Bluetooth seems to have a mind of its own

Last Updated:

1. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I had my old AT&T Tilt2 paired up with my Ford Sync bluetooth connection in my car - which spits out phone calls over the car's speakers when it rings. The tilt2 worked great. When I got in the car and turned it on, it connected. When I left, it disconnected.

The captivate doesn't work so well. I've paired the phone, and set it as the "primary" phone in my Ford Sync menu. Other than that, I have changed no settings in sync.

The problem is, it'll connect for a few seconds/minutes, then randomly disconnect. So I go to hit the hands-free voice command button on my steering wheel to command it to call someone, and it says no phone connected. The only way I've been able to fix this is to turn bluetooth on the phone OFF, wait a minute, then turn it back on, and reconnect. Kind of defeats the whole "hands free" concept.

I have yet to try it with a headset/earpiece but I'll do that tomorrow when I am at work. Anyone else had intermittent/unexplained disconnections with BT?

Advertisement
  2. Duck Tales LOL

Duck Tales LOL Well-Known Member

Have you tried deleting the Tilt2 from Sync? It might be getting confused...

or something.

3. radi0chik

The sync can allow for multiple pairings... and I set the captivate as the "primary" one. No I haven't deleted the Tilt2 yet, but that shouldn't matter. It DOES connect to the captivate fine, just randomly disconnects. I don't think the extra paired setup is the issue.

4. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

None so far. I have it syncing with my Mazda 3's Bluetooth. So far it has worked every time, at least to stream Pandora. This is one of the first phones to use a 3.0 Bluetooth chip, so there might be some incompatibility on the phone side or Sync side. Have you looked to see if there is an update to the Ford Sync system?

5. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

Probably because the phone has the latest BT 3.0

6. Duck Tales LOL

Duck Tales LOL Well-Known Member

True, but you never know. Like the above guys stated, could be 3.0.

Ford's site says this "While you can't upgrade a car that has the first or second version of Sync to get Sync 3 services, Ford says future services will be downloadable upgrades--although Ford's wording doesn't say that every future feature of Sync would work on Sync 3 hardware."

7. radi0chik

Hmmm. Not sure if the sync is ver 1 2 or 3. I would think the phone should be backwards compatible though, no? Sounds like its just something specific to me though, so I'll look and see what I can find.

8. Galroc

Galroc Active Member

Hi, I have the same problem with my Samsung Captivate after using an iPhone with Ford Sync that worked perfectly.

What appears to be happening is that once the phone is paired to the car, the car tries to download the contacts. The phone then asks you permission for the car to download the contacts. If you don't accept this request right away, the Ford Sync drops the pairing.

9. radi0chik

Hmm I thought I had authorized it to download the contacts but I'll check and see if maybe that's what it's hanging up on. Thanks for the input!