• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] hot spot

Don't use use the WiFi tether app with the yellow wireless signal, I used that app before and boost mobile somehow found out that I was tethering large amounts of data. I recommend you use PDA net or barnacle WiFi tether. I have the full paid version of PDA net and it works flawlessly.

I have been using "wifi tether for root users" for several months now with no problem. If I have large amounts of data to download I try to spread it out over time if possible. But as far as normal use it's great.

Upvote 0
http://db.tt/USnaqubd <--- barnicle
http://db.tt/edArSxmV <--- pda net
pdanet is better off connecting with your data cable. Foxfi is very sluggish and yeah it'll freeze your phone. here's what I do. I connect my pda net first (install exe and drivers) connect to pda and have your Internet connection after that run barnicle and connect to barnicle through your wifi. You'll have a double connection and your computer's Internet Speed will work faster. Although keep in mind that method doesn't work for everyone but it doesn't hurt to try.

Upvote 0
Don't use use the WiFi tether app with the yellow wireless signal, I used that app before and boost mobile somehow found out that I was tethering large amounts of data. I recommend you use PDA net or barnacle WiFi tether. I have the full paid version of PDA net and it works flawlessly.

I'll second that for Barnacle. Great app if you don't mind only being able to broadcast ad-hoc.

Upvote 0
How do you get other devices to recognize your signal?

If you're using Barnacle you're pretty much limited to only PCs connecting to you. Most other devices - even other Android ones - won't be able to connect via an ad-hoc network. If you need other devices to be able to connect to you, you're better off trying the "Tether for Root Users" app. IIRC, it can broadcast in infrastructure mode, which will basically make your phone look like a regular wireless router to just about everything.

Upvote 0
If you're using Barnacle you're pretty much limited to only PCs connecting to you. Most other devices - even other Android ones - won't be able to connect via an ad-hoc network. If you need other devices to be able to connect to you, you're better off trying the &quot;Tether for Root Users&quot; app. IIRC, it can broadcast in infrastructure mode, which will basically make your phone look like a regular wireless router to just about everything.

I downloaded the green wireless tether for root users but it don't give the option to change to iirc

Upvote 0
I downloaded the green wireless tether for root users but it don't give the option to change to iirc

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

That said, there is no IIRC option. As far as I know (figured I better not type "AFAIK" :p) the app always broadcasts in infrastructure mode, so you have nothing to bother with settings-wise on that front.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones