• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bluetooth problem after Vlingo

Great woops! I wish I would have seen this before I installed Vlingo.
Now even though I un-installed it, I still can't get my phone to work right with my car.
This is from their support site.

"Bluetooth in-vehicle installation not working
Why doesn't Vlingo work with my Bluetooth in-vehicle installation?

Vlingo is adding hands free features with each release. Version 3.0 is the first to support a variety of Bluetooth headsets. However, Vlingo does not yet support other types of Bluetooth devices such as car-mounted installations.
To prevent Vlingo from trying to communicate with your in-car Bluetooth system, turn off Bluetooth support in Vlingo Options.
To use Vlingo with your Bluetooth headset, continue to press the side key rather than the button on the headset."

What is the "side key"? I have a Jawbone ICON, and it has only one button... and when I try to give a command to Vlingo InCar, it has horrible echo and none of my commands are recognized...

Running 2.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S

Upvote 0
Using rooted file manager, I can get to the bluetooth.apk and BrcmBluetoothServices.apk files. When I click on either one of them I get a message that asks:
"Replace Application
This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it?
All previous user data will be saved."

Question, If I say "OK" what does it replace with? Maybe replacing these two files will change things for me so I can get my BLuetooth function back again.
Any comments?

Upvote 0
Update: I just flashed the updated stock ROM (New_RUU_Supersonic_3.30.651.3_Deodexed_signed - 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage) from New_RUU_Supersonic_3.30.651.3_Odexed & Deodexed_Stock_11-15-2010 - xda-developers.
"So Far - So Good" as my bluetooth suddenly worked again. I have flashed the previous stock 3.30.651.2 ROM and nothing changed. This also comes with a updates stock kernel. So who knows, may be this update fixed the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
BTW, I forgot to wipe anything when I did this update. All good so far.

Edit later: Spoke too soon. It works better BUT I still have problems where after a phone call I have to turn the bluetooth off, then on again to make or receive phone calls.

Upvote 0
I THINK I FIXED IT !!!!!!
Wow after over 2 months of searching, learning, and trying everything I could think of (other than unrooting and going stock) I stumbled upon what seems to be a solution.

Here is what I did:
Using ASTRO file manager I opened up the "system" folder then opened the "app" folder. From there I scrolled down to the "BrcmBluetoothServices" file and long clicked it until the "File Options" appeared. Then I selected "Edit" and on the next pop-up I selected "Delete". (I was desperate and was going to delete it and reinstall from scratch).

When I selected Delete, a confirmation box appeared that said something that caught my eye like, "Are you sure you want to delete the update as this will return the file to stock?" (or something like that). WOW, when I heard delete the update I figured that Vlingo may have updated this file causing the problems. So I said yes. The update was deleted.

The BrcmBluetoothServices file remained but evidently it reverted to its original stock format. I noticed that my Evo no longer showed a pairing with my car. So I went to my car and deleted that pairing as well and then re-paired my car and phone.

Success! I have been using it for a day and so far so good. My Evo instantly connects with my car when I turn the car on, and I can make and receive phone calls normally. It has only been one day, but it looks good so far!!!

Upvote 0
Ok I need a bit of advice. I love the vlingo app and its accuracy and have been using it since 1st beta and paid for it when it was still a paid app but I'm having an issue that is really annoying. I connect to my car stereo via Bluetooth for my audio playback but do not use it for phone so I uncheck the phone bt opt for my stereo in settings. The problem is that when I am connected to bt stereo vlingo will not respond to mic input. It will just show the vlingo input area with a bt symbol and a red bar through the area. Google voice input will just pause the stereo audio, accept the voice input and then resume stereo audio after the text translation.

Upvote 0
With regards to the problem where your phone reboots after using Vlingo with Bluetooth, I found a post by someone at the Google Help website that suggested unchecking the option in advanced settings in Vlingo for "Listen over Bluetooth ".

I tried it and it seems to have stopped my phone rebooting when I disconnect Bluetooth. I can still listen a

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones