• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps book to learn?

I want to start making my own apps as I'm using a developer I met on here who agreed to make my first one for android, can anyone recommend a book to use, I'v had them recommended before but they were for either iOS or android...As I don't want to learn both native codes I need a book that would teach one code for both such as some sort of cross platform, keep in mind I currently have NO knowledge of coding except scratch and a very small amount of HTML (very basic) -My main aim is to make a very simple game

Thanks
Mark

You don't become a developer by learning a device, you become a developer by learning programming. Then you learn whatever programming languages you need (Java, in this case), then you learn the environment for which you'll be developing code - Android.

You become a hacker (in the current "just hacking around" sense) if you learn "Android app development" - which is why, out of probably a couple of million Android apps, there are only a thousand or so good ones. Those are the ones written by people who know programming, the rest are hacked together by people who think they know how to develop Android apps - but don't.

Start with Algorithms and Data Structures if you want to learn programming. It's the best programming course ever written (and will continue to be no matter what languages are written in the future because it doesn't teach a programming language, it teaches programming). It was the only book I used in every single programming course I ever taught, regardless of level or language - if you can't get through that book, you're probably right-brained and would make a great artist, but you'll never become a great programmer.

And don't expect to become a developer in a weekend or a month. I've been writing code for over 40 years, and I'm still learning new techniques and ways of doing things. When I've learned everything I'll ever know about programming, they'll be nailing a pine box around me. Programming is a constant and continual learning process.

Upvote 0
Ill start to print this off and read, I was hoping to learn all the coding and use it for the "app development", I was just hoping for a code that can be converted so I can make basic games and make it easier by not learning 2 separate languages but I guess code cant be carried over on some parts so Ill start on android :p

I knew it would take more then a week but I would hope in a month I could make art/background/ maybe if I learn allot a interactive button

Thanks for the advice
-Mark :)

Upvote 0
Technically, once you understand programming as a whole. The process for learning other programming languages is much easier.

And if your feeling daring, you can mess around on the side to try and get a background with a clickable button to work.

For example, for me, I kinda have to read both from a book and follow a tutorial that may or may not be included in the book in order for me to grasp/learn a specific concept.

Upvote 0
i think you just need to start learn by choosing one easy programming language, such as pascal or visual basic , so you can test yourself by creating some simple apps , in the making, you will learn many basic to intermediate general concept/lessons about programming.

after you get the basic then you can move to other programming language you really want to learn (java, android, ios , etc).
remember that you will never good at programming if you never try to make one. so start by picking one programming language.

Upvote 0
Hi RainbowTornado!
To learn to code you have to pick up and understand the basic building blocks.
Start by choosing a language and sticking with that. Pascal was built to teach people to program so that may be useful.
I suggest to starting coding, learn about the basic inputs and outputs (scanf printf etc) and how these are stored as variables (and also constants). Once you've understood these concepts, learn mathematics to manipultate these variables.
Then move onto the different loops - conditional loops (pre and post) and unconditional (timed and infinte). Once all this is understood then you will have the basic knowledge of the basic blocks of a computer program, then you can advance on this.
Unfortunately, programming (so I'm told) is hard for a starter (I say "so I'm told" as I'm a self taught developer who started about the age of 7. I am now a professional developer in the UK and do Android development in what free time I have), not something you can just read and do. To become a programmer you have to DO what you are learning, not just read. There are many ways to do this - follow tutorials, enrol on courses, ask questions (as you have done here).
Why not enrol on a free online programming course?
Also, absorb what Rukbat said in his post above. Programming is a forever changing activity, and don't expect to be a programmer in a weekend or a month. If your thirst for knowledge is there and you want it bad enough then there's no stopping you. If you get stuck then the internet (and this fantastic forum) will be there to help you! :)

All the best in your new hobby and hope it all goes well! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones