Bluetooth Range Extender, Booster or repeater?Tips

Last Updated: 2014-12-12 05:28:55
  1. SHIVA77

SHIVA77 Well-Known Member

I am looking to boost the range of the Bluetooth on my Note II.

I understand the type of Bluetooth that we have (class 2) is limited to about 30 feet, but is there a consumer device that can extend the range of Bluetooth?

Searching on this site and online didn't provide a good solution.

Thanks, S

Advertisement
  2. SHIVA77

I recently got a WiFi range extender that works like a charm. I was hoping something like that exists for Bluetooth.
  3. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Not that I am aware of, but if you do find such a specimen, report back. ;)
  4. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I've never really thought about trying to extend my bluetooth range until you started this thread today. So, I did a quick google search and found these:

I've never heard of this app store before, but it's up to you if you want to risk trying it out:
    BLUETOOTH RANGE EXTENDER - Android

All the other links that I briefly went through seem to be for PC, Mac, or non-mobile phone devices.

Project #015 - Bluetooth Dongle - Range Extender
    How to Extend Your Bluetooth Range | eHow.com

Just not sure how or if it's possible to adapt the concepts that are mentioned for non-mobile devices, to a cell phone or tablet.
  5. SHIVA77

hi, that app has expired and apparently never worked.

we are on class 2, 30 feet range Bluetooth, apps can't resolve this, but a converter to class 1 can, but haven't seen one that would work for mobile.
  6. phonedroid

phonedroid Well-Known Member

Search for bluetooth repeater
  7. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Sorry, just curious as to why you want to extend Bluetooth?
  8. SHIVA77

isn't it obvious, just to be able walk a little further from my phone when at home. although they claim 30 feet range, mine gets staticky at around 20 feet.

just did, nothing for mobile or links that are old and products that don't exist.
  9. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Try another headset...they are not all created equal.

FWIW, I have the Bose BT2 (self-proclaimed audiophile who generally dislikes Bose products, but it was a gift...and has very good noise cancellation and clarity for the other person) and I am able to leave my phone in my bedroom on the 2nd floor, back of townhouse, and still have a clear connection in the basement, at the front of my house.

In comparison, I also have the Jaybird Freedom Sprints, and they recommend having the phone/mp3 player on the same side of the body as the "right-earpiece" (with the volume controls), or the reception will suffer. Range from my phone is also markedly less than the Bose, by 6-8ft or so, depending on which earpiece is facing the phone.
  10. SHIVA77

I have my Note II on my desk at my home office, I walk into the kitchen which is about 20 feet or so away and it gets staticky. forget about waking to the front door, I'll lose signal. I use Voyager Pro +, have two and both behave the same.
    also I find the Bluetooth volume on Samsungs to be way too low, compare to my former HTC.
  11. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Fair enough...but neither of your Voyager Pro+ are the Bose, nor any other model which may perform better (e.g. Motorola S11).

If that solution is not working for you, there's always the antenna route:

[​IMG]

...or see if you can improve the OEM. I had good results with a home made CDMA antenna for my Droid 1 on Verizon:

http://www.volport.com/bluetooth-antenna-for-samsung-galaxy-note2-n7100.html

[​IMG]
  12. phonedroid

phonedroid Well-Known Member

Now that we know you want to extend the range of a cordless headset there is another option that avoids the bluetooth issues. Research cordless headsets that would normally be attached to a conventional phone and typically used in offices. The last time I researched these they were pricey but things may have changed. You might need an adapter so that the cordless headset base station can be plugged into a smart phone audio connector. You won't be the first wanting this kind of solution so there's likely to be something out there.
  13. SHIVA77

seems like a very complicated solution for just wanting to walk further away from phone without creating a special base station. it is possible that other BT headsets may work better further away. but I happen to have two Plantronics and am not planning to buy more BT headsets at this time. thanks for the feed back.
  14. YouGonaEatThat

YouGonaEatThat Well-Known Member

Based on what some very experienced and educated people are saying about the issue it seems that your options are limited. I know it can be frustrating when the answer we are looking for is not available. I hope that you can find a solution to your problem in the near future.
  15. crumpbiscuit

crumpbiscuit New Member

I had good luck with using a strong bluetooth transmitter instead of built in Bluetooth
  16. Darkmalik88

Darkmalik88 New Member

[QUyou TE="SHIVA77, post: 5724222, member: 803439"]seems like a very complicated solution for just wanting to walk further away from phone without creating a special base station. it is possible that other BT headsets may work better further away. but I happen to have two Plantronics and am not planning to buy more BT headsets at this time. thanks for the feed back.[/QUOTE]
    Or you Could get a different head set.
    I'm a truck driver I can leave my handset in my sleeper cab and still use my headset while at my 53' trailer backdoor. I have a blue parrot Xpress way. And an S4 . You also get great noise cancelation and 8h talk time and it runs about $90.