• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] I think i seriously bricked my phone**plz help**

n0ve

Android Expert
Feb 21, 2012
Upstate New York
I Cannot believe i'm even writing this, based on my knowledge, experience, and the fact that i have helped so many others with phone problems...anyway here it goes...as i stated in other threads, for 48 hours ive been without signal...I was told it was due to tower upgrades, blah blah, Last night i called again, was told that there was an error on their end that they corrected but in my low signal area the activation process can take a very long time to fully finish on my end...anyway i was up till 5 a.m. still couldn't make calls...so...I decided to open up DFS ( the tool i use to flash PRL's, and change my MSL ), and I had this strange feeling that i was dealing with a NAM issue...now I stupidly did not backup all the stock settings, but what i DID do was...under the NAM tab, after connnecting and unlocking phone...there was a box for NAM = 0. I found that odd, figured what the heck, and changed the 0 to a 1, b/c technically it is NAM1 the phone should be using, anyway, after that, the phone would not boot past android logo...wont even connect to pc while stuck in bootloader...tried hard reset tried all combinations of vol+- everything ( it was stock at the time so should have been able to get to stock recovery but nope, nothing) Only progress I've made so far is I can get the phone into "Downloading" mode, done by VOL+ and VOL- And PWR all together (red led lights up), this DOES allow the pc to read it as diagnostic port, which therefore connects to DFS again, but in downloading mode, all the settings are gone, and I do a thing. I'm at a complete loss here...Id really appreciate any input...I think it may just be a lost cause...(which i did tell Appollo i never believed in before rofl, but now i do)...Any input, i'd appreciate...So frustrating i JUST got it back from ZTE...tower issues/can't make calls..so i played around, and boom its bricked...(Since I do have a decent amt of knowledge i've tried alot of things, and the only way i've gotten the PC to read the phone at all was in DOWNLOADING MODE , which nobody has ever discussed on this forum, does anyone know a way to flash recovery or reset while in downloading mode? Otherwise, I really have no clue what to do...I'd greatly appreciate any input...Thanks.
nam.JPG

I Cannot believe i'm even writing this, based on my knowledge, experience, and the fact that i have helped so many others with phone problems...anyway here it goes...as i stated in other threads, for 48 hours ive been without signal...I was told it was due to tower upgrades, blah blah, Last night i called again, was told that there was an error on their end that they corrected but in my low signal area the activation process can take a very long time to fully finish on my end...anyway i was up till 5 a.m. still couldn't make calls...so...I decided to open up DFS ( the tool i use to flash PRL's, and change my MSL ), and I had this strange feeling that i was dealing with a NAM issue...now I stupidly did not backup all the stock settings, but what i DID do was...under the NAM tab, after connnecting and unlocking phone...there was a box for NAM = 0. I found that odd, figured what the heck, and changed the 0 to a 1, b/c technically it is NAM1 the phone should be using, anyway, after that, the phone would not boot past android logo...wont even connect to pc while stuck in bootloader...tried hard reset tried all combinations of vol+- everything ( it was stock at the time so should have been able to get to stock recovery but nope, nothing) Only progress I've made so far is I can get the phone into "Downloading" mode, done by VOL+ and VOL- And PWR all together (red led lights up), this DOES allow the pc to read it as diagnostic port, which therefore connects to DFS again, but in downloading mode, all the settings are gone, and I do a thing. I'm at a complete loss here...Id really appreciate any input...I think it may just be a lost cause...(which i did tell Appollo i never believed in before rofl, but now i do)...Any input, i'd appreciate...So frustrating i JUST got it back from ZTE...tower issues/can't make calls..so i played around, and boom its bricked...(Since I do have a decent amt of knowledge i've tried alot of things, and the only way i've gotten the PC to read the phone at all was in DOWNLOADING MODE , which nobody has ever discussed on this forum, does anyone know a way to flash recovery or reset while in downloading mode? Otherwise, I really have no clue what to do...I'd greatly appreciate any input...Thanks.

sounds like a hard brick ill do some research to see if theres anything i can do to undo it for you but as for my knowledge its irreverible give me a few buddy and ill get back to you on this :D
not 100% this is accurate but what the hey what have you got to lose?
http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/Unbrick

Upvote 0
or you can use your smooth talking skills to say there "fix" messed up the phone XD
LOL I am already preparing that...but yeah that last link u posted, might work IF i were able to get the PC to read the phone, only way it reads it is in downloading mode which doesnt allow anything to be transferred to the phone, can only pull files...cannot use adb...cannot use handset update...cannot use...anything...its crazy but changing one number on DFS from nam 0 ( which doesnt make sense, the damn phone uses nam1, to name 1, and its bricked instantly) ...back to my crappy incognito that i used my smooth talking to get for free...but i just want my warp back lol i only had it back a few days ;P

Upvote 0
Dude... you were trying to fix something that was unfixable... boost has been rushing to increase the 4g coverage and pretty much everyone has had this issue... I saw where you said that your area now had 4g coverage... their recent work is screwing with your signal... and I think you are completely bricked... unfortunately... :-(... try to get zte to refix it....

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Upvote 0
LOL I am already preparing that...but yeah that last link u posted, might work IF i were able to get the PC to read the phone, only way it reads it is in downloading mode which doesnt allow anything to be transferred to the phone, can only pull files...cannot use adb...cannot use handset update...cannot use...anything...its crazy but changing one number on DFS from nam 0 ( which doesnt make sense, the damn phone uses nam1, to name 1, and its bricked instantly) ...back to my crappy incognito that i used my smooth talking to get for free...but i just want my warp back lol i only had it back a few days ;P

like i said it might be possible youll need those things i said ill try to find a good guide so ill get back to you soon

Upvote 0
Not sure if this would help but, my phone did the same thing to me. i didnt change the nam settings though, think i was just flashing roms/kernals. I was stuck on bootloader mode, did a batter pull, hold pwr up or down,, all that and still on bootloader, it did get into downloading mode, but couldn't do anything from there. still stuck on bootloader. I turned the phone off, battery pull, put battery back in, hooked up the usb cord (original) to my laptop. turn the phone on and my laptop found the device and use the oneclick root installer program by snakex, flashed cwm and got my phone to recovery mode, then i just reflashed the rom from my sd card or maybe backup and got it working again. it did get my phone to boot up again..took a little while to boot up the first time. dont know if it will help you with your case, but it did get mine working again.. not sure on your signal issue good luck, hope this helps.

monster from the marquee section had a problem with prl update in an old thread
http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/513074-prl-update-warning.html

Upvote 0
Dude... you were trying to fix something that was unfixable... boost has been rushing to increase the 4g coverage and pretty much everyone has had this issue... I saw where you said that your area now had 4g coverage... their recent work is screwing with your signal... and I think you are completely bricked... unfortunately... :-(... try to get zte to refix it....

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

bro i know i know im inpatient and it was 48 hrs + w/out being able to make a damn phone call...so honestly when u see that NAM has a 0 next to it, i naturally assumed why not put 1, we use nam1 technically...and yeah i think its completely bricked too...i read through i didnt notice many if any say they couldnt make calls for 2 days straight..anyway the point is, i've helped many many people on here, yes i tried something that happened to cause a problem , I'm aware what i was trying to do wasn't my problem to begin with...I just wanted to give it a shot , ty for your bluntness but yeah I'm fully aware bro..so any positive input / ideas would be appreciated if you have any, otherwise, thanks ;p

Upvote 0
bro i know i know im inpatient and it was 48 hrs + w/out being able to make a damn phone call...so honestly when u see that NAM has a 0 next to it, i naturally assumed why not put 1, we use nam1 technically...and yeah i think its completely bricked too...i read through i didnt notice many if any say they couldnt make calls for 2 days straight..

Smooth talk your way to a new phone :D

Upvote 0
If your in adb, you may be able to manipulate it via an exploit to see if you can acess root shell to push some files around in there to get it working again. I might be able to help you if you say adb works.

I can ONLY get the phone into DOWNLOADER mode which does not allow adb, i am trying to figure out the ODIN samsung tool, but not sure which files to load...b/c that tool does read the phone..

Upvote 0
have you tried qpst? you may be a connect and read from qpst in dm mode. once in qpst, service programming or rf nv item manager may help you restore your nam config.
Yes, unfortunately in DOWNLOADER mode, those features are unavailable. TY for your input though. I pretty much know its shot, since I've been working on these phones for a long time, I'm most likely going today to switch to sprint pcs contract phone, yes I'll be spending another $15+ / month but I will be able to get a discounted phone, and better signal.

edit: at the same time, I already spoke to ZTE, they think they messed up my phone lol, and will have it repaired again, at that which time i shall sell the phone.

Upvote 0
or download the zte Handset software update tool maybe that will work never know

Handset update tool works in FTM mode only, i cannot access it, Appreciate the tip though, i expected not to find an answer b/c I pretty much have done everything, and worked on so many other peoples phones I know the deal, what i did to cause this I'd never experiment w/ someone elses phone but i figured my phone why not...lol

Upvote 0
Handset update tool works in FTM mode only, i cannot access it, Appreciate the tip though, i expected not to find an answer b/c I pretty much have done everything, and worked on so many other peoples phones I know the deal, what i did to cause this I'd never experiment w/ someone elses phone but i figured my phone why not...lol

Lol yeah thats true but i know when someone needs help u always there which is cool. We need a lot more people like u around lolol

Reactions: n0ve
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones