media, then all of a sudden it just says that its connected to media. I dont even see how its connected to media cause it wont play music thought the cars speakers when it says it is doing so. I press the BT button and the car shows downloading phone book for about 2 seconds and goes away. No voice asking me the name or number or anything. This is pretty frustrating. I know other people had similar problems so I figured I would start a new thread and see if anyone is still having issues and if there is a fix for it.

Have you tried deleting and re-pairing?

One annoying thing it does to me is sometimes I have to go into the BT settings and manually tell it to connect to my phone. My wife is the primary driver and her old LG connects every time and works fine. The root problem is the bluetooth stack on the Inc. My co-worker has an Inc and just got a 2011 Ford Edge. He has had problems getting it working with MS Sync too.

Upvote 0
i have the same exact issue. i have an incredible with android 2.2. purchased a new sonata 2.0t. phone pairs and connects with sonata bluetooth but gets locked up on downloading phonebook. i took it to the dealer twice asking if it is a car bluetooth problem or if the phone is incompatible. after the second trip and the tech talking on the phone with hyundai engineers, the problem is that the sonata bt and android is not completely compatible. the new sonatas do not have internal flash memory to store your contacts so it tries to use the contacts in your phone book when it's "downloading".

the only solution to get the bluetooth working was to set the car setting on download contacts to no. then when the phone pairs with the car, your phone will ask you if you want the sonata to access your phonebook and you say no. now the phone is paired with the car without trying to "download" contacts so you can do dial by number only, answer calls, and bt streaming (i.e. pandora, slacker, etc.) You won't be able to store phone numbers or names by voice or dial by name as it needs to access the phone's contact. It's better than nothing until the android os becomes compatible with the sonata bt system. hope this helps and if anybody else gets it to work, let us know.

Upvote 0
I have samsung captivate and goes fine with my new sonata 2011.
Just make sure u go to settings and enable stream media from bluetooth.
Also once ur phone got paired u need hit media button in order to play ur music....it gets from there pretty well u can control the media from u steering mounted controls too... only drawback I would say is it wont say what song ur playing.... it just says source: galaxy s media: file...
hope this helps...

Upvote 0
Well I have good news for some of you who have had the Incredible sync problem I and some others have described earlier. After 2 weeks or so of the "Phonebook Downloading" hangup I finally got a message saying "Transfer Complete" on the Sonata LCD. Since then I can do everything normally: Dial by name, number, play music and use GPS over bluetooth. So much better!
So my advice is to others is to be patient. My contact list is huge so it may take yours awhile too. Also the hangup still occurs from time to time (but only briefly) after I've added contacts to the phone. I then get the same "Transfer Complete" message after it's done updating amd all works normally again.

Upvote 0
I just purchased the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. My wifes phone is a Samsung Rogue and works great with the BT without any problems at all.

My Incredibe, however, doesnt work with it for shit. I get it to pair and connect right away. It says it's connected to voice and media, then all of a sudden it just says that its connected to media. I dont even see how its connected to media cause it wont play music thought the cars speakers when it says it is doing so. I press the BT button and the car shows downloading phone book for about 2 seconds and goes away. No voice asking me the name or number or anything. This is pretty frustrating. I know other people had similar problems so I figured I would start a new thread and see if anyone is still having issues and if there is a fix for it.
I had the same problem with my HTC Raider and my 2011 Sonata. I found out there may be a compatibility issue. So I downloaded and installed VLINGO on my phone, disabled Google's voice recognition and made VLINGO the default. Now everything works fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones