Bluetooth to pc?

Last Updated:

1. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I see usb bluetooth adapters for sale and I am wondering what exactly a bluetooth to pc connection will do? Will I be able to transfer files between my computer and phone? What else will I be able to do?

Advertisement
  2. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

It depends. Both Bluetooth stacks have to support the same profile - so if you want to do File transfer, both phone and pc need to support it. Listen to Stereo music, both need to do to A2DP. Transfer phonebook, transfer one contact at a time, show SMS or do hand free..... all these functions are possible if both sides support it.

Search wikipedia for more details.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I use a Bluetooth adapter with my PC and Captivate to shuttle files back and forth when I don't feel like bothering to hook up the USB cable (or I don't have it handy... really should order some more).

It's rather convenient, if not as fast as USB.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

not as fast is an understatement. Bluetooth file transfer is SLOW. Not as slow as the old infra red though...

5. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answer I was looking for as I am sure wikipedia does not have a wiki on pc to samsung captivate...

Thanks again.

6. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member

I thought that bluetooth 3.0 was supposed to have a support for a type of wifi BT, Like 802.11, making it extermely fast and not use nearly as much battery. Is that something that is still in the making?