Blurr?

Last Updated:

1. zandroidx

zandroidx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Everyone seems to be negative on Blurr. I've had my phone since release day, and still couldn't tell you which part of my phone is Blurr. Other than the preinstalled apps/bloatware, which I do not use (and would love to remove), I have no idea what the complaints about Blurr are. What would be different about my phone if the bloatware was still there, but Blurr wasn't? I can only assume that the Motorola Widgets are part of Blurr, but if you don't add them to your desktop, then why is everyone so negative on Blurr? Which part is Blurr?

Advertisement
  2. protocollie

protocollie Active Member

All the resizable icons on your homescreen are blur, as are your unified networking inbox (that twitter/facebook/email/sms ***********.) A lot of other things have been rewritten for blur as well - for example, your dialer contains elements of it, your contacts window is different from stock android, the three buttons along the bottom of the home screen are put there by blur (and the weird 7 home screen configuration, as well.) Also, the recolouring of your interface elements and car dock interface also appear to be blur-specific.

Anything that causes the X to deviate from the stock android experience is most likely blur, compare the UI on the Droid X to a moto droid running 2.1 stock and you'll basically be able to pick out the parts pretty easily.

Honestly, I threw launcherpro on it and just choose not to use most of the Blur UI elements. The ones that do work their way into the parts of the phone I actually use I like a -lot.- Haven't seen a performance drain/unreliability issue caused by it, so I assume people are just whining for the sake of it like they always do. There are a couple minor blur-related annoyances I've run across but overall, I've actually found the little additions it makes to the UI quite nice.

3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The Motorola widgets are part of Blur, as is the home launcher and some of the features like the social network integration.

If you like them, don't worry about it. It's more an issue that the components of Blur can't be easily removed from the phone if people don't like them. If it just came with the phone but could be removed easily, nobody would be complaining about it.

4. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

A large part of blur is the social networking system, which I strongly dislike. Other than that, I just use launcher pro to replace the home screen in an attempt to hide blur-- its kinda ugly.

5. zandroidx

Thanks. Speaking of the recolouring, I am partially colorblind, so many of the buttons on the phone are EXTREMELY difficult to read. All I see sometimes is just a big red (?) rectangle that has unreadable text in the middle (text that I barely know is there). Anyone know if the Froyo leak fixes that? It's very unfair to me :/

6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The FroYo leak looks basically the same... so no, it probably won't fix it.

There should be text under each icon, though, that labels the icon, right? Can't you read that?

If there are buttons or icons that you can't read, you will probably have to resort to customizing your phone to get around it - custom themes, or one of the many applications that let you create custom shortcuts.

7. zandroidx

The buttons I am thinking of have the text in the middle. And a specific (non button) example I can give is the stars to make a contact a favorite. I need to ask someone else if the star is lit. Ticks me off.

8. zandroidx

An example of a burton I have trouble with is if you go in to maps, click the menu button then click "directions". To see the word "go" I have to look at the phone from an angle. In a bight environment an angle doesn't help.