Bluetooth TetherSupport

Last Updated:

1. t4bz

t4bz Member This Topic's Starter

So today I try to hook up my new Droid X via USB cable to my laptop to connect to PDAnet. For some reason, it is not recognizing the Droid X. I enable USB Debugging, start, restart the phone, restart the computer, no luck. I had previously tried PDAnet at home and it worked just fine.

Because it isn't recognizing the phone through USB, I figure I'll try a Bluetooth connection. I'm running Windows 7, and I make the connection via Bluetooth between my laptop and the phone. I see a box on the Windows 7 panel that pops up on my laptop that says "Connect to the Internet through phone" (or something close to that). I click on it, and it starts a new internet connection, via Bluetooth, through the Droid X, without PDAnet. PDAnet shows to be disconnected still. Maybe it is using PDAnet's drivers, though, I don't know, but it sure looks like it is not relying upon PDAnet to make the connection.

It is quite fast, as well...more than quick enough for me.

Anyone else do this? I can't think of any problems doing it this way?

I have to say that the Windows 7 interface with the Droid X makes it easy to transfer music, photos, etc. as well.

Advertisement
  2. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

3. t4bz

t4bz Member This Topic's Starter

4. magpiemini

magpiemini Member

I set up my Dell netbook (Win 7 Starter) yesterday and tried the basic bluetooth tethering. I am using a Droid X. It connected just fine but sent me to the "un-named carrier" page explaining the $20 a month service setup and charges.

I then downloaded PDAnet and first used the USB cable and connected via the PDAnet icon on Windows, works great, no "un-named carrier" webpage. Fast and charges the phone at the same time.

I then removed the USB cable and enabled the Bluetooth DUN option in PDAnet, connected via the Windows bluetooth device (DroidX) access point (instead of the PDAnet Windows icon) and again worked fine with out the "un-named carrier" webpage.

Maybe just my imagination but the USB tether seems faster than the bluetooth.

I am a happy camper. :D