• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BoomBoxoid mp3 Player

qodester

Lurker
May 22, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I've developed an application called BoomBoxoid, which is an mp3 music player. It has already been published on the market, but I get complaints from some users stating that it is very laggy on their devices, specifically mid to low spec devices I'm guessing.

It was developed and mostly tested on HTC hero and Desire, runs great on the Desire and decent on the Hero, sometimes a little lag here and there but not enough to make the app unusable, but thats just my experience. Anyway I'm not in a position (almost impossible) to be able to test on all android devices out at the moment so if some of you kind people could help out with some beta testing I would be very grateful.

Ideally I would like some beta testers with mid range devices such as HTC Hero, Tatoo, Samsung Moment, Droid Eris, G1 etc. Some testing on higher range (Nexus, Moto Droid) devices are welcome as well.

The app is available on the market, just do a search for BoomBoxoid. Theres a free version and also a premium and pro version with additional features. Thanks in advance for all your feedback, I'm looking foward to it.

Reactions: K.P.
Well testing on my Desire I wouldn't say it was perfect..

It seems to pick and choose when it has album art (even though in the folder is every possible album art file)

There is quite a delay between changing tracks which is actually causing a brief popping sound.

Everything is pretty laggy, I would expect the pause button to be instant, it is not. The fading also seems to slow down down your progress through the menus. I like the effect but I think it made be compromising the performance of the app.

If I go from the play menu (with the full size album art) then slide to the playlist it seems to dislike me choosing to play the last track! It will not select at all. If I go back through the menus I can choose this rack no problems.

Ok it just did a weird one.. I had it paused on a track then went and selected another track and it played maybe 2 seconds before stopping the track. Selected it again and it plays.

Is the visualisation supposed to work on the free version?

You have a typo on 'Media Preferences'

I hope some of this is useful as I like what you are doing :) however honestly I would be a quite unhappy if i'd paid for the Pro price how it is now and I DO have one of the higher spec phones.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the feedback Ofi and hood420. Ofi you said everything is pretty laggy, what else is laggy apart from the pause button? Also, about the delay between changing tracks, does this happen when you are changing songs in within the main player screen? Or is it when you try to change tracks from the other screens such as songs, playlists, genre etc?

We also plan to support other formats in the future namely ogg and wma. Once again thank you for the feedback, I look forward to more.

Upvote 0
The lag I experience i'm not sure if it is deliberate. But I feel like the fading is taking almost twice as long as it should be. I'm not sure if they fade process is just slow or if the fade process is causing it to slow if that makes sense.

I get the same delay/pop however I change track. I would say there is between 1 to 1.5 second delay before it changes. Hmm ok I just got a FC and restarted and i'm currently not getting the delay although the pop is still present.

The problems with the album art is pretty consistent though.

Upvote 0
On my Desire there's a little lag which I can live with (very little to none with pause and track-skip, but a lot when switching EQ presets), and ogg/m4a/wma really ought to be there.

It sounds quite nice, and the EQ presets make it worth paying 2.50 however...

It stutters and stops A LOT while using both the standard browser and Dolphin, the Android Market, and one or two other things I tried. I can live with having the good EQ sound when not doing anything else, or flat sound when I'm using a browser on the train...but if Mixzing (or anyone else) successfully gets EQ and non-stop-during-browsing together, that'll be my default player of choice. Or maybe it'll all sort itself out with Froyo?

Even though I don't use them, playlist-option should be there.

There ought to be some sort of visual with the various EQ-presets to indicate where the levels would be set if it were physical.

The widget ought to go to the programme with a tap or double-tap AND it is still showing the same album/song that was playing when I first put the widget on a home-screen (not the new album/track playing) AND the widget controls are sketchy. It pauses, but does not restart.

(Deisre, Vodafone)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones