1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Boggle, Scrabble, etc...

Last Updated:

1. onthefence

onthefence Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just a suggestion, might take a lot of space on the internal memory, since you need some language databases, but if they could be stored on the memory card, then it would work.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Chess, checkers...yet. some of these seem so easy to program, maybe not popular enough...

Advertisement
  2. dbenchimol

dbenchimol New Member

You make a good point about the language DB space requirements that could go on the SD card, but I just read an article regarding the fact that Android apps are mostly Java VM, and with bare minimum internet connectivity, there is an app from www.isc.ro, called WordBiz, which is all Java. I wonder how long it takes before the community tells Hasbro to go suck an egg, and releases a scrabble app.

3. Zinzi

Zinzi Well-Known Member

I'd love a scrabble app but I'd want the choice to be able to play either VS the computer or VS a friend with the G1. I'd like different difficulty settings for against the computer too.

4. acrosser

acrosser New Member

I've developed a version of Scrabble called "Scrobble" for Windows Mobile and I'm working on porting it over to Android. I'm going to change the name and the layout of the board/tiles though, so it won't be an exact copy of Scrabble.

I'm hoping to have it done by the end of April 2009. It took me about one month to write Scrobble, and I'm newer to Android development, so I'm guessing it will take me a little under two months (it won't just be a straight port because I'll need to change some aspects of it, and completely rewrite several portions of the code).

And as for the dictionary taking up space, the special format for dictionaries that I use in Scrobble takes up a maximum of about 1.5MB of space (no matter what language you choose).

5. fullerlee

fullerlee New Member

Hi,

Have you made any progress on this?

I wrote a version of Scrabble for the PSP (File Details-Wordingo-v0.6-PSP-Homebrew-Games - ) so may be able to provide some input if required.

Are you using a DAWG as your dictionary? Much more compact and quicker to search than an ASCII word list.

Lee

6. Hoople

Hoople Member

an official Scrabble app is now available from EA. It's not on the market but you can download it at eamobile.com from the browser. It's actually really well done; much better than EA's inital Android offerings. It's also 50% off right now so it's a steal at $4.99. I'd give it 4 stars. The only additional features it needs is integration with Facebook Scrabble or multi-device multiplayer.

7. mikebeecham

mikebeecham Well-Known Member

would you have a link for that...I cant find it online anywhere for Android??

8. tutonutz

tutonutz New Member

YES please a link would be very helpful I cant seem to find anything, I cant even view eamobile.com from my g1

9. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Going to EA and found no games for G1 ...
    only HTC phones that have any games on EA are
    HTC s620
    HTC Juno

10. tutonutz

tutonutz New Member

can anybody help... I really want scrabble on my phone

11. ned23

ned23 Well-Known Member

+1

(and I PAY for software)

12. ned23

ned23 Well-Known Member

I've got an older version of a scrabble knock-off that runs on Palm Phones and has an 80,000 word dictionary. So, the memory requirements are not that daunting.

Making a shell that runs Palm apps would really explode the software library for android.

The people who own Scrabble are stupid. The longer they refuse to release a legit app, the more likely people will just pirate one. These intellectual content companies NEVER learn from history.

13. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

There's a version of Scrabble called "Words" or something for the iPhone/Touch that lets you play multiple games over the net with other users. Why can't we get something like that? It can't be that hard.

14. ampersand

ampersand Member

Scrabble would be cool, but Boggle would be AWESOME! It'd be hard to convince me to put my phone away (as if it isn't hard enough already).

15. flammenwurfer

flammenwurfer Well-Known Member

Search for Wixel or WordUp in the market. Two very good Boggle clones. I prefer Wixel because it gives you a button to rotate the board.

16. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

+1 on Wixel. Both the wife and I like it better then Word-Up.

17. MasterBot

MasterBot New Member

Check BrainGoal on the market.
    It's a simple but fun concept - for one who likes logic games (me... :))

I wonder if anyone has tried the Pro version?

18. ned23

ned23 Well-Known Member

I would add "Upwords" to the mix. My second favorite word game after scrabble.

19. tutonutz

tutonutz New Member

FINALLY!!!! scrabble is out by eamobile but im not paying $10 after waiting forever...off to look for the apk :0)

20. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

I hope this comes out soon!

21. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

+2 for wixel. I play with my girl a ton and we love it. you can now choose a US only dictionary. The next thing the developer said he is going to do is improve online game management (clearing old games, sorting online games, etc)

I believe the scrabble for iphone is called 'words with friends' and i really want a scrabble for android.

22. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

As others have said Scrabble is available for Android. It's from EA, but I'm not sure how to get it through them. Just poke around the internet, I'm sure you can find it, for pay and/or for free.

23. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

I WOULD HAVE PAID if I could have found a legit source for it. Why EA have not made it available (in the UK anyway) is anyone's guess. It does exist and it's gorgeous. Google for it and you will find it - I got my copy from Rapidshare.

I played Scrobble on WinMo and this would deserve to do well on Android. However Scrobble did need a stylus to be played as it does not zoom the board in the way that the elusive official EA version does.

24. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

To buy Android games from EA, go to eamobile.com with your phone. Why they don't release their games on the Android market is crazy.

25. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Just checked both US and UK sites. No Android anything - never mind scrabble! :mad:

Why develop such a great game then not make it available? :rolleyes: