BlueTooth Voice Dialling - HTC Magic+ 2.1

1. HabsRule93

HabsRule93 Member

So, still no resolution regarding voice dialling. Contacted HTC, and this is their response:

Basically, Rogers didn't exactly lie when they said we were getting a 'voice dialler'. The bundled app 'Cyberon Voice Commander' will indeed dial using your voice. But... you have to manually launch the app (long press on call button or screen shortcut, etc). You can confirm the selection by voice (yes/no), but if it gets it wrong and you say 'no', then it closes and you have to manually launch it all over again!

Spoke to the local constabulary, and they confirmed that using the phone this way while driving is definitely illegal (and pretty unsafe - especially when the app repeatedly fails to understand what you are saying).

Not sure why Rogers/HTC/Google don't seem to think this is enough of an issue to do something about it. My old dumb phones had better BT functionality years ago. It would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

I have searched the market and the web for an Android app that delivers true BT dialling, as HTC so unhelpfully recommended, but no dice so far. Anyone know of one that actually works? At this point I would gladly shell out a few bucks for an app that works.

Advertisement
  2. ace862

ace862 Active Member

Unfortunately right at the moment, bluetooth dialing is only available on 2.2. If you really want it, your only option is to root and put a 2.2 custom rom on your phone. I have real bluetooth dialing on both my Dream and my Magic running CyanogenMod CM6.0. It works very well.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this was a Rogers or an HTC issue but an Android issue. I don't know why they didn't have it from the beginning? These days it is a basic function that most dumb phones can do.
  3. Maxxy

Maxxy Well-Known Member

This is definitely an Android limitation and not HTC or Rogers fault (for a change :rolleyes:). Bluetooth dialing is available only in 2.2. This is one of the main reasons why I rooted my Magic and upgraded from 1.5 to 2.2.
    I actually tried Rogers 2.1 when it was out but quickly realized how critical bluetooth dialing is for me and went back to 2.2.
  4. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

Also remember that BT is a license encumbered technology that has to be reversed engineered for Android where every other OS just pays the BT tax. That is my theory plus the fact that BT has always sucked in general.

So if you really want it to work better you want 2.2.
  5. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

I've been arguing about this with RogersMary for some time.

To be clear for those saying BT dialing is only available in 2.2, previous to the E911 update that brought Sense UI those of us with the HTC Magic WERE able to start the voice-dialer by pressing the button on the BT headset. This is how I did it while driving, and the reason I was so mad when the E911 update came out and that functionality was missing. (I can dig up the threads if anyone cares).

Based on what I've read around the intertubes, apparently the ability to start the Voice-Dialer from the BT headset button was fairly unique to the Rogers build of the 1.5 ROM. So, my guess would be that when they discovered the 911 bug they had to get something out ASAP, and took an existing fixed 1.5 ROM from somewhere (without the BT dialing) and made the Rogers modifications to that. I cannot confirm that however.

Mary is on vacation until later this week, and I was only able to confirm with her shortly before she left that the BT dialing was STILL missing in the 2.1 ROM, so when she gets back I'll ask her about it again.

If there is anyone out there who still has a PRE-911 Rogers HTC Magic with the stock ROM on it, you will see that you CAN start the Voice Dialer app by pressing the button on a BT headset (I was using a Motorola headset).

For now, I am using one-touch dialing icons on my home screen with NO other icons on that screen, that way I can safely press just one button on the screen (which is held in a cradle attached to the dash) to initiate a call. I also use the app "Carmode". Run Carmode when you get in the car and all calls automatically go to the Speakerphone, this way you don't even have to bother with a BT headset.

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]Car Mode
    by Andrew Schwimmer
    50,000 downloads, 2340 ratings (4.5 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]
  6. ace862

ace862 Active Member

Yes but the BT Dialer that is now on 2.2 is a true BT dialer. Now when I push the button on my headset I get a voice through the headset that asks me to "Speak now". I'll then say "call Joe at work". The voice repeats the command back and then dials. The old activation of the Voice Dialer required you to touch the screen to confirm the dialing. I found too that the using the speakerphone to dial was often unreliable. Especially when the phone is a short distance away from you, i.e. the dash, and there was background noise present.
    I much prefer the 2.2 version for BT dialing. It's still not without it's quirks at times but more often than not it works much better. Just my opinion.
    Cheers! B)
  7. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

@ace862: yes, but before the 911 update I was using TopVoiceControl (from the market) instead of the native voice dialer. TVC has voice confirmation so you don't have to touch the screen. Sadly, I can't use it now in the same way since I can no longer initialize the BT button.

Mary is not back until tomorrow or Monday I think. I will email her again to ask about this.