• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth tether an Android phone and Android tablet

I have a Samsung charge through Verizon wireless. I would like to tether to my iconia a500. I tried the above and thought it was going to work until I clicked on the wrech. It doesn't have the tether option. It only has rename and unpair. I could not connect no matter what. Any ideas?

I also have the same issue. I tried bluetooth tethering (following the XOOM instructions above). I have a verizon motorola droid3 and an ASER ICONIA A100. On my tablet, when I click on the wrench, the only option I get is to unpair, but there is no tethering option.

ANY IDEAS??

Upvote 0
OK, so I tried the instructions below with a DROID 3 phone and SAMSUNG GALAXY 8.9 tablet. I get the bluetooth connection between the devices, but the tablet still does not have internet access.

step#1 below says: "on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want"

On the SAMSUNG tablet, there is no settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot option even available. So does this mean this tablet will not qualify?

This is copied as it is from AndroidCentral Forum. It was posted there by user Newton1221.

This is a HOW-TO guide that details how to bluetooth tether your Android phone's internet to your Motorola XOOM without using any applications or rooting your phone. If done properly you should have your Android phone and XOOM connected via bluetooth and the XOOM should be using your Android phone's internet.

Please post if it works for you, and also say what phone you are using.

Devices confirmed to work:
Droid 2 (Regular, R2D2, and Global)
Droid X
Droid Pro

This has been confirmed working on a few different devices now, it allows you to share your phone's internet with your XOOM without rooting your phone or needing any extra applications

1: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want

2: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable airplane mode

3: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable bluetooth

4: on your android phone, go to settings>wireless & networks (or equivalent)> enable bluetooth

5: Make sure that both devices are discoverable, so that they can see one another, should be in settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings

6: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings>select your phone in order to pair it with your XOOM

7: a box should pop up on both devices, select Pair on both devices

8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled

10: TA-DA, if it worked then in the bottom right hand corner of your XOOM should have two bluetooth icons, one should indicated that your bluetooth is turned on and the other should say bluetooth tethered, you are now using your phones internet data plan on your XOOM, aka not counting towards your xoom's data plan

Upvote 0
I tried this with my xoom tablet and my motorola photon 4g. It works!!! Yes. I am not longer tied to having to use wifi. sweet!

My xoom is running android 4.0.3 and my photon is android 2.3.4. My photon 4g is not rooted.

Try this, it worked for me with the Asus Slider and a Droid 3.....

This is copied as it is from AndroidCentral Forum. It was posted there by user Newton1221.

This is a HOW-TO guide that details how to bluetooth tether your Android phone's internet to your Motorola XOOM without using any applications or rooting your phone. If done properly you should have your Android phone and XOOM connected via bluetooth and the XOOM should be using your Android phone's internet.

Please post if it works for you, and also say what phone you are using.

Devices confirmed to work:
Droid 2 (Regular, R2D2, and Global)
Droid X
Droid Pro
Motorola Photon 4g unrooted with xoom

This has been confirmed working on a few different devices now, it allows you to share your phone's internet with your XOOM without rooting your phone or needing any extra applications

1: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want

2: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable airplane mode

3: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable bluetooth

4: on your android phone, go to settings>wireless & networks (or equivalent)> enable bluetooth

5: Make sure that both devices are discoverable, so that they can see one another, should be in settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings

6: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings>select your phone in order to pair it with your XOOM

7: a box should pop up on both devices, select Pair on both devices

8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled

10: TA-DA, if it worked then in the bottom right hand corner of your XOOM should have two bluetooth icons, one should indicated that your bluetooth is turned on and the other should say bluetooth tethered, you are now using your phones internet data plan on your XOOM, aka not counting towards your xoom's data plan

Upvote 0
"8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled"

When HTC EVO is connected via BT to Acer A500...I get to THIS part....but when I click on the 'wrench' there is no option for 'tethering'...just to 'Unpair'.

When HTC EVO is connected via BT to Asus Transformer Prime...the tablet pairs with the phone....it doesn't say "connected but not paired" and when you click the setting..it again, doesn't have the 'tether' option..just 'unpair'.

The HTC EVO does have an option to turn on "FTP" but that doesn't seem to do anything either...any help???

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
I was not able to get this working. I'm using an Evo 4G on Sprint running Gingerbread 2.3.5., and an Asus Transformer TF101 running ICS 4.0.3. Both devices indicate that they're paired, and on the Evo, a screen pops up asking for permission to allow the Asus to connect, but after allowing, it never connects. One of the other posters in this thread mentioned that Sprint had disabled this type of functionality. So, either that is true, or I can't follow these simple instructions properly (g).

I also tried the FoxFi and PDA Net Tablet combo, but this failed also based on the following help file entry from FoxFi:

*the Asus Transformer/Prime version of ICS firmware is missing the "tun.ko" component which is required for our Bluetooth Internet solution to work properly. So this particular tablet is not supported UNLESS you root the system and install "tun.ko" manually (google for details).

Upvote 0
I was not able to get this working. I'm using an Evo 4G on Sprint running Gingerbread 2.3.5., and an Asus Transformer TF101 running ICS 4.0.3. Both devices indicate that they're paired, and on the Evo, a screen pops up asking for permission to allow the Asus to connect, but after allowing, it never connects. One of the other posters in this thread mentioned that Sprint had disabled this type of functionality. So, either that is true, or I can't follow these simple instructions properly (g).

I also tried the FoxFi and PDA Net Tablet combo, but this failed also based on the following help file entry from FoxFi:

*the Asus Transformer/Prime version of ICS firmware is missing the "tun.ko" component which is required for our Bluetooth Internet solution to work properly. So this particular tablet is not supported UNLESS you root the system and install "tun.ko" manually (google for details).

ICS is a tough one you will have to do a Wi-Fi tether because even though it has a bluetooth tether option it was not FULLY implemented so you need a helper app to proxy the data to and from the bluetooth connection and it only works with like Firefox browser [with an added extension needed].

Best option: JELLYBEAN! Once I updated both phone and tablet to JB [phone in a Tmo S2 technically still no JB from them, but fully stable JB still available so look at custom ROM if needed my tab is a Nexus 7 so yeah it has JB. I use ParanooidAndroid on both devices.

In JB it is super easy go to settings and more and tethering and tap to check bluetooth tether [this turns off at every boot so re-enable after every restart or your other device fails to connect until it is enabled again]/

On phone enable bluetooth tether as above
Open settings>Bluetooth
Tap to make discoverable

On Tablet open and turn on bluetooth
now tap search devices [in upper right corner of screen]
once it finds the phone tap to pair

On Phone:
Accept the pair request

NOW once they are paired everytime you need tether
Open setings>More>Bluetooth tether>Tap to enable bluetooth tether [it gets turned off after EVERY system boot [some apps help turn this back on auto but some cause issues so I do it manuallyt]

Anyways on tablet once the bluetooth has been turned on on the phone and tabllet... click the icon to the left of the phone entry in bluetooth list. This will bring up a second screen with a listing that says use this devices connection to get on the internet [or VERY close] tap that specifically so a check appears and you will see a connecting... prompt. Once done you can now use data on your tablet

ONLY NOTE: VERY FEW APPS are porly coded to check specifically for a WiFi or Cell Dta connection and if non-found to throw an error. MOST Android apps [I LOVE NETFLIX TABLET VIEW THIS WAY WHEN ON THE ROAD FOR INSTANCE] Will not care and function as they always have/

Your tablet may still say not connected [where it usually says the name of currently connected WiFi network]. This is actually LYING try using a browser to get to google to truly verify this

ALSO: it may take a few seconds after you tap the connect on tablet and truly have full data access be patient

LAST: if your data drops in and out and you have to restart the phone to get it back, you may need to check your screen off CPU Max setting and increase it, if the CPU is not moving fast enough bluetooth connection will most likely malfunction until device is restarted.

Upvote 0
Just tried this on my Sprint Galaxy S4 and my Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch tablet. They are paired and will connect, but won't access the internet. Mobile data enabled on the phone but its not passing the internet connection to the tab. I would really like for that to work so I can use my tablet with Radar Scope during storm chase season without using my data on the tablet, or having to root the S4 to tether it via Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones