Bluetooth OR Wi-fi toggler

Last Updated:

1. kwaping

kwaping Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi dev people,

I'm a programmer but don't have time to learn Android programming right now, so I'm going to gift you with this idea. All I want in return is a free copy. :)

I noticed that most of the time when I'm using bluetooth, I'm not in a wi-fi area. (Walking the dog with bluetooth headphones, or in my car.) I also noticed that when I'm using wi-fi, I'm almost always not using bluetooth. (Work, home, etc.)

My idea is for a small (single-square) widget that works as a three-way toggle with a single press:

1. Bluetooth on, wi-fi off
    2. Wi-fi on, bluetooth off
    3. Both wi-fi and bluetooth off

Successive taps on the widget cycle through these three modes.

I feel like this should be pretty simple to implement. What do you think - interested?

Advertisement
  2. kwaping

You could also do a cycle like this:

2. Both on
    3. Wi-fi on, bluetooth off
    4. Both off

That might be easier and more intuitive to use, and also more flexible.

3. lexchandra

lexchandra Member

"power control" widget is already good enough to do everything you want.. =)

4. kwaping

There are a lot of things that almost do what I'm looking for. However, for me the key is the "single-block" size. That'll leave more room for other things, while maintaining the functionality I want.

5. knaveofspades

knaveofspades New Member

Tasker in the market should be able to do what you're looking for. It's a bit expensive, but it's very powerful.

6. GTmauf

GTmauf Member

Hey, I saw this app request and wanted to start getting into development on the android platform. So I figured I would give it a shot.

I currently having it working base on your post about the 4 possible states.

2. Both on
    3. Wi-fi on, bluetooth off
    4. Both off

I need to add more images so that you can see the state on the widget as it changes. However it is done and working if you'd like to try it.

I built it on android 2.0. If this isn't ok, let me know and I will try to make it a lower SDK requirement.

kwaping likes this.
  7. kwaping

Hey GTmauf, thanks a lot! I'm a Droid X user so the 2.0 target is no issue for me. You might want to target 1.6 to get a bigger user base, but that decision is yours of course.

I'm glad I could give you inspiration and I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

8. GTmauf

GTmauf Member

No problem at all! I will look at the 1.6 definitely :).

I am using a pretty generic icon/widget drawable at the moment, but it will display different colors based on what state the bluetooth/wifi is in.

If you'd like I can attach the .apk and you can do a manual install to check it out.

Just let me know and I will post it.

kwaping likes this.
  9. GTmauf

GTmauf Member

Ok, Here it is. Let me know how it works out for you! It is a 1x1 widget. It has the default app icon for now. I will work on getting that changed.

Also, apparently in 1.6 Google had not yet released the Bluetooth API. So I don't think I can set the SDK version to that.

Attached Files:

kwaping likes this.
  10. kwaping

Thanks for the upload! I am looking forward to the finished product. Would you be interested in open-sourcing this app? I'd like to use your source code as a tutorial. :) But I understand if you don't want to release the source.

11. GTmauf

GTmauf Member

No problem! Have you tried it yet? How's it working out for you?

I will think about giving you the source. But I will have to clean it up first as I have some redundant stuff in there after methods I no longer use after finding widget's don't maintain state between intent requests.

kwaping likes this.
  12. kwaping

Thanks GT. I have to be honest, I haven't installed it yet because I just got the 2.2 update and want to get to know it before throwing new software into the mix. :)

Are you going to release this into the marketplace?

13. GTmauf

GTmauf Member

Haha, no problem. Just so you know I have 2.2 and it's running on my Droid X no problems! :)

I'm thinking of putting it in the marketplace, yes. I can let you know in a day or so if I'm going to put it there.

kwaping likes this.