Blurry pictures with Droid Camers

Last Updated:

1. dkees

dkees Member This Topic's Starter

No matter what I do with the settings in my new Droid phone camera all of the pictures are blurry. Before responding please note I did wipe the lens, and yes I tried all of the "focus" options. Any suggestions

Advertisement
  2. finnaginagain

finnaginagain Well-Known Member

ive taken pics from like 30ft away and come out clear as crystal maybe hardware or software problem.

3. dkees

One more thing, no there is no protective film over the lens

4. dkees

Doesn't seem to matter at what distance the camera is used. Funny that the first time I used the camera the picture or two were in focus then after that all of the sudden nothing is.

5. matty1124

matty1124 Member

have you dl'ed a second camera app and see if it works better? try FxCamera its got some neat filters and effects but also a regular camera mode that works alittle better then the stock... that being said my stock camera is working fine after the first camera update... i would try a second camera app to make sure its not a smudge on the inner lens or something else... if its still not working i would contact verizon and get a replacement

6. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I'm using a 2.1 rom. I think on 2.01, I used to have to hold the camera button down half way, let it focus, then push down the rest of the way. I often got blurry pictures...I can't remember when, I think it's when I switched to a 2.1 rom, but I'm not sure...Anyway, now I just press the camera button, it focuses, and takes the picture...Just one click of the button (and they are clear). OP, are you on 2.1 yet?

7. dkees

Ive just downloaded 2.1 and will install thanks for the heads-up!

8. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

i took this pic yesterday, clear

[​IMG]

this is really clear

9. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

wow... what settings u use and which camera.. my pictures look nothign like that.. nothing!

10. dkees

whew!! Nice clarity I can only hope!!

11. bwsmith

bwsmith Well-Known Member

Wow. I am on 2.1 and my photos SUCK. This is the worst camera on a phone I have had in years. Here are a couple shots before and after the update (sorry for the gun photos)

Before 2.1
    [​IMG]

After 2.1
    [​IMG]

I have got MAYBE 3 good shots since I got the phone.

12. dkees

I just discovered something.. The damn camera focus is stuck in macro!! the only thing it focuses on is something within 2" of the lens!! Crap!

13. dkees

2.1 did nothing for this problem

14. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

This is only somewhat related, but does anyone know of any good programs for removing color grain? Something that works on the phone would be perfect but something on the computer would be fine too. Nothing too complex like Photoshop or anything though.

The Droid seems to have a big problem with color grain, especially in low light

15. gimmeanathlon

gimmeanathlon Well-Known Member

Mine are crystal clear as well. I use it for work all the time.
    Tons better than the iPhone camera I used last year.

16. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

I get pretty good quality too. I will post a pic tomorrow.

17. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I get great quality pics in good light (sunlight is best). The pics are kind of grainy in lower light situations...

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

HAHA... A Marlin 336 with NV scope... I guess it would be good for hunting hogs at night. I think I'd use my SKS for that, just because it's a beater. I have a friend that threaded the barrel on one of his lever action .30-30s so he can put one of his suppressors on it. Sheeple friendly, and not too loud, either.

19. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

it has to be good light, i don't use dif settings etc. just take em :)

20. kcx

kcx Member

The Droid lens is bad. The brighter the light, the better the depth of field and the flaws are hidden. Take it indoors and it's a toy. My 8 year old 3 megapixel camera takes much better pictures, but then it doesn't browse the internet.

21. juicy36

juicy36 New Member

My camera takes blurry pictures...how do I fix it. Even viewing what I want to take a picture of its blurry

22. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Worst camera evah on my Droid.

23. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

While the Droid lens is not ideal, I believe the problem lies in the intrpolation software that Motorola is using. The CCD used most likely has a 3.2 MP count and the images are upscaled to 5 MP.
    In theory, images interpolated over that span of pixel count would not be as good as images interpolated say from 7.2 MP to 10 MP. But interpolation software varies hugely. The biggest factor is the processors ability to run it.
    I think that rather light interpolation software was used so as not to tax the processor so the phone wouldn't freeze every time it took a picture. But the compromise was too far on the safe side, and what we get are marginally acceptable photos for a 3.2 MP camera, and basically downright disappointing shots for a 5 MP camera.

dkees likes this.
  24. dkees

I finally returned my 3 week old droid and new one was sent. The camera in the new one is much better than the first but not near perfectly focused photos....sad really.
    Thanks to all who responded to my original post!!

25. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I know this sounds simple but it worked for me. I was also having problems with pictures being blurry and out of focus. I read on another post here months ago about cleaning the lens. I had never really thought about it until I realized when holding the phone in my left hand my index finger often touched the lens. I cleaned it and immediately began to have great pictures again. Simple but worth a try.