• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth voice dialling?

badboybubby

Aug 12, 2010
Hi

Wondered if you can help me?

I've read somewhere that the HTC Desire doesn't do Bluetooth voice dialling in the UK. In that if I press a button on my handsfree car kit (Super Tooth Buddy) it allows me to say "Dial Mary" for example.

My question is simple, is there anyway to get this working on my Orange UK HTC Desire phone without rooting? Or is there another option that means I don't have to press a button on my phone (nearly crashed doing this!) I've seen the Vlingo appz and similar on the market and they dont work without a key press.

Thanks in advance...

bbb:)

I havent configured it to do anything...i guess the car kit does all the work....I just connect it via bluetooth, then when I want to call someone I click a button on the attached to the wheel and say the name of who I want to call. Id recomment the kit to anyone, I can also plug in a USB memory stick and/or mp3player and play music. no more cds!

Upvote 0
I have an unrooted Desire on Orange contract and use Vlingo in combination with a Motorola bluetooth earpiece. To dial I simply click the button on the earpiece and say 'Call xxxxx'. I have not had to change any settings other than to pair the bluetooth device.

I would certainly recommend giving Vlingo a go as it does a whole a bunch of other things really well including Voice search, text and email. Indeed I now write all my texts and emails by voice.

It also offers a feature in the 'InCar' option for you to make a call without pressing any button. You simply say 'Hey Vlingo' and it wakes up Vlingo and allows you to give a voice command. I have not tried this feature because it does drain the battery and clicking the button on the headset is hardly hard work!!! :)

Upvote 0
I have an unrooted Desire on Orange contract and use Vlingo in combination with a Motorola bluetooth earpiece. To dial I simply click the button on the earpiece and say 'Call xxxxx'. I have not had to change any settings other than to pair the bluetooth device.

I would certainly recommend giving Vlingo a go as it does a whole a bunch of other things really well including Voice search, text and email. Indeed I now write all my texts and emails by voice.

It also offers a feature in the 'InCar' option for you to make a call without pressing any button. You simply say 'Hey Vlingo' and it wakes up Vlingo and allows you to give a voice command. I have not tried this feature because it does drain the battery and clicking the button on the headset is hardly hard work!!! :)

I'm using a Supertooth unit in my car. I d/l Vlingo but it was just another version of VoiceSearch which I already have. If I want to 'voicedial', all I seem to be able to do is start Voicesearch (or Vlingo) and say "Dial - Home" and it comes up with a choice to dial the number. But all of this involves touching the phone screen a few times.

I can't see how you are getting the Desire to voicedial by hitting the button on your Bluetooth device. I also have a button on my device that allows me to voicedial and it worked on my previous SE phone, but I can't see how to get it to work on this one.

Upvote 0
I'm using a Supertooth unit in my car. I d/l Vlingo but it was just another version of VoiceSearch which I already have. If I want to 'voicedial', all I seem to be able to do is start Voicesearch (or Vlingo) and say "Dial - Home" and it comes up with a choice to dial the number. But all of this involves touching the phone screen a few times.

I can't see how you are getting the Desire to voicedial by hitting the button on your Bluetooth device. I also have a button on my device that allows me to voicedial and it worked on my previous SE phone, but I can't see how to get it to work on this one.

Same here....

To be clear, I can dial the last number by hitting the little green button my supertooth and it will automatically dial it but there is no option to hit the same button which invokes a voice recognition command.

Upvote 0
Choice dialler from the market,gives handsfree dialling with bt headset,one press on headset and just say call whoever.

I have now installed that. Can you tell me the best way to configure it as it still doesn't seem to work for me. I assume you fire up the app first or does pressing the the button on the BT unit automatically start the app?

EDIT - Got it to work! Now if only I could get it to recognize half of what I say!

Upvote 0
bluetooth voicecalls glitch since 19.01.11 update. Hi folks, my car bluetooth paired with my HTC desire on day 1 and worked fine for receiving and making voicecalls, streaming music for past 4 months. As soon as i sat in car the phone would pair up automatically with my car. However, when i updated the phone on 19.01.11 - voicecalls won't work anymore to make or receive calls. The phone will pair up as usual and allows music streaming but i cannot receive or make calls through the bluetooth. I wish I hadn't carried out the suggested update on the phone as everyhting worked fine before the b@@T@RD update. Is anyone else aware of this problem, any solutions found by anyone?

Upvote 0
Hello,

Just to confirm for those interested, I managed to get VLINGO working afterall with my Orange Desire on 2.2.

Basically, its set up so when I press the little green button on my SUPERTOOTH BUDDY headset it invokes the voice dialley menu (even when the program is closed) so I say "Call, Mary" and it calls Mary. The voice recognition is a little hit and miss but I think that it has a confidence system built into it and after a few goes it works better.

I'm happy now, I can drive and call without touching any buttons on my desire.

Upvote 0
bluetooth voicecalls glitch since 19.01.11 update. Hi folks, my car bluetooth paired with my HTC desire on day 1 and worked fine for receiving and making voicecalls, streaming music for past 4 months. As soon as i sat in car the phone would pair up automatically with my car. However, when i updated the phone on 19.01.11 - voicecalls won't work anymore to make or receive calls. The phone will pair up as usual and allows music streaming but i cannot receive or make calls through the bluetooth. I wish I hadn't carried out the suggested update on the phone as everyhting worked fine before the b@@T@RD update. Is anyone else aware of this problem, any solutions found by anyone?

Hi again, can anyone please help or advise what i can do other than bin the phone as it's useless to me in this state. The only reason i chose the HTC Desire over Iphone was because it allowed generic bluetooth voicecalls, file, music and pics transfer & the iphone doesn't. Since the 19.01.11 update the handset doesn't allow me to receive or make voice calls over bluetooth. However, it still instantly connects to my bluetooth when i'm in the car and allows music streaming, satnav voice, games sounds through car speakers. To avoid doubt I have tested two other phones (nokia & sony erricson) in the car and they work fine with voicecalls via bluetooth so it's not my car bluetooth device that's at fault. The Desire worked perfectly for the past 4 months until this 19.01.11 update. The other noticeable change since the update is calls keep hanging, texts and emails don't send instantly and have to be resent 2-3 times before they go. Also the internet/youtube apps have to be run 2-3 times before they connect, sometimes I have to restart the phone for them to work. The irony is everything worked fine before this update and i was very happy and proud of my phone, so much so I showed off to all my friends that it did everything the iphone does but also can do bluetooth voicecalls, stream music and play games with surround sound, share pics/videos etc Now it's embarassing to say oh it doesn't work anymore... My working day is extended by 1-2 hours, given i could make essential calls via bluetooth while travelling on the road, now i have to make these calls back at the office or from home!! I honestly feel like smashing it against the wall as it's so frustrating!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones