Bluetooth probs

Last Updated:

1. topbrewer

topbrewer Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I have installed the bluetooth toggle widget on to my desire only one thing that bothers me is that when its turned on, i have to still go into the bluetooth menu to make my phone discoverable. is there any way to make it discoverable all the time whilst the b.tooth is on?

Advertisement
  2. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

AFAIK its not possible.

3. billy1561

billy1561 Well-Known Member

I think if you pair it with another device then it is always available.
    For example mine is paired with my car radio and every time i enter the car my Desire notifies me and connects without me having to do anything.

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

A paired device doesn't need the other device to be discoverable. Only when pairing new devices. But as I said before there is no way to permanently have your Desire as discoverable.

5. billy1561

billy1561 Well-Known Member

I agree nacatomi. The phone only needs to be discoverable for the above operation. Thus ending the need for permanent discovery.:)

6. petlab

petlab New Member

I have been looking around at several forums, and it seems everyone is very sure that there is no reason to have bluetooth discoverable. But there are plenty of reasons.

Mostly, the reason for not leaving discoverability on these days is for security. Vendors are protecting us from people trying to crack into our phones, and that's great.

However, there are plenty of car kits and other BT accessories that have poorly written software, or are simply old, from when bluetooth used to be always discoverable. People don't want to replace a perfectly good car kit. If they did, they wouldn't be on the forums asking about constant discoverability. Sure, there are security issues, but people should be able to make their own choice here.

Some people who use KDE may want to use Kbluelock, a program which locks your screen when you leave the room, and unlocks it when you come back. This program also wants discoverability.

/rant
    :cool: